Author Topic: What at the top of your LDP/ national trail list  (Read 4924 times)

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
Mine would be to do them all in one go. Take a year out of work and go travelling around Britain starting from the south and working my way up to the North end. But for now I would love to do the Ridgeway and the Pennine way hopefully next year. Now the southern upland way. Am doing in Easter next year which I had my eye on for a long time I think since doing the West highland way. Or just before that.  But which one would you like to do and way.   
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
Re: What at the top of your LDP/ national trail list
« Reply #1 on: 18:03:18, 21/09/07 »
Oooo, good thread idea ..

Mine would have to be Lands End to John O'Groats.  I want to experience at foot speed the gradual change of the landscape, and the telling difference as one accent fades into another.  I remember reading John Hillerby's account of walking the same walk, and it made an impact.  Whenever I think of the walker I want to develop into, he is always striding confidently over countie lines and accross borders!

Also, I like distance walking .. I always want to go that little but further, do the extra mile, and if nothing else, Lands End to John O'Groats is epic!  8)

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 00:03:55, 24/09/07 »
My God

YOUR ALL MAD.....  ;D ;D ;D

But i love you.

We could get are heads together and design are own walk and call it, maybe the

Walking Forum  Distance Path ?   :o :o
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:01:49, 24/09/07 »
Or we could call it walking hell hehe!!!
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

Snowman

« Reply #4 on: 09:22:10, 25/09/07 »
In the UK mine has to be the SW Coast Path.    I have that in mind for when I retire (a long way off yet) as I would just love to go off for a couple of months and lose myself in the experience.

Further afield, I would like to do the Pyrenean Coast to Coast, i.e. from the Atlantic to the Med.

But I also have in the back of my mind, the West Highland Way, the C to C, the Penine Way ...

I've also done some planning of my own, for a shortish unofficial LDP.    Having walked the 2 Moors Way, I noted that the path crosses the Eastern side of Dartmoor.   While I have no problem with that and understand the reasoning (the west side is where the ranges are, which restricts when they can be walked), I would like to do a South to North traverse across West Dartmoor.   This really is wild country, with few footpaths and where good navigation is essential.   The terrain is very difficult in parts, so I've been thinking in terms of a 3 day walk to get from Ivybridge to (perhaps) Okehampton, with probably no option but to wild camp.

S.

Feriol

« Reply #5 on: 17:26:33, 26/09/07 »
Pembrokeshire Coast path for me.

Quite fancy several of the treks in Trail mag this month as well.
sun dogs fire on the horizon
meteor rain stars across the night
this moment may be brief
but it can be so bright
(Rush - Chain Lightning)

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 10:22:07, 03/10/07 »
Nobody up for our own walk then ?

COME ON, lets all pick a route, a route section or area.

i'll start 2nd to last, Oops sorry 2nd day of the C2C section, past the lake through the forrest, up past blacksail yha and onwards towards the slate quary [stop for lunch] then carry on towards Bulls crag, up the water fall over the moss, down and over top ridges towards Grassmare, and finishing in the village or cont up towards HellV and stop at the lake, plantion or down in Patterdale.

Thoughts/ideas   ???
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy