Author Topic: Pubs which allow camping in their grounds or very nearby.  (Read 1903 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
During the last few weeks, I've kept a record of all of the cheap campsites that Forum member have identified which I'm sure will be very useful to me at some point. What I am also interested in are pubs that also allow camping in small tents in their gardens, or at least very nearby.

I found a pub that does this at Peasmarsh on the Sussex Border Path a few miles on from Rye, so expensive (£17) I just turned them down flat, but when I camped in the London Inn on the Two Moors Way recently the landlady didn't charge me a penny! When I camped at Tarrs Steps, the pub was right there, it was just like being on their grounds.

I would appreciate knowing a few more please, especially those who are or near to a National Trail or on other popular routes. For me, being able to camp on a pub lawn, or very nearby, is just the sort of thing I need to get out and about in the winter and to cope easily with the long hours of darkness.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
If you wanted to find out a few more, as well as what you find out on here you could phone up pubs along trails your interested in walking and ask? Then you'd know in advance.

Percy

• Veteran Member
There are quite a few along the Coast to Coast. The one in Ennerdale Bridge whose name escapes me, the Lion Inn at Blakey Ridge, the Bluebell at Ingleby Arncliffe and, I think, the White Swan in Danby Wiske.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Let's start a list, updated in the same way that the mileage challenge is.

If you would like to add a pub, just click 'quote', edit out the bracketed quote comments at the start and end, and add to the list.

WHERE                                                       NAME                              COST
Two Moors Way                                           London Inn                      FREE
Ennerdale Bridge, Lake District
Blakley Ridge                                              Lion Inn
Ingleby Arncliffe, N.Yorkshire                        Bluebell
Danby Wiske                                               White Swan
Sutherland (foot of Ben Klibreck)                  Crask Inn                        FREE
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

fernman

• Veteran Member
You should find a few on https://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/
My experience of pub campsites though, and that of reviewers of ones I haven't used, is the facilities are usually pretty poor. There can also be a lot of noise, car doors slamming etc, when the last customers depart.

A good cheap site I have used and can recommend is Severn House Camping at Montford Bridge near Shrewsbury
https://www.severnhousecampsite.co.uk/Main/Home.html
£6 a night for a small tent, it's quiet, and The Wingfield Arms pub is on the other side of the bridge.

fit old bird

• Veteran Member

Some YHA hostels allow camping in their grounds. I camped at Street near Glastonbury. There were campers at Lands End hostel. Can use all facilities, showers, toilets, kitchen, hostel food. And some of them are licensed so beer available.

ilona

IanyZen

There are quite a few along the Coast to Coast. The one in Ennerdale Bridge whose name escapes me, the Lion Inn at Blakey Ridge, the Bluebell at Ingleby Arncliffe and, I think, the White Swan in Danby Wiske.
I camped at a few of these, plus Tan Hill Inn on Pennine Way (such a great pub, I wandered off the coast to coast path to camp outside again) they charge £2 (I think it goes in the charity tin). They have an outside toilet. This point is important as pubs close and may not give you access to any toilet during the night and they tend not to open up so early.
I'll try and think of others.
Ian
Good luck on your next adventure
Ian & Zen

fernman

• Veteran Member
They have an outside toilet. This point is important as pubs close and may not give you access to any toilet during the night and they tend not to open up so early.

A pub I camped at in Wiltshire (somewhere SW of Devizes, it'll take me a bit of working out to find it again) left the back door unlocked at night so you could get to the toilets, but there was another door, locked, between them and the bar :( .
It felt a bit strange going and having a wash in the pub gents (and no doubt it was the same for the ladies) but there were also showers in a portacabin outside.
« Last Edit: 08:58:11, 10/09/19 by fernman »

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
A good cheap site I have used and can recommend is Severn House Camping at Montford Bridge near Shrewsbury
https://www.severnhousecampsite.co.uk/Main/Home.html
£6 a night for a small tent, it's quiet, and The Wingfield Arms pub is on the other side of the bridge.
Interesting site, it is only a few miles from where I live. It is on a network of lostways, all of which could be significant LDW's, however it does serve the Severn Way. There is a grey path on my 1:25kOS map that leads right into the east of the site, it leads back to Bromley Forge. If the name is not enough to be proof of it's reason to be a right of way  :o what is.

The Wingfield Arms is an ideal pub for the hospitality dependent traveler, it has geared itself up for caravan trade after being a busy pub on the A5, right next to one of Thomas Telford's bridges over the river Severn, little over a decade ago this bridge was a death trap of heavy traffic, now it is quiet enough to stand over the center span and watch the water pass by. It is at the point, where the river first hits the sandstone of S. Cheshire and N.Shropshire and is deflected off it.

I wonder if the OP called in at the Star Inn Dyliffe on his Glyndwr's Way trip. Now there is pub that is remote enough to have rough camping spots very close by, the sort of place that could well be worth while calling up before arrival to see if they have suggestions. I may not have walked the GW, but many of my exploration lines have taken me there.

Are we walkers backward in understanding the power of the mobile phone as an itinerant's means of forward planning? Add to the list phone numbers, places like the Star Inn, whereas the Montford Bridge site will probably never see it's full potential as a cross roads of ways, recognizing the latter might help a small historical Inn survive.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

ron6632

The pub attached to Offa’s Dyke Brewery let me camp in their beer garden.  The Barley Mow in Trefonan it is. 

A few years ago now, although their garden was quite small. 

Snowman

Re: Pubs which allow camping in their grounds or very nearby.
« Reply #10 on: 22:07:38, 13/09/19 »
If you wanted to find out a few more, as well as what you find out on here you could phone up pubs along trails your interested in walking and ask? Then you'd know in advance.

I second that advice.   When I walked the 2 Moors Way, the guide book informed me that a hotel/pub in Simonsbath allowed camping, so I thought if I couldn't get a bed for the night, no matter I'd have a few beers and sleep in the tent.   However on arrival the place was under new management and all rooms were being refurbished.   Plus, the camping area wasn't a legal campsite so we couldn't use it (I still don't know what the law is on this which is why I suggest you check).

Postscript: the new owner was a gent and contacted a local B&B owner who put us up for the night.   You've got to be really unlucky not to find someone who will help you out in need.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy