Author Topic: A little map reading quiz  (Read 2863 times)

Nick5912

Re: A little map reading quiz
« Reply #15 on: 11:08:57, 10/07/19 »
Just 1 wrong although I disagree!

Last question I wouldn't wear plenty of layers but would have plenty of layers available!

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 11:59:08, 10/07/19 »
As Sir John Major wants a judicial review about suspending Parliament I want one about the answer of the mileage from Birmingham.  Just checked on Google, the answer is XXX not XXXX as XXX is only 4185 miles from Birmingham, Alabama.  The others are all over 4200 miles!

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 12:04:40, 10/07/19 »
The problem with these things is always the compilers, either lacking linguistic precision or wandering out of correct scope. As others have said, the nearest town question is nothing to do with map skills.

I disagree with the last one, about what you should always do. Wearing plenty of layers would not be good today!
Exactly.
So if the temperature is 33C with no wind and humid, you should always wear plenty of layers. Oh right. Well there is always MRT if you get heatstroke. It might have been a credible question if it had said "take sufficient layers" or something like that.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 12:51:58, 10/07/19 »
Well I guess it's how you interpret 'plenty of layers', could mean 4 or maybe only one.  That's how I read it anyway  ;D
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 17:48:09, 10/07/19 »
Same with the food and drink element.  I am sufficiently beyond the snowflake generation to be able to go out into the wilderness without a bottle of water clutched in my hot and sticky, let alone food  - especially if there is a pub at the end.  Mrs N is even worse - I think she is part camel.
All day treks - yes,  hot and hilly - certainly, but a half day walk in normal conditions?
Solvitur Ambulando

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 18:50:50, 10/07/19 »
... Mrs N is even worse - I think she is part camel...

Why?  Has she got the hump.................ba-booooom!

Sorry, someone had to say it.

(I'll get mi coat  :-[  )

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 19:19:19, 10/07/19 »

Why?  Has she got the hump.................ba-booooom!

I'll tell her and she will look down her nose at you.....................counter ba-booooom!
Solvitur Ambulando

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 19:35:56, 10/07/19 »
Is her favourite Christmas carol "o-camel ye faithful"?   :D

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 20:23:00, 10/07/19 »
Is her favourite Christmas carol "o-camel ye faithful"?   :D
Solvitur Ambulando

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 10:42:12, 11/07/19 »
8, got the first distance question wrong, to be fair was just guesstimating distance by eye. Was not sure at all which place was closest to Brum, got lucky there.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 07:04:20, 12/07/19 »

9/9  :) 
Though distance from Birmingham was a complete guess - just chose the one I couldn't place - not a map reading question anyway as already said.
Why 9 questions - 10 out of 10 sounds much better
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Jim Parkin

« Reply #26 on: 18:04:52, 16/07/19 »
I disagree with the last one, about what you should always do. Wearing plenty of layers would not be good today!
Exactly

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 19:14:16, 16/07/19 »
Just preparing for tomorrow's walk. Will be wearing shorts, short-sleeved shirt and sun hat. Not taking waterproofs or any warm clothing. If it wasn't for sandwiches and drinks I wouldn't even need my rucksack.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 21:54:39, 16/07/19 »
Just preparing for tomorrow's walk. Will be wearing shorts, short-sleeved shirt and sun hat. Not taking waterproofs or any warm clothing. If it wasn't for sandwiches and drinks I wouldn't even need my rucksack.

Are you  heading into the mountains?. Where ever I wish you a safe walk.  Personaly I would never set out for a walk in a remote area without a mid layer waterproof and an emergency pack.  Funnily enough we commented on our group walk on Sunday about a fell runner on Dartmoor.  A busted ankle at sunset and he could have been lying there for several hours, cold no food very little to drink. It's not like modern kit heavy.   Compaired to the 100kg I weigh, a waterproof and emergency kit weigh very little.

Fair enough you don't need them for a walk to the pub.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 21:49:10, 18/07/19 »

Agreed! Take plenty of layers would be more appropriate phrasing.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy