Author Topic: Sunhat choice  (Read 6767 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Sunhat choice
« on: 17:42:17, 22/04/20 »
I know the subject has been covered before but I need a new sunhat and it would appear that my choice is basically between a wide brim hat and a 'baseball cap' with a bit of material that hangs from it to cover my ears and neck. What type of hat and make do you use and are you happy with your choice?

I looked up a range of hats on www.outdoorgearlab.com. One wide-brim hat which they call 'very stylish' is a Filson Summer Packer at £75, their second choice is an Outdoor Research Helios less than £30 but described as 'not stylish.'

I just don't think I could live with a baseball cap.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Sunhat choice
« Reply #1 on: 18:12:31, 22/04/20 »
Tilley - no question.  Expensive yes but as tough as a brick dunny.  You can stick it in your luggage, leave it there a day or more and it holds its shape.  Heck, one has passed through the digestive system of an elephant and was still wearable (after a wash). It comes with a life time guarantee too so it will see you out.  And it looks the part.
Solvitur Ambulando

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:15:34, 22/04/20 »
Tilley hat +1

Brandywell

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:23:13, 22/04/20 »
Yep Tilly, I'd mine over 20 years as it says on the label inside - It floats, ties on, repels rain and mildew, won't shrink, and will be replaced free if it wears out (yes put in your will)  O0
Watch where you are putting your feet : AW

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:23:43, 22/04/20 »
I love my Tilley hat.  O0

About this time last year, we were in the Peak District in a heat wave. I would fill my hat with water from a stream, tip it over my head and wear the soggy hat until the process needed repeating. Wonderful!  8)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:38:05, 22/04/20 »
Just a cheapo faded floppy bush hat for me.
« Last Edit: 07:01:45, 23/04/20 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:11:07, 22/04/20 »
I have two sun hats, one is a Rohan bush hat type that they don't appear to make any more, this is my general purpose sun hat for gardening, walking to the shops, days out, holidays and summer walks when I'm carrying very little. It has an adjustable chin strap that stops it blowing off into the sea when on ferries, but I tuck this into the back of the hat most of the time.

The other one is a discontinued Craghoppers hat, similar to the above but much smaller. It is reversible, I can have olive or fawn on the outside, and it is extremely light (57g). I carry this solely for backpacking or on most walks.

Both of the hats can be stuffed in a pocket and come out none the worse for it, but the most important thing is that they are both made of synthetic materials, one polyamide, the other polycotton. This means they dry quickly if they get wet, and they have not shrunk to the size of a pimple on the head like cotton ones do.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:49:51, 22/04/20 »
I too have a wide brimmed Tilley and would recommend it. It is a bit pricier than some, but only needs to be bought once. I was a bit limited for choice in hats due to my large brain capacity :D . I have found larger baseball caps, but these get stained with sweat and salt and don’t look to good. They generally don’t survive washing very well, while my Tilley was as good as new.

Rigel

« Reply #8 on: 22:58:51, 22/04/20 »
Get a wide brim cricket hat. And wear it at a jaunty angle. Your savoir-faire, and suave devil-may-care attitude  will make you irresistible to the ladies when out walking! In Summer, a wide brimmed cricket hat is a man's little black dress!

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 07:08:23, 23/04/20 »
"Tilley"
"Tilley"
"Tilley"
"Tilley"
"Tilley"

I took a look online - All I can say is that you lot have deeper pockets than I!  ;)

No way would I pay Tilley prices.

WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 07:16:13, 23/04/20 »
Good enough for an Empire

I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 08:17:51, 23/04/20 »

I do have a Tilley hat, but have to agree very over priced. Nice though.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/owenmerricksphotos/28939042544/in/album-72157673536925606/
« Last Edit: 08:23:22, 23/04/20 by Owen »

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 08:21:20, 23/04/20 »
What's wrong wi' using t'knotted 'ankey?  O0
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 08:23:55, 23/04/20 »
What's wrong wi' using t'knotted 'ankey?  O0
Can double up as a face mask as well.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 08:43:33, 23/04/20 »
"Tilley"
"Tilley"
"Tilley"
"Tilley"
"Tilley"

I took a look online - All I can say is that you lot have deeper pockets than I!  ;)

There are bargains to be had. I got mine in Go.  Bear in mind they are long lasting and all season. It keeps the sun off in good weather and the rain off in bad. The double chinstrap keeps it on even in a stiff breeze. I wear mine year round and it beats being trussed up in a hood.  In extreme weather, I fit my hood over it to provide a better peak to keep the snow off my glasses.
I have bought a succession of hats over the years but I haven’t bought another since.  I have had mine 6 or 7 years and it is beginning to develop “character”.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy