Author Topic: Youth Hostels  (Read 2360 times)

Dale

Youth Hostels
« on: 17:49:03, 21/05/06 »
Whilst Youth Hostels were once the domain of the free traveller they seemed to adopted by drivers throughout the late eighties and I wonder if they still have the same appeal?

A friend recently informed me that chores are no longer part of the morning ritual. Is this a good thing?

Have the prices of hostelling caught up with B&Bs?

Anyone been to the hostel on Mull at Tobermory?

jemmaloujo

Re: Youth Hostels
« Reply #1 on: 15:53:39, 22/05/06 »
The majority of the smaller hostels out in the countryside still have alot of the same character, even though they do allow cars now they still cater to the outdoor adventurer along with cycles and muddy walking boots.

The chores have indeed been abolished......and many now have single and double rooms not just the old style dorms.

The prices are still fairly cheap too.......I'd say about £10 to £20 per night depending where the hostel is and what sort of room you stay in.

Check out the YHA website www.yha.org [nofollow] or www.hihostels.com [nofollow]

Hope all that helps :)

Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 22:13:11, 23/05/06 »
It's great news that they're abolished the chores. I hated that part of youth hostelling. I was on holiday and I didn't want to mop out the toilets thank you. I would have gladly paid an extra couple of quid to avoid that. Mind you, we weren't the average youth hostellers. We did it in a sports car, and ate out in restaurants every right! ;D

When did they abolish the chores?

Although I know they do a great service to students and backpackers on a budget, I don't think it would hurt to go upmarket a little. After all they own some fabulous buildings in beautiful locations, which many people would happily pay for if the comforts were there.

jemmaloujo

« Reply #3 on: 09:57:48, 24/05/06 »
erm.....not sure when they abolished the chores......I've never had to do them and I'm 21....so maybe before my time  :D

Yeh alot of them are getting very upmarket. I recently stayed in one in Stockholm and it was basically just a cheap hotel room. Had a double bed, an ensuite bathroom and even a sofa! I think they are realsing that people want somewhere cheap to stay that isn't a shed!

batfink21

« Reply #4 on: 15:57:01, 24/05/06 »
If you plan to stay at YHA accommodation, make sure you book in advance to get the best rooms. You find that the rooms are usually given to familys with children - for obvious reasons I assume. My girlfriend and I turned up late to the one in Whitby and ended up in very full dorm rooms full of squeeky bunk beds and snoring cyclists. Probably the worst nights sleep I've ever had, I was not in a very good mood the next day walking back to Ravenscar!

It also seemed quite expensive (we're not members though) - about £40 for both of us with breakfast. No chores though!

Mairi

« Reply #5 on: 02:04:03, 21/01/08 »
My worst YHA experience was at the one near Ben Nevis. They managed to pack 16 women up to the rafters into one small airless dorm, including several snorers, and when I remarked the next day how full the hostel was, I was told the rest of the place was practically empty. The lazy boogers wanted to minimise cleaning by crowding everyone into a couple of rooms.
The best YHA was the one in Glen Doll, fantastic managers and beautiful surroundings. Pity it's been sold and is no longer a hostel. Aysgarth & Carbisdale Castle are also worth a look-in.
P.S. travellers doing the chores ceased sometime between 1984 and 1991.

Snowman

« Reply #6 on: 12:45:25, 21/01/08 »
The best YHA was the one in Glen Doll, fantastic managers and beautiful surroundings. Pity it's been sold and is no longer a hostel.

This is my major beef with the YHA.    My favourite was Capel-y-ffin in the Brecons, which has also been sold.    One thing that can't be said of the YHA is that it is democratic.    When the last round of closures was announced, there was no consultation with members, and there were a significant number of complaints from members, but did the YHA take any notice?    Did it hell.

My understanding, and reason for joining in the first place, was that the YHA's raison d'etre was to provide affordable accommodation primarily for those who have travelled under their own steam (i.e. walking, canoeing, cycling etc) .    But it seems now to care more for city hostels and car drivers as it appears only the more accessible (and therefore more profitable) hostels are being fully supported.    In my view the YHA has totally lost sight of it's objectives as a charity in the pursuit of profit.

Having said that, the grassroots people who run the hostels do seem to appreciate the basis on which the Association was formed, and have a respect for those who have walked 20 miles to get there rather than driven up the road.    We once arrived at a hostel to be told that there was no-one to cook the evening meal so could we make other arrangements.    We'd walked 22 miles that day over mountains and with full packs, and the nearest pub was about 8 miles away so alternative arrangements were not really feasible, but somehow a meal appeared for which we were truly thankful.

The only major problem I've had with the hostels themselves is getting a booking.    Sometimes it seems that if you don't book several months ahead, forget it.

Following on from what others have said, yes you can get 'private' rooms, although these are not always particularly large.    At Llwyn-y-celyn for example, we had to take it in turns to get dressed as there's literally not enough room in the 2 bed rooms for two to move about.   There are others that have (for example) 4 bed rooms, but if there's 2 of  you and you want a room to yourself you have to pay for all 4 beds.   

Also, I guess due to staffing, as mentioned above you can't always guarantee to get an evening meal, although they often have a supply of prepackaged food (such as Pot Noodles) which you can run through the microwave, but don't rely on that as I have ended up with nothing more than a Mars bar from the vending machine.

Oh yes, and a lot of hostels are now licenced, or I should say that the warden is licenced.   This is an important distinction because if the warden is off somewhere, his/her deputy will not necessarily be able to sell you an alcoholic drink unless he/she is also licenced.

S.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy