Author Topic: Jake's rake - head for heights essential?  (Read 7182 times)

Trenchfoot

• Veteran Member
Re: Jake's rake - head for heights essential?
« Reply #15 on: 23:35:12, 18/01/12 »
Here you go Trenchfoot have a this.

It really isnt that bad.

As Mr Wainwright scribes in Central Fells book 3 - if you can 'put your toes in your mouth and bring your knees up to your chin' then you may embark upon the [rake] ascent confidently.

Test passed with flying colours, so I think it would be rude to not at least try.  :)
roll on the weekend

yeti

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 23:45:40, 18/01/12 »

As Mr Wainwright scribes in Central Fells book 3 - if you can 'put your toes in your mouth and bring your knees up to your chin' then you may embark upon the [rake] ascent confidently.

Test passed with flying colours, so I think it would be rude to not at least try.  :)
Its not as exposed as I thought it may have been. The couple of small exposed areas which are only a few steps long. most of the scramble can be achieved in a kind of 'ladder valley'. But different people see height fears and exposure differently.
Good luck O0 . Hope you get on ok with it O0 .
R.I.P. Dave.

swampy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 00:07:58, 19/01/12 »
I did jack's rake last year with some good folk from this forum. I have a quite a bad fear of heights and I was absolutely terrified all the way up. yeti, aj and brandywell really helped me through it. what made me most determined though was the tenner promised by aj when we reached the top. ;D
In it for the socials

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #18 on: 00:09:37, 19/01/12 »
I did jack's rake last year with some good folk from this forum. I have a quite a bad fear of heights and I was absolutely terrified all the way up. yeti, aj and brandywell really helped me through it. what made me most determined though was the tenner promised by aj when we reached the top. ;D

Yorkshire woman bribed by a tenner....who would have thought it possible  ;D 
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

yeti

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 00:13:19, 19/01/12 »

Yorkshire woman bribed by a tenner....who would have thought it possible  ;D
You should see what she does for a fiver then ::) ;D
R.I.P. Dave.

swampy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 00:14:46, 19/01/12 »
You should see what she does for a fiver then ::) ;D
You wish ;D
In it for the socials

yeti

• Veteran Member
R.I.P. Dave.

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #22 on: 00:17:21, 19/01/12 »
Looks like her prices have just gone up  ;D ;D

yeti

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 00:19:37, 19/01/12 »
Shhhh...don't mention inflation rate :o
R.I.P. Dave.

swampy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 00:23:19, 19/01/12 »
if did charge him, I'd be a very rich woman and he'd be very happy, as it stands at the moment I am skint and he's miserable ;D
In it for the socials

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #25 on: 00:25:23, 19/01/12 »
if did charge him, I'd be a very rich woman and he'd be very happy, as it stands at the moment I am skint and he's miserable ;D

lol really funny  ;D ;D

Trenchfoot

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 08:52:10, 19/01/12 »

lol - anything for a bit of extra motivation eh?
roll on the weekend

yorksgal

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 10:15:38, 19/01/12 »
When I did Jakes Rake last year I must admit I really did enjoy it and to be honest never found it to be hard just enjoyable and the view form the top was absolutely beautiful.  O0. I would certainly do it again and again  O0

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 12:02:47, 19/01/12 »
When I did Jakes Rake last year I must admit I really did enjoy it and to be honest never found it to be hard just enjoyable and the view form the top was absolutely beautiful.  O0 . I would certainly do it again and again  O0

Yorksgal, I agree with everything you've written, TR from last year here http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,15306.msg202642.html#msg202642
(in which I've just noticed I also call it Jakes Rake, and I've no excuse I know what it is called).

BUT I, and a guess you, are not scared of heights though I have a healthy respect for the dangers.

If Trenchfoot's feelings about heights, which could be viewed as self preservation, are anything like my completely irrational fear of spiders then I have complete respect for him even contemplating this.
« Last Edit: 13:02:26, 19/01/12 by Ridge »

Trenchfoot

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 14:51:15, 19/01/12 »

Yorksgal, I agree with everything you've written, TR from last year here http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,15306.msg202642.html#msg202642
(in which I've just noticed I also call it Jakes Rake, and I've no excuse I know what it is called).

BUT I, and a guess you, are not scared of heights though I have a healthy respect for the dangers.

If Trenchfoot's feelings about heights, which could be viewed as self preservation, are anything like my completely irrational fear of spiders then I have complete respect for him even contemplating this.

When I was a kid I thought it was normal for everybody to feel the same as me about heights, but no! Still, its no real problem I know - there's far worse things out there that afflict others for sure, but I'm really looking forward to the challenge of this scramble - it will be a personal thing. That's an interesting TR from last year, whets the appetite!. Cheers for the comments Ridge - I wont mention spiders ok? lol.
roll on the weekend

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy