Author Topic: Advice needed for some less challenging walks  (Read 7682 times)

Andy Broadley

• Veteran Member
Advice needed for some less challenging walks
« on: 14:57:07, 03/07/12 »
Ok, here's the situation.

I'm going to be up in Keswick last week of this month for the second week of the Christian Convention. :)

Which means I've got stuff going on mornings and evening but I've got the afternoons free, say from1pm till 6pm.

As most of you know, I'm an inexperienced hill walker and my fitness is still short of what I want and need it to be. Did Helvellyn in March as part of a group and it half killed me. Worked hard since then and have managed to drag my feeble carcass round the Y3P route, so fitter than I was, but not ready for the big league yet ;D

So I'm looking for three or four decent walks of about 4-5 hours duration that I'll be able to handle both physically, navigationally (I'll have the OS map and a compass with me) and safely (given that I'll be walking on my own).

Catbells is on my list already, so if you guys can give me three of four others then I'd be very grateful. O0

Thanks folks  :)

The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step

Country Walking 1000 Mile Challenge 2017  623.5  miles :)

brillo

Re: Advice needed for some less challenging walks
« Reply #1 on: 15:04:15, 03/07/12 »
I was up in Keswick about a fortnight ago Andy and did  High Spy & Catbells  O0

Skiddaw is right behind Keswick town which is one of the highest in the Lakes but it's a fairly easy route. Or there's Blencathra (with Sharp edge) just up the road which you can access via Scales and park up in the layby.  :)

Andy Broadley

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:15:00, 03/07/12 »
I was up in Keswick about a fortnight ago Andy and did  High Spy & Catbells  O0

Skiddaw is right behind Keswick town which is one of the highest in the Lakes but it's a fairly easy route. Or there's Blencathra (with Sharp edge) just up the road which you can access via Scales and park up in the layby.  :)

Skiddaw sounds good if I have the time to get up and down in an afternoon. It's the second biggest I understand which is what rather put me off (still scarred from the Helvellyn experience I guess).

Whats Blencathra like difficulty wise? I've heard people talking about it on here and seems quite a challenging one?

Fellwanderer

« Reply #3 on: 15:28:12, 03/07/12 »
Launch across to Brandlehow and then Catbells along to High Spy, down through Rigghead Quarries and back to Grange - then launch or bus back to Keswick.

Skiddaw from Keswick via Spooney Lane - easily include Latrigg, Skiddaw Little Man and Lonscale Fell. There is absolutely no problem climbing Skiddaw - apart from the crowds!

I would advise against Sharp Edge as it is probably the most difficult ascent route for an inexperienced walker in the Lakes. Blencathra can be easily climbed from any of the south facing ridges - my favourite route being via Hall's Fell. The safest routes up and down Blencathra are via Scales Fell or Blease Fell.

The fells above Whinlatter from the visitors' centre.

Grisedale Pike and Hopegill Head from Braiithwaite

214/214 264/282

Andy Broadley

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:31:38, 03/07/12 »
Launch across to Brandlehow and then Catbells along to High Spy, down through Rigghead Quarries and back to Grange - then launch or bus back to Keswick.

Skiddaw from Keswick via Spooney Lane - easily include Latrigg, Skiddaw Little Man and Lonscale Fell. There is absolutely no problem climbing Skiddaw - apart from the crowds!

I would advise against Sharp Edge as it is probably the most difficult ascent route for an inexperienced walker in the Lakes. Blencathra can be easily climbed from any of the south facing ridges - my favourite route being via Hall's Fell. The safest routes up and down Blencathra are via Scales Fell or Blease Fell.

The fells above Whinlatter from the visitors' centre.

Grisedale Pike and Hopegill Head from Braiithwaite

Ok, next question ;D

Can anyone recommend a good walk guidebook for these walks?

I know true hikers are reputed never to use the things, but I'm not in that exalted company just yet ;D ;D

aljones27

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 15:49:03, 03/07/12 »
Wainwright, Wainwright, Wainwright...

Northern and NorthWestern Fells. Revised editions are pretty up to date and they make great reading when you can't get to the hills.
Wainwrights: 17

Remember to keep smiling...
It really freaks people out as they wonder what you are up to...

http://alastairsmiscellany.blogspot.com

Fellwanderer

« Reply #6 on: 15:53:46, 03/07/12 »

Ok, next question ;D

Can anyone recommend a good walk guidebook for these walks?

I know true hikers are reputed never to use the things, but I'm not in that exalted company just yet ;D ;D

Nobody will ever better Wainwright so I'd go for the revised Volume 6: The North Western Fells as that covers 3 of the walks I suggested and you don't need a guidebook for Skiddaw unless it is covered in snow and visibility is nil - which is unlikely even for this summer!
214/214 264/282

footix2

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 16:12:27, 03/07/12 »
Castle Crag is short and sweet. It's the smallest Wainwright.
82/214

Andy Broadley

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 16:22:22, 03/07/12 »
Castle Crag is short and sweet. It's the smallest Wainwright.

That sounds a good one then. :)

Along with Catbells, and Skiddaw (how long does Skiddaw take to get up and over?)

And one other out of the ones suggested so far.

craghopper

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 16:36:33, 03/07/12 »
I found Castle Crag an interesting walk personally,Blencathra was great but that included sharp edge for me.i think there's a lot more to see along the route of CC IMHO O0
40/214

Micky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 16:44:48, 03/07/12 »
Castle Crag may be the smallest Wainwright but it's one of the most interesting. I did it back in April on a glorious day, the views over towards Skiddaw are amazing and you can easily make a good day out of it, especially if you want to take in Catbells, Maiden moor and High Spy.
Expect the best, prepare for the worst.

Andy Broadley

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 16:46:30, 03/07/12 »
Castle Crag may be the smallest Wainwright but it's one of the most interesting. I did it back in April on a glorious day, the views over towards Skiddaw are amazing and you can easily make a good day out of it, especially if you want to take in Catbells, Maiden moor and High Spy.

Thats part of the problem I'll have though.

I'm only goingto have the afternoons available (about 5 hours)

Can probably play hooky on the wednesday and have all day though.

Micky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 16:58:40, 03/07/12 »

Thats part of the problem I'll have though.

I'm only goingto have the afternoons available (about 5 hours)

Can probably play hooky on the wednesday and have all day though.

That's no problem, if you want to do just Castle Crag you can start from Seatoller and walk the Allerdale Ramble north towards Grange and nip up Castle Crag on the way past. Call in the cafe at Grange have a drink then head back to Seatoller along the lovely Borrowdale valley. It's about 8 miles in total so your 5 hours will be plenty of time.
Expect the best, prepare for the worst.

Andy Broadley

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 17:10:24, 03/07/12 »

That's no problem, if you want to do just Castle Crag you can start from Seatoller and walk the Allerdale Ramble north towards Grange and nip up Castle Crag on the way past. Call in the cafe at Grange have a drink then head back to Seatoller along the lovely Borrowdale valley. It's about 8 miles in total so your 5 hours will be plenty of time.

Excellent :) O0  Thanks Micky

Fellwanderer

« Reply #14 on: 17:55:24, 03/07/12 »

You could also use the Borrowdale Bus from Keswick to Seatoller so that you could make it a linear route back to Keswick - a grand walk.
214/214 264/282

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy