Author Topic: Advice for a multi day trip in Ireland  (Read 3698 times)

markc7

Advice for a multi day trip in Ireland
« on: 13:59:27, 01/03/18 »
Hi folks, I'm going to Ireland in June and will have 3 nights to go hiking, backpacking, and mountain climbing. I'm looking for suggestions.

We will have a car, and can travel pretty much anywhere on the island. We'd love to camp but that's not essential.

Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Zizag

• Veteran Member
Re: Advice for a multi day trip in Ireland
« Reply #1 on: 16:44:27, 01/03/18 »
Hi Marc .
Go by fast ferry from Holyhead Anglesey .
I.E   Stena or Irish Ferries  2 hr crossing to Dublin Port .  For the short time you have available .
 Out of Dublin

Drive South To County Wicklow along the East coast road For all your hiking ,walking Camping .
Wicklow Mountains tracks trails lakes Beautiful scenery and lots of history .  :) O0
Hope this Helps
Zizag

Alan Kilroy

« Reply #2 on: 10:45:42, 03/03/18 »
Co. Wicklow.
You can base in Laragh, hostel and hotel. Glendalough less than a mile down the road, great hiking area.

Glenmalure, next valley down, Glenmalure Lodge, caters for hikers etc. Accom. and pints. Less touristy than Glendalough/Laragh, great hiking area.

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:59:45, 04/03/18 »
Irish mountain ranges include Wicklow mountains, Comeraghs, Slieve Bloom mountains, Galtees, Dingle Peninsula, west Cork, Macgillycuddy Reeks which includes Ireland's highest mountain Carrauntoohil, Slieve Mish mountains, Croagh Patrick, walks in Mayo and Galway. Donegal has three or four mountains ranges. When you decide on a region, feel free to message again for further suggestions. In Northern Ireland, the main mountain range is the Mournes. :)

markc7

« Reply #4 on: 13:17:26, 05/03/18 »
Hi Henry,

Thanks! I've been looking at Macgillycuddy Reeks   because I love the idea of climbing a country high point. It looks like there are lots of Marilyns down there as well.  

I'd love to wild camp, but if not I can camp at a commercial site.

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:51:16, 05/03/18 »
You've selected wisely O0 . That's my favourite region. Nearest village is Killarney. I think you can buy Harvey 1:25 000 maps. I've done Carrauntoohil three times and my favourite route is via brother O'Shea's gully which is grassy. Finest walk is the Coomloughra Horseshoe which takes in the highest three peaks but there are narrow ridges and require a head for heights esp Beenkeragh ridge. I've not done it but I'm told its a great walk. Purple, Tomies mountain is another option. If the weather is down, parts of the Kerry way could be a possibility. Torc mountain offers fine views of the Lakes of Killarney. Hope this helps, Henry

markc7

« Reply #6 on: 17:38:37, 04/04/18 »

Thanks for your advice! Tentative plan looks something like this:

Day 1: drive down from Dublin early morning and do a modest short hike that afternoon. I'm looking at Torc, or maybe Brandon Mountain on the Dingle peninsula.
Day 2: hike Carrauntoohil or maybe the whole Coomloughra Horseshoe.
Day 3-?: drive up to Connemara for a couple days, and hike the Twelve Bens over a few days.

Oh man I can't wait!  ;D

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 15:57:34, 07/04/18 »
Markc7 - Just to advise that I love Brandon but I don't think it would classify as a short walk. It took me 7 hours, A to B walk from a village called Cloghane. It is one of the highest in Ireland, 9th I think. You could base yourself in Killarney and do Torc and Carrauntoohil from there. Brandon is on the DIngle Peninsula and I think is some distance from Killarney. I've done some walks in the Twelve Bens but would like to advise that Connemara isn't great for low level walks on a cloudy day, very few short day excursions in that region. Diamond Hill is probably the only one for a weather window. Let me know if you need more information :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy