Author Topic: Trip Report - A circuit of Coniston Water  (Read 7246 times)

ramblingrob

Trip Report - A circuit of Coniston Water
« on: 11:59:12, 02/02/12 »
Route                 A circuit of Coniston Water
Date                  1st february 2012
Distance             17.5 miles approx
Total ascent        Minimal (less than 500ft)
Time                  5 hours and 30 mins.
Conditions           Bright, wintery sunshine - but cold!   Underfoot - mainly hard surface - tarmac and lakeshore paths.
Start/Finish         My home at Lowick Bridge.

It's been a fair time since my last major walk in the lakes - The Wythop & Lorton Fells on the 23/11/11 to be exact - and since that time it is fair to say that I've put on a few pounds over Christmas and needed to get started in 2012! I have plans to not only finish the Wainwrights this year (only 43 to go) but also do the final 12 routes in Stuart Marshall's book - Walking the Wainwrights. However, I needed a challenge and some mileage in the legs so decided to do a walk literally on my doorstep and do a circuit of Coniston Water.

I've walked around a few of the lakes in the past - mainly Derwentwater (many times, at approx 8.5 miles), Crummock Water, Grasmere & Rydal Water and Buttermere - normally when conditions up top were grim or I had non walkers with me, but a circuit of Coniston was a bigger challenge.

The first thing to say about the route is that most of it is on tarmac. For those of you who don't know the area the eastern shoreline is "hugged" by a small road which for a large part runs alongside the waters edge, unlike the road on the western side which runs through Torver and leaves the lake completely for several miles. This meant walking the eastern side - up to the Waterhead Hotel - on the road and then picking up the lakeshore footpath right down to Sunny Bank farm before joining the main road (A5084) down to Water Yeat at the southern end of the water. The easiest and most enjoyable part of the circuit was the lakeshore path from the Waterhead Hotel down to Sunny Bank but don't be put off by the road on the eastern side - it is pretty (with great views of the Coniston Fells) and fairly quiet (only saw 6 cars or so over 8.5 miles of walking!)

There are 2 opportunities for rest stops - the tearoom/restaurant at Brantwood (about 6.5 miles distance) and the Bluebird cafe at Coniston (about half distance) are both excellent - but yours truly decided on a picnic at the nothern end of the lake with a few ducks for company!

Route description

From Lowick bridge walk down the road signed "east of lake". Go through Nibthwaite and reach the southern end of Coniston Water, continue past Brantwood to the nothern end of the lake at the Waterhead Hotel. Pick up a footpath leading to Coniston boating centre and the Bluebird Cafe. From here pick up the lakeshore path to Torver and walk as far as you can on this path eventually joining the road at Sunny Bank farm. Continue south along this road (be careful of traffic!) and reach Water Yeat village before turning left and crossing the newly re-opened Bouthrey bridge back to Nibthwaite. Retrace your steps back to Lowick bridge and the start/finish point.

Below are some photos of a lovely winters day around and about Coniston.

View of the Coniston Fells - from the end of my road.

Southern end of Coniston Water.

Closer view of the Coniston Fells from the east of lake road.

View across to Coniston village from Brantwood.

Another view across to the snow capped fells!

A look down the length of Coniston Water from the northern end.

Coniston Hall with it's distinctive chimneys.

View across the water to Brantwood.

View north from Torver jetty - Fairfield and neighbours in the distance.

View south from Torver jetty.

The newly re-opened Bouthrey bridge.

Anywhere is walking distance, if you've got the time

botty

• Veteran Member
Re: Trip Report - A circuit of Coniston Water
« Reply #1 on: 12:07:38, 02/02/12 »
Really good to read this report and see the photos. We stopped in a cottage above Coniston Water about 16 months ago and did wonder whether to walk around the lake, but weren't too sure how long the walk was. Some great views of the fells in your photos O0

pkirk_99

Trip Report - A circuit of Coniston Water
« Reply #2 on: 13:04:38, 02/02/12 »
That is some great photo's of the Lake, next time im in the lakes i will insist on doing this walk.  15 years of visiting the Lake district and still learning of new fab walks to do..

March - Hadrian's Wall
April - 10 Wainwrights
July - 10 Wainwrights
September - Lyke Wake Walk

Cotswold Stroller

« Reply #3 on: 17:20:48, 02/02/12 »
Some good shots there Rob,looks a good walk,thanks for sharing  O0
"To be awake is to be alive."

ramblingrob

« Reply #4 on: 18:10:33, 02/02/12 »
We stopped in a cottage above Coniston Water about 16 months ago and did wonder whether to walk around the lake, but weren't too sure how long the walk was.

If you started the circuit in Coniston itself you could reduce the mileage by about 4 miles. I ended up doing more because my start point was Lowick Bridge. Another good start point would be Water Yeat - free parking (unlike Coniston village) near the village hall! Hope you do it some time Botty!

ramblingrob

« Reply #5 on: 18:13:24, 02/02/12 »
That is some great photo's of the Lake, next time im in the lakes i will insist on doing this walk.  15 years of visiting the Lake district and still learning of new fab walks to do..

See my previous reply to Botty re total mileage and start points for this walk. I can tell you my legs are feeling it today - 24 hours later! A good walk but hard on the feet!

Sharpedgehatter

« Reply #6 on: 10:57:52, 03/02/12 »
Great report and pictures - with the snow on the top the Fells look almost alpine. Thanks for taking the time to share - these reports keep us Southerners close to the Lakes.

Which one is your house - Brantwood or Coniston Hall? ;)

yeti

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:08:32, 03/02/12 »
Haven't walked Conniston since I was a teen. Thankyou for the TR and photo's, they brought back some memories O0 .
R.I.P. Dave.

bigwavedave

« Reply #8 on: 04:19:42, 07/02/12 »
camped at hawkshead on a birthday a few years back went for a full english in the morning and canoed across it in the afternoon,halfway across a spitfire ( i think) or similar ww2 vintage aeroplane flew straight up from the southern end of coniston and tipped his wings at me holding my paddle up,a brilliant day in all,now on my list to walk around it! thanks for posting the pics  O0

Exit5man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 07:29:04, 07/02/12 »
I was in Coniston the first week in january and did part of this walk , would have give anything to have weather like you had.
Fantastic photo's and report, from a  beautiful area.
Everyday when i wake up i thank the Lord im Welsh .

Never walk under a black cat :-)

bear.cub

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 17:53:16, 07/02/12 »
Tranquil O0 O0
I've never known such a bear for getting in a mess. Mr Brown referencing Paddington Bear

gotmeheadshaved

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 17:59:43, 07/02/12 »
Excellent photos and TR. Coniston is a lovely area of the Lakes. I've still yet to do the Old Man though!  O0

Steve
Steve (gotmeheadshaved)

'Brothers, what we do in life, echoes in eternity'

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy