Author Topic: Grasmere car parks  (Read 8802 times)

genji

• Account Closed
Grasmere car parks
« on: 05:49:20, 19/06/09 »
On the Easedale Road driving west from Grasmere to Lancrigg, I notice there are two car parks. The first on the left (lower down in the attached photo) looks like it might be a hotel or pub car park, the second further up on the right might be residential parking for the houses there. Does anyone know if these are public pay-and-display car parks?
"pain is your bodies way of telling you that it is hurting"

Addacomb

• Account Closed
Re: Grasmere car parks
« Reply #1 on: 07:04:53, 19/06/09 »
Neither show up as car parks on either Memory Map or on OS maps. I don't recall any signs relating to either as I have walked up and down the road. On that basis I would guess they were both private. Anyone else?

garyr

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:39:10, 19/06/09 »
Genji - the bottom car park belongs to a hotel, and the top car park in the photo hasn't been there for about two years, there are houses built on it now .....  :(

Pay+display car parks are the Broadgate one (LDNP - £6 for all day) and the one by the garden centre (SLDC - not sure how much as I'd never used it) Think you can also park car where the coaches park at the other end of the village????

Gary ....

KIDSTYPIKE

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:43:28, 19/06/09 »
Get there early enough and there are a few spaces opposite the church with an honesty box.
Dave

genji

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: 12:49:24, 19/06/09 »
Thanks, guys.

I'm aiming for the Broadgate car park at the moment, but I noticed those other two car parks. I don't mind paying to park, and I don't mind parking some distance from the walk (Helm Crag, in this case), but (I suspect, like a lot of people) I'd rather not have to walk a mile down a tarmac road before starting the walk (I'm not especially interested in the Grasmere post office, or Mrs Patricide's front garden). Obviously I'd rather not have a car park built at the base of every hill, either. It's no big deal, I just wondered if there was somewhere closer to Lancrigg to dump the car.

I'm not sure where the church is, Dave. Is it up Easedale Road?

Addacomb

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: 13:20:58, 19/06/09 »
Why don't you have a look via Streetmap genji. You could have a trawl around looking for suitables.

I always use Broadgate as it's nice and shady. I don't mind the walk-in when I do Helm, as it's only a short jaunt to summit.
« Last Edit: 13:26:26, 19/06/09 by Addacomb »

genji

• Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: 14:08:29, 19/06/09 »
Why don't you have a look via Streetmap genji. You could have a trawl around looking for suitables.

I always use Broadgate as it's nice and shady. I don't mind the walk-in when I do Helm, as it's only a short jaunt to summit.

Cheers, dude. I used streetmap (it's just the OS map, right?) to find the Broadgate car park. I'd settled for that until I saw ye olde built-on car park on fraggle rock - I mean google earth.

Addacomb

• Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: 14:18:30, 19/06/09 »
Cheers, dude. I used streetmap (it's just the OS map, right?) to find the Broadgate car park. I'd settled for that until I saw ye olde built-on car park on fraggle rock - I mean google earth.
Given that gary stated the car park you found on GE was long gone makes you wonder how often the images are updated on GE. Of course it can't be that often - they'd use all their funds on the plane trips. I knew it was a while anyway because my car is still parked out on the marshes and I've been monitoring that for at least a couple of years. :)

cragster

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:45:59, 19/06/09 »
Yeh, you'll need to park on one of the car parks on broadgate. The walk up easedale road isn't that bad and it warms your legs up nicely before the real work starts,and by the end of the day when your legs are tired it's nice to hit a bit of nicely layed tarmac. Get there fairly early to guarantee a parking space, especially at weekends as Grasmere is heaving at this time of year.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

stevieboy378

« Reply #9 on: 21:57:30, 19/06/09 »
The car park on the top left of your photo is a pay and display . . . .

According to a photo on Google earth the building at the bottom right of your pic is Glenthorne Quaker Centre, so I'd presume that the adjacent car park belongs to them . . . .
« Last Edit: 22:04:54, 19/06/09 by stevieboy378 »
"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ! . . .
. . . .except the weasels." - Homer Simpson

Steve Wilcox

genji

• Account Closed
« Reply #10 on: 06:09:10, 20/06/09 »
The car park on the top left of your photo is a pay and display . . . .

According to a photo on Google earth the building at the bottom right of your pic is Glenthorne Quaker Centre, so I'd presume that the adjacent car park belongs to them . . . .
Right, so if I join the Quakers before August then I'm quids in.

The car park at the top left is the one garyr said has been built on. However, I did read on this site that "the most convenient [car park for Helm Crag] is the small "pay and display" on the right hand side along the Easedale Road (grid ref. NY335078)", which is about where that car park on the top left is.

walkingbritain.co.uk may be out of date too, I suppose. I did one of their walks a couple of weeks ago and I'm pretty sure they sold me a bum steer on the waymarkers at one point, and they used a dilapidated house as a landmark in completely the wrong place.

Anyway, cragster's changed my mind a bit.

bigjonny

« Reply #11 on: 15:37:21, 20/06/09 »
I used to live in Grasmere and that car park definitely belongs to the Quakers - if I remember correctly, they won't take too kindly to you parking there either! >:(

If you want to park as close as possible to Helm Crag, genji, why don't you park in the lay-by at the bottom of Dunmail Raise? (just North of the Traveller's Rest) There never used to be a charge, but maybe there is nowadays?

Hope this helps  :)
Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
Bob Dylan

genji

• Account Closed
« Reply #12 on: 17:21:46, 20/06/09 »
I used to live in Grasmere and that car park definitely belongs to the Quakers - if I remember correctly, they won't take too kindly to you parking there either! >:(
Aren't Quakers called 'friends' or something? Doesn't sound very friendly to me.

If you want to park as close as possible to Helm Crag, genji, why don't you park in the lay-by at the bottom of Dunmail Raise? (just North of the Traveller's Rest) There never used to be a charge, but maybe there is nowadays?
Ah, I could do that sir, yeah. Yeah, I could do that, I suppose.

Dunmail Raise looks interesting. I've never seen it. On balance, though, I think I'll just go with cragster's opinion and stick to the book. Maybe get some lunch in Grasmere on the return. Obviously that decision completely invalidates the point of this thread, but that's the story of my life, really.

Hope this helps  :)
Yes. Well, no, but thanks for thinking, really. :)

Addacomb

• Account Closed
« Reply #13 on: 18:41:30, 20/06/09 »
genji - you might like to look at Sean's recent walk

http://www.stridingedge.net/Walks/2009/06.%20June/19.06.09.htm

genji

• Account Closed
« Reply #14 on: 18:50:23, 20/06/09 »
Thanks, Addacomb. The pictures look great. I'll look into it and try to work out his route. Is Sean on this forum?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy