Author Topic: Single sided OS Maps  (Read 966 times)

MarkT

Single sided OS Maps
« on: 13:49:54, 09/01/21 »
I was given the OS Explorer map for Ben Nevis & Fort William OS392 for Christmas as I was hoping to go there sometime this year (no chance probably now).

I have a few other OS maps, covering The Lake District, Snowdon and the Isle of Wight. All of these maps are double sided so get more mapping for your money but the OS map of Ben Nevis & Fort William is single sided. Does anyone know why this is? Is it because OS want people to buy more maps of other areas of Scotland. Maybe, as there's so much information and detail, OS thought one side is enough? Are all Scottish OS Explorer maps single sided? If so why?

This isn't an issue for me but am curious to know why it is single sided where other OS maps are double sided.

Any thoughts?

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
Re: Single sided OS Maps
« Reply #1 on: 14:43:25, 09/01/21 »
My old (2001) Explorer map OL21 is double-sided. I have 2 new ones, 297 is single-sided, and OL2 double-sided. So it looks like it depends on the area.
« Last Edit: 14:46:43, 09/01/21 by shortwalker »
Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic.

Van Morrison

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:54:02, 09/01/21 »
Surely the simple answer is, it's a map of Ben Nevis, which is a much smaller area than, say, the much larger area of Snowdonia National Park which requires 3 double-sided maps.

But I see that they are all £8.99 in the OS shop, so it does look as if buyers of Ben Nevis are being short changed. I would expect less map to cost less money. They probably have a "one size fits all" policy.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:37:33, 10/01/21 »
I know it seems expensive, but I much prefer single sided maps. Trying to turn one over in your average highland weather is a complete nightmare. For my local area I ended up buying 2 copies, one folded to open on the east side, and the other folded for the west. On holiday one year I resorted to buying one of those bespoke maps, centred on the cottage we rented. A faff, but at least they don't, tear, blow away,or other disasters on the hill, and it is easier to plan a walk where you can lay two maps side by side, rather than turn one over and try to picture the bit you've just hidden. 

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:11:49, 10/01/21 »
On holiday one year I resorted to buying one of those bespoke maps, centred on the cottage we rented.
I've often thought of, though never done anything about, getting a bespoke map centred on somewhere like Easedale Tarn where the 4 Lake District OL maps meet. So often in that area I hop from map to map.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 10:21:03, 10/01/21 »
I've often thought of, though never done anything about, getting a bespoke map centred on somewhere like Easedale Tarn where the 4 Lake District OL maps meet. So often in that area I hop from map to map.

Interesting idea. I had to use two maps on my recent modest walk up Fairfield. I would consider two, one centred on Glaramara, the other on say Hartsop, with Dunmail Raise/Thirlmere the dividing line between the two. Possibly a third to cover Skiddaw and Blencathra.

But at £16.99 a throw the cost puts me off!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:10:06, 10/01/21 »
The only two sided Ordnance Survey map that I have....a 1:25,000 with on one side the Cuillin and with the Torridon Hills on the reverse side.
Dated 1975.
Harvey do a double sided map that I have on one side 1:25.000 with 1:12,500 on the other side.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:29:34, 10/01/21 »
The only two sided Ordnance Survey map that I have....a 1:25,000 with on one side the Cuillin and with the Torridon Hills on the reverse side.
Dated 1975.
With that map you are unlikely to need to turn over when you get to the edge.

davengf

« Reply #8 on: 14:07:02, 10/01/21 »
I bought a bespoke map for Cranborne Chase centred around Woodyates as you need to carry 3 maps if you walk more than a couple of miles in any direction.

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 14:38:02, 10/01/21 »
.......turn over the map when you get to the edge.
Just the Inner Sound and Loch Torridon between.the two. ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy