Author Topic: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?  (Read 292363 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?
« Reply #1410 on: 16:10:41, 05/09/20 »

The Tulipak jacket has just been delivered - less than 24 hours after I placed the order! Thumbs up to The Climbers Shop for service  O0

Very impressed with it, first impressions very good, and the 'Acid' colour is not too lurid - will give it a try out on the hill later today (wild camping trip already planned but didn't think that it would arrive in time).

Well, the Tupilak jacket certainly got a good test yesterday, gale force winds and driving rain showers on Helvellyn, followed by more persistent rain down in the valley - it came through with flying colours. The hood is brilliant - although it is sized to wear over a helmet, drawcords can be used to reduce it to head size, and the fit is really good around the face, made me feel a bit indestructible, just what you want when things turn nasty on the hill.

Also like the two cavernous 'Napoleon' pockets - much more useful than the usual lower pocket position, which is useless if you are using a rucksack with a hip belt.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1411 on: 22:09:14, 24/09/20 »
We had our first proper Covid shopping trip yesterday to Taunton Leisure in Taunton to replace Mrs N's boots which are showing signs of being beyond economic repair.  She was after another pair of Altberg Fremington Lady Lites.  We phoned the shop in advance to confirm that had stock in her size and width as it is a longish trip.
I have to say the service was very impressive.  The entry to the shop was well controlled and they made sure we were correctly masked and used the sanitiser on entry.  There was loads of space between the fitting points in the boot area so we felt really comfortable. The young lady who served us was a model of efficiency and politeness as well as being very knowledgeable.  She measured Mrs N's feet thoroughly and made sure that my wife tried on different widths so she was satisfied that she had the best possible fit.  She even used a surgeon's knot while tying the boots to vary the lace tension. While we were there I picked some more socks and some spare rubber tips for my poles.
As we left the shop, the area we had used was being thoroughly cleaned ready for the next customer.
I would thoroughly recommend the shop if you want good service from a knowledgeable staff.  They also have a mail order service via the internet if you know what you want.

Mrs N is now wearing her boots round the house to make sure they remain a perfect fit.  As we have wooden floors, it sounds like we have been invaded by divers!
Solvitur Ambulando

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1412 on: 09:55:58, 25/09/20 »
+1 O0 for Taunton Leisure. I use the Exeter shop.

and they will match prices if you ask
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1413 on: 16:47:48, 25/09/20 »
Craghoppers Expolite padded Jacket, for a simply crazy price of £20 + £3.99 p+p directly from Craghoppers main website.
The asking price was simply too good to turn down, and for a moment i thought it was a error, until i clicked instantly on the PayPal payment, which accepted my order.

It did take over a week to arrive, from Manchester, but arrive it did, and everything is as to be expected, all the packaging was Craghoppers with the tags still in Stu.

Why so cheap?

Its in that nice lite coffee colour, so possibly its old stock, and a colour that they are discontinuing, but £20, thats a serious bargain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1414 on: 17:11:58, 25/09/20 »
Craghoppers Expolite padded Jacket, for a simply crazy price of £20 + £3.99 p+p directly from Craghoppers main website.

Looks as if you got a bargain, as a new Expolite sells for £100 on their website.  You must have had the last one, as they are no longer listed.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1415 on: 17:15:04, 25/09/20 »
I noticed that they are no longer listed on their website, but the jacket has not been discontinued, so all i can think of, is that it was old stock, sold off at come and buy me prices.
£20 just seemed so cheap, but its a nice jacket, and i particularly like the hood, and its very close comfortable fitting.

cornwallcoastpathdweller

« Reply #1416 on: 20:44:42, 28/09/20 »
Bought myself a nice new lightweight sleeping mat.

Cant work out how to post photo's so ive added it as my profile picture.

I need my comfort ! :D
one step then another then another then a bench - please?

Viclikestowalk

« Reply #1417 on: 14:46:41, 29/09/20 »
A pair of Altra High Peak 4s, which is super exciting, as at nearly 40 this is the first pair of adult walking shoes I have ever owned/fit in.

I have very tiny Feet.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1418 on: 21:43:39, 30/09/20 »
A Highlander hiking hat, £9.95 with free postage. Not sure if it will be any good but a cheap price.

veracocha

« Reply #1419 on: 18:44:43, 01/10/20 »
I got so wet through last Friday (goretex jacket failure) going up Dove Crag that on Saturday morning I was off to Gaynors and purchased a Lhotse jacket. I couldn't believe the difference in breathability between the two jackets.

Little Foot

« Reply #1420 on: 10:38:34, 03/10/20 »
 Not exactly for me walking, but I’ve paid for it, and it will be used on my walks. I have bought the dog an Equafleece dog suit to keep her warm and dry on any winter walks. She’s a little thing who hates baths, but for some reason loves to gently paddle even in the muddiest of puddles. Wonder how this suit will cope with that.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1421 on: 11:13:40, 03/10/20 »
I got so wet through last Friday (goretex jacket failure) going up Dove Crag that on Saturday morning I was off to Gaynors and purchased a Lhotse jacket. I couldn't believe the difference in breathability between the two jackets.

Good call. My Lhotse survived 5 years of hard use before being retired to light dog walking duties - the best jacket that I have ever owned.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1422 on: 14:29:55, 04/10/20 »
A Decathlon neck pouch (for phone and cards) adapted for me by my wife's friend. The actual neck strap is from and old hiking stick.

Rivingtonboots

« Reply #1423 on: 09:53:41, 05/10/20 »
A Rab Nexus mid layer pull that will be better as a base layer.
I wore is yesterday and it passed its test although it's an M rather than the L I thought I'd bought🤔

A pair of Scarpa Rangers for my missus which she'll try out later up Lattrig, 2 pairs of socks each and another coat for Polo the staffie , this time a packable one.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1424 on: 12:41:03, 05/10/20 »
I ordered a Highlander waterproof winter cap for £10 with free postage and it arrived this morning. It's to replace the Lowe Alpine one that I lost a while ago. Obviously, I have not used it yet but as soon as I put it on my head and looked in the mirror I could tell it has a design plus which was lacking in my Lowe Alpine hat.

When I owned the Lowe Alpine hat I had to fit a length of elasticated cord to fit under my chin when it was windy, if not the hat felt unstable and in high winds it felt as though it would blow off my head. The ear coverings areas were also a bit 'flappy' and I often had to pull the cord tighter to get a good seal from the cold.

The Highlander hat fits more snuggly around my head and over my ears and my first impression is that I won't have to fit a cord to this one. I need to properly test it in rain and wind, so as yet I don't know if its waterproofing qualites are as good as the Lowe Alpine? Both hats are sold as medium sized.

The Highlander looks and feels well made so until I can test it properly I am pleased that this hat was £20 cheaper that my last one.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy