Author Topic: gore-tex waterproofs  (Read 11830 times)

summitzero

• Veteran Member
Re: gore-tex waterproofs
« Reply #15 on: 14:16:29, 14/04/07 »
£20 cant be bad

i've heard some good reports for these pants :)
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

howardfernlover

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 13:16:42, 16/04/07 »
Sorry to be a sceptic, Titaniumdude, but I rather fear that you will find that they are EX army trousers for only £20 because they are worn out and no further use to the army.  They might be all right as overtrousers for fishing, or paintballing, but I'll be surprised if they keep your legs dry for long.

titaniumdude

« Reply #17 on: 16:47:28, 16/04/07 »
I considered that possibility so I looked for reviews on other sites and found some very positive comments on outdoorsmagic (5/5 stars with half a dozen reviews, non negative).  I then started a thread there and got all positive responses from regular users.  Fortunately I also had the common sense to buy these from an ebay power seller who not only has a long standing ebay store, but his own web store and sells hundreds of items.  He has 100% positive feedback on ebay and promises to satisfy rather than get a negative feedback if customers are not happy.  Army surplus gear is all graded ranging from commercial new and second hand new (ie bought, but not used ) through to grade 3.  Grade 3 being extensive wear and/or repair.  In between there is super condition and grade 1 and 2.  The pair I bought was rated grade 1 which according to the scale are ' used, with some signs of wear, but no significant wear/or repairs'.  If this isn't the case I'm sure the seller will replace to avoid my negative feedback.  At the end of the day they were sold as 'waterproof overtrousers' so if they don't fit this description I will push for a replacement.  Should arrive soon so I'll let you all know.  Furthermore I have, as I previously said, used army surplus extensively when I was younger and perhaps less able to afford anything else (I am trying hard to remember any disappointments, but can't) and always found the gear did exactly what it says on the box.. 

Oh yeah!  And my £100 goretex pants didn't keep my legs dry for very long so they can only prove equal to some techy stuff at a fraction of the monetary loss.
« Last Edit: 16:49:35, 16/04/07 by titaniumdude »
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 02:19:08, 17/04/07 »
I hope you dont get offended but i disagree.  :o

You can get some bargins, when buying old mil stock, alot of ex forces. come out with kit they no longer need or think they need and sell it on.  Lets face it most of our mil waterproof kit does'nt get that used or hard use anyway  :-X

In my humble ex booty opinion ;D
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

titaniumdude

« Reply #19 on: 00:55:04, 23/04/07 »
Okay.  Well got the ex army dpm goretex overtrousers and inspected them closely.  Apart from some crud left over from the previous owners last yomp they're in perfect condition.  Turned them inside out to inspect the taped seems and they're all solid.  Washed them and inspected them again and to all intensive purposes they look new.  The only damage was that the dwr had worn off and I've rectified this.  The elasticated trouser leg seems fine.  Still able to get them on over a boot cos it's not thet restrictive, but does perhaps negate the use of a gaiter except in poor conditions.  Having said that they are very basic, no vents, zips etc.  Definetely for a wet day rather than a shower and I imagine they would be warm under exertion.  Weighed in (am I sad?) at 320g so not even heavy.
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

titaniumdude

« Reply #20 on: 12:01:57, 25/04/07 »
Right ok, the pants were a bit of a digression from the original reason that I started this thread which was because I got repeatedly let down by my mountain equipment gore tex jacket.  This got sent back to gore tex via ME and they have just got back after a month to say that the materail was indeeed faulty (which explains why I was ssip wet through after half hour on the Screes at Wasdale.  They've now said they will replace it with another matrix (but in grey) or an Ogre jacket.  What do folks think.  Stay with the lightweight or go for XCR all round. 

Snowman

« Reply #21 on: 09:46:36, 26/04/07 »
Horses for courses as they say.

Personally I sweat a lot when mountain walking, and a full-on waterproof isn't much good as even the most breathable fabric can't disperse the volume of liquid I'm putting out so I end up wet anyway.    I therefore always carry my lightweight during summer, and rely on the addition of a fleece when I stop and cool down.

S.

titaniumdude

« Reply #22 on: 21:26:25, 26/04/07 »
I'm with you on that one.   I run hot and always end up a bit damp.  Already got a year round jacket in the superfly xt so this was a bit of a no brainer really (they threw me by offering a different replacement).  So it's a new matrix cos I know it's gonna spend most of its time in my pack anyway with the guaranteed globally warmed weather. ;)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy