Author Topic: TR The Coledale Round Sunday 5th April 2015  (Read 7687 times)

Rhino

• Veteran Member
TR The Coledale Round Sunday 5th April 2015
« on: 19:13:00, 13/04/15 »
My first North Western Fells and a new area to explore, i almost moved into this area last April after completing the Northern Fells but fate took me to the Eastern and Far Eastern areas instead. I decided something central to start off with and therefore picked the Coledale Round comprising of 8 Wainwrights a right bag full. The route from Braithwaite was Grisedale Pike, Hopegill Head, Crag Hill AKA Eel Crag, Sail, Scar Crags, Causey Pike, Outerside and Barrow. I parked in the school car park in Braithwaite for £3, there was free parking on the road outside the school and up on Whinlatter pass but i like to put something back in to the community now and again and at £3 you cant complain even if your from Yorkshire.
On the drive over from Penrith the cloud was low, the forecast was for good weather in the West so i expected it to clear and suddenly the top of Blencathra appeared and was then gone. Another Half mile down the 66 and the whole of the Western side was in bright sunshine. Unusual for me to get such good weather but i wasnt complaining.
In the school car park i got chatting with a fellow on an organized walk called the gear walk where everyone on it donates some gear for school children, i looked in the car boot for something to donate and all i had were my waterproof bottoms which thankfully were not needed today but would be needed i was sure in the coming weeks and months. I have loads of stuff at home i could have donated but that was no good now. I popped a couple of extra quid in the school letterbox instead.
I said bye to the fellow and we both said see you half way round, he was going up the opposite way round to me.  I set off with Jack up the road looking for the turn off to the path up to Grisedale, i met a couple and chatted while walking up and turned off at the bench. About a ¼ mile later i realized i had taken the mine path so headed back cursing myself for not checking on the GPS. Finally got on the right path and a steady pace up to Grisedale, got my first good view after cresting the first hill

I could see the couple a good half mile in front of me and as much as i pushed i never caught them up but did get in front of them later in the walk. I was enjoying being in a new area and not knowing any of the mountains around me, i hastily read up on the 8 Wainwrights i was doing the night before but hadn’t studied any others. I pushing myself all way to the summit but there was a chap catching me up carrying a mountain bike, i summated about 5 minutes ahead of him and got some pictures off before chatting with him.
View of Barrow with Catbells middle right i think and Wall Crag in the haze far centre

Crag Hill on the left and Grasmoor on the right

Hopegill Head

Good old Skiddaw, Little man, Ullock Pike, Long Side, Carl Side and little old Dodd

The mountain Biker summated and we had a good chat before parting, a very nice chap but then again everyone i met today was and would turn out to be very friendly and chatty.
I moved on to Hopegill Head and got a good view of mountainsto the north and West of me but didn’t know any names, had a quick look on the GPS. Whinlatter and Whiteside and others names i had heard on the forum many times but not seen with my own eyes until now.  Got a nice inversion shot but not as good as some ive seen on the forums of late

Looking over the edge of Hopegill Head, wouldn’t want to fall down there

Looking back at Hobcarton Crag and 2 wild campers on the hillside, Casuey Pike in the background

View looking towards Coldale Hause and Liza Beck, i was closing the gap between me and the 2 walkers just above the Beck

View down the valley and Beck with Jack panting in the sunshine

On a hot day i take 3 litres of water for me and 1 litre for Jack which i keep replenished from streams, becks and bogs along the way as well as him having a drink from them direct.  From Sail there was no water until i descended Barrow so the 1 litre was needed for him.
As i walked up to pick up the path to Crag Hill the 2 walkers turned up to Grasmoor, i stopped for a drink and noticed i had lost the dogs lead, the second one in as many months Mrs R would be giving me some stick for sure. I must have lost it on Hopegill Head, i decided to make a slip lead from boot laces i carry as spares and do it now rather than when i need to put Jack on.  I soon got to the summit of Crag Hill after a gentle ascent to find the trig point in two pieces

Some discussion on the forum confirms it was in a bad state some time ago and was in the same state some weeks prior to my visit. I have reported it to the park and touched both halves before sitting down at the small cairn looking back down the coledale valley, a lovely spot to have some lunch.

Looking back at Grisedale Pike and the cloud inversion in the distance

I think in this shot is great Gable and the Scafells

A cloud inversion came up the right hand side between Sail and Crag Hill

Belter i thought i had set the Iphone on time lapse looking in that direction, it wasnt until later i found out i had it facing the wrong way doh

https://flic.kr/p/s5JSCD

I think i need some lessons from Beefy.

Looking back up at Hill Crag from the ridge to Sail

Looking towards Causey Pike

The zig zag path from sail it looks awful but it was really easy to descend down

I didn’t take any pictures on Scar Crags as i met the fellow from the car park and had a chat, he said your slogging on arnt you, i had been trying to make ground on the 2 walkers lol i had slowed down a bit now though and was enjoying the walk. At this point i met Ninethace but neither of us realized who we were, we had a little chat before moving on. A missed opportunity to try the Pacerpoles.
I summited on Causey pike and sat down with a chap overlooking Braithwaite and Keswick and had a good chin wag, he was charging his iphone and so was i. The time lapse video sucks about 20% of battery power. He pointed out some fells for me of which i only knew Walla Crag and Catbells. We chatted for 10 to 15 minutes before we both moved on and i headed back along the ridge to pick up the path to Outerside. Again i didn’t take any pictures at all and to be honest i haven’t took that many overall on this walk, i spent more time looking at the views than taking pictures of them and old trait i had when i first started walking the fells.
On the way back to pick up the path i met the 2 walkers and had another good chin wag, explaining my mistake and me trying to catch them up until they turned up Grasmoor, they were heading to Causey pike then following my route back, they agreed sometimes the hardest part is finding the start of the walk lol, i think they were being nice for me being a div lol we had a good chat though before moving on.

Descended down a boggy path to reach the path up Outerside and the 7th Wainwright of the day, view looking down to Barrow

Of the few pictures i took my favourite of them all is this one of Jack on Outserside looking towards Barrow with Catbells, Walla Crag, Bleaberry Fell and the Helvellyn massive in the background

I am going to get this put on a canvas
Pushed on to Barrow and took a few shots all around and bagged my 8th Wainwright of the day got another view of the above fells minus Barrow and Jack but gained Great Mell

Finally descended of Barrow and decided to take some parting shots of the day
Grisedale Pike

Braithwaite and Jack with his bootlace lead on looking trendy

A better shot of Skiddaw but my favourite is still from Bakestall

Barrow hidden behind the tree

It was a fantastic day out in splendid weather and a good introduction to my new area which has left me yearning for more but ive got plenty of trips planned over the summer months so i don’t have long to wait until my next visit.
Route Data 11.8 miles, 5427ft of ascent and 7 hours 15 minutes
Grisedale Pike 2596ft, Hopegill Head 2527ft, Crag Hill AKA Eel Crag 2754ft, Sail 2537ft, Scar Crags 2206ft, Causey Pike 2091ft, Outerside 1864ft and Barrow 1493ft
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
Re: TR The Coledale Round Sunday 5th April 2015
« Reply #1 on: 19:39:30, 13/04/15 »
Fantastic photos and TR, this is definitely on my "to do" list very soon, I just hope I get the same weather  O0
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:57:11, 13/04/15 »
Tremendous  O0  I am so pleased you got lovely weather Rhino  :)  Great photos and write up  O0

;D  @ even if you are from Yorkshire and your timelapse  ;D

Your photos from Grisedale Pike and Hopegill Head are particularly stunning  O0
Hate will never win

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:20:31, 13/04/15 »
Fantastic photos and TR, this is definitely on my "to do" list very soon, I just hope I get the same weather  O0

Thank you Bricam  O0 It was an extremely enjoyable walk, you will need to tag on another round though to get it to your mileage  :)

Tremendous  O0  I am so pleased you got lovely weather Rhino  :)  Great photos and write up  O0

;D  @ even if you are from Yorkshire and your timelapse  ;D

Your photos from Grisedale Pike and Hopegill Head are particularly stunning  O0

Thank you very much April  :) Having the nice weather did make a very pleasant change but I also found it very useful in getting my bearings around the other mountains and fells for when the weather is inevitably crap  ;D
Doh on the timelapse  ;D I was chuffed when I saw that cloud come up and the phone was in the right place, what timing for a timelapse I thought to myself  ;D Us Yorkshire folk are not thick right  :P
I am especially glad I got on Hopegill Head in good weather, that could be a bit dodgy in poor visibility if you didn't know about the drop offs. Lovels views down the ridges in 3 directions though  :)

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:52:13, 13/04/15 »
Thank you Bricam  O0 It was an extremely enjoyable walk, you will need to tag on another round though to get it to your mileage  :)

lol, I can always do an evening walk after it. The mileage looks good to me, I'm as happy doing 10 as I am doing 20 as it's about the scenery  O0
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 23:14:35, 13/04/15 »
I am especially glad I got on Hopegill Head in good weather, that could be a bit dodgy in poor visibility if you didn't know about the drop offs. Lovels views down the ridges in 3 directions though  :)

:) What does AW say about the descent to Ladyside Pike? Something like "if you find yourself falling through space you have missed the route"  ;D
Hate will never win

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:27:51, 14/04/15 »
lol, I can always do an evening walk after it. The mileage looks good to me, I'm as happy doing 10 as I am doing 20 as it's about the scenery  O0

An evening walk  ;D nice one mate. I am hoping over the summer months to get some longer days and a couple of rounds in here and there myself now I am travelling longer to the areas and the lighter nights are with us  :)

:) What does AW say about the descent to Ladyside Pike? Something like "if you find yourself falling through space you have missed the route"  ;D

Very true April, I had to look at the book again as I missed it the first time round because I was rushing the night before  :) I do love some of his comments as well as his work and following in his footsteps. I missed so much on my early fells by not paying close enough attention to his books. I love it now to get somewhere and re live his explanation of a scene so I always try and read up before doing them  :)

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:29:43, 14/04/15 »
That looked a fabulous day out Rhino, I'm glad you got a bit of nice weather for a change O0

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 13:12:43, 16/04/15 »
That looked a fabulous day out Rhino, I'm glad you got a bit of nice weather for a change O0

It was a really great introduction to the NW area and i dont think i could have picked a better one or a better day and it was about time i got some decent weather with my run of bad luck on my outings  ;D
Spent the last few days reading up on my next walks in and around and doing this one walk has given me such an insight in to the locations of the other fells i feel i already know the area  :)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 13:31:43, 16/04/15 »
Brilliant photos Rhino, looks like a stunning day.

Jack looks like he has escaped from his Big Issue seller with a bit of string round his neck.

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 14:35:09, 16/04/15 »
Brilliant photos Rhino, looks like a stunning day.

Jack looks like he has escaped from his Big Issue seller with a bit of string round his neck.
Thanks Ridge and yes it was, I normally have the window view day as you know.

Big issue lol I was a bit embarrassed using a boot lace lead lol after losing 2 leads in the past month I've now bought a carabiner to secure it to my pack, Mrs R even approved the purchase lol

domtheone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 10:27:53, 17/04/15 »
Awesome stuff O0 O0

I was round that area a few weeks back but didn't get any views for most of the day.  Now i know what i missed out on ;D

If they don't like you going out, they'll love you coming in!

*Money back guarantee does not cover for **** weather!

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 08:41:10, 18/04/15 »
Great T/R and photos Dave, I did this a couple of years back, and remember it being a bit of a slog up Grisedale Pike but then plain SAILing the rest of the way round. 👍
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 10:48:04, 18/04/15 »
I parked in the school car park in Braithwaite for £3, there was free parking on the road outside the school and up on Whinlatter pass but i like to put something back in to the community now and again and at £3 you cant complain even if your from Yorkshire.

Your just a soft touch Dave, lovely walk that Coldale round.

BazandDeb

« Reply #14 on: 12:16:24, 18/04/15 »
That looks stunning, definitely my next walk I think, many thanks.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy