Author Topic: TR April 7th Lake District Kentmere Horseshoe  (Read 8332 times)

amnesiacjimmy

• Veteran Member
TR April 7th Lake District Kentmere Horseshoe
« on: 20:32:58, 08/04/10 »
  • Well the day before me kids were doing me head in and my OH Annie said she also had day off so why didn’t I buzz off to Lakes. At same time I logged on and saw Dixie saying whats anyone doing on 7th / 8th. So I got me pass stamped as they sayand off I went. I was a bit nervous at first cos you never know what people aregonna be like plus would I be able to keep up with him and Dibble (Catherine).But he right encouraged me and in the end I thought what the hell so I got up at 6 after only 5 hours kip and off I sets.
    It was proper foggy despite a brilliant weather forecast – here s a pic of Ingleborough from the car on way up there

• but we met up at Staveley outside Wilf s café (sadly not open till 9 ) and from word go got on great.  Dixie should have another career as a stand-up comic, Honest to God.
    I thought I d take my little point and shoot camera and repay all the kind folk on here who take the trouble to post some amazing pics. Let s see how my tussles with Photobucketcome out :( It s been uploading 68 photos for last 25 mins while I type this out inWord… Me an computers don’t always get on, but don’t quote me on that  ;D
  • Modify note - it lost all my changes so I had to redo it all and it kept joining me words together grrrr but this should all be OK now  O0 O0 O0
  • We decided to leave 2 of the cars at Staveley and go up in the one. For those who have never been up there, there are limited parking places. Indeed when we got to the church all the places were taken. But after careful driving around (after going into someone s front garden) we managed to find somewhere off up a road, and off we set.

We took the traditional clockwise route, here's us going up the Garburn Pass.

and looking back from the Garburn pass.

Looking left we got our first glimpse of some fells – anyone recognise them? I don’t know what Photobucket will do to these but Im guessing the detail wont be as good. We could have done with RPete or Granty  or garyR to be there with their bigger cameras esp later on as the views got amazing. On the way back there was a point where there was a bit of mist and there were 3 layers of fells – the near foreground, the foreground, and the distant one – well you know what I mean. It was like one of those fancymulti-layeredpop-up books ( I used to have one on impotence  :D )

More distant fells

We ve turned right and gone up to Yoke now, Lexi leading the way.

A quick break for refuelling, and Dixie decides to crack open the Marmite cashews. Now I love cashews, and I love Marmite but I baulked at these at first. Till I tried one  :o Epic!!!!  O0 O0 O0 I gotta say that I’m sure Dixie must have some Lancy blood in him cos at the lunchstop he not only pulled out a Morrigog pie, but produced a full bottle of Daddies sauce (in contrast to the puny 5ml tube of sun cream he had packed!!)  Get in!!

Looking back to Windermere from Yoke – ish

I spotted a weird halo round the sun, let’s see if it comes out OK. I didn’t have my polarising filterwith me , cos I don’t have one.

Sid and Lexi in the snow cooling their heels

Lexi’s saying “Come on you slackers!!” in dog.

Doing a Brucie on Yoke or was it Ill Bell?  8) We gotta starta Facebook group on this one  ;D ;D

By now Windermere seems a bit further away.

Onward to Ill Bell or was it Froswick? Bloody high beggars, whatever...  ::)

Kentmere reservoir from Ill bell.

Being superhumans we decided to add an extra spur . If you follow this link  (and it's a most excellent website too while you're at it  O0 O0 )
    http://www.lakedistrictwalks.com/kentme.html

you see that the equivalent length on the flat is 19.7 so with the extra bit on High Street I reckon we did over 20 miles.  At the end of the walk my GPS read 13.43 miles as opposed to the 12.2 from the above site. With 3800 feet of ascent….
    We had decided to go on up to High Street as it was flat and so we thought we’d see lots more and it wasn’t far off anyway.
    By now we had been intermittently joined by Graham who was up for 2 weeks from Pompey. He was walking every day. He was down to do Scafell in a couple of days cos he reckoned that the day you couldn’t do that one you might as well pack up.Catherine asked him his age and he told us he was 71!! Inspiring or what!!! If you’re reading this Graham, hiya!

Someone had done this snowcat 
  • The next 3 pics are for someone special on this site who posts walks most days and uses the monicker of what you see. I wanted to give him a little treat – from one Dave to another ;)

This is looking back to the fells we did on first half, looks like the Big Dipper not a smooth ridge!

Here’s one for blrovers

Mardale – we stopped here and thought about what it must have been like before they flooded it for them thirsty Mancs
  • Another Brucie onHarter Fell I think  ??? Losin track now, they dont have labels on em in real life  :o Cop Sid doing the pose too with his leg!!! How cool is he???

Another look back at the ridge, coming back

You don’t get seats like this at IKEA  8)

Going down now.

The sun was really starting to come out and burn us now. We’d had the conversation earlier about politics and wondering why everyone on the forum is such great company, and we decided that unlike politics and the election and organisations who shall remain nameless but it rhymes with Gamblers Association and has to do with walking, there are no bleedin committees or rules. Whoever wants to go somewhere posts a meet and everyone else just turns up and has the time of their lives!!! What could be better? I mean just look at these views now!

Catherine contemplates Longsleddale valley

Getting right down now. I had a couple of falls here – Dixie has a red card yellow card system,red being flat out on your erse and yellow being a stumble. Earlier on Idodged one as I didn’t fall, I just went up to me ‘arris in snow on a short cut ;D Sadly he was not fast enough on the draw with his camera, and Catherine had (irony approaching) forgotten her memory card for her camera…  ::)

Really getting down now. The last half mile down really kills your legs! And it is a bit boggy hence the yellow cards I picked up.

A final glance over at the switchback. We all said, “Did we really just climb those?”

The long and winding road, Lexi, indomitable, leads the way. Sid where are you mate? Creamcrackered?
    And back to the car

And at the end of theroad …[font=&quot]We shallnot cease from exploration
    And the end of all our exploring
    Will be to arrive where we started
    And know the place for the first time[/font]
  • Cue Lou Reed Perfect Day
  • Hope you enjoyed reading this as much as I did writing it and walking it  O0 O0 O0

• « Last Edit: 21:17:59, 08/04/10 by amnesiacjimmy »
    12 songs enjoy while posting and browsing on 'ere  :)   http://tinyurl.com/3rd9vey -

More stuff on Itunes:   http://tinyurl.com/3phvnla

Dixie

• Veteran Member
    Re: TR April 7th Lake District Kentmere Horseshoe
    « Reply #1 on: 21:00:51, 08/04/10 »
    Dave your pictures are starting to appear how odd. Looks like a kind of mad time delay.
    « Last Edit: 21:08:39, 08/04/10 by Dixie »

amnesiacjimmy

• Veteran Member
    « Reply #2 on: 21:19:51, 08/04/10 »
    Dave your pictures are starting to appear how odd. Looks like a kind of mad time delay.
    Cue pic of Dave hair pulled out smoke comin from computer  :crazy2:

I know, I have re edited it 3 x now, each time summat big goes off and I have to reload the pics.... wonder how it is now? Just off to look... is there a max size or summat???

Anyroad, enjoy!   O0 O0 O0

Dave

edited bit:

Hey look right at the end its got a mangled quote!!!!!!!  Teehee - must be my unique style. Hawkmoon break out the ibuprofen its all kickin off again  ;D ;D
    12 songs enjoy while posting and browsing on 'ere  :)   http://tinyurl.com/3rd9vey -

dibble

• Veteran Member
    « Reply #3 on: 21:37:45, 08/04/10 »
    Thanks Dave, that trip report was totally brilliant!  Loved the humour and lol at my first face at the thought of eating those marmite cashews!   But by heck, they were nice, but I couldn't eat loads, the taste sort of stayed with me all day!   ::)

Thanks for your more photos Dixie.    O0

It was a great day out in fantastic company.

I don't know how this has been achieved, but these meet ups are awesome!
    Thank you walking forum!

and, thanks again for an excellent write up Dave.  Looking forward to more! 

“A star falls from the sky and into your hands. Then it seeps through your veins and swims inside your blood and becomes every part of you." JN.Harris

docpaul

• Veteran Member
    « Reply #4 on: 21:40:13, 08/04/10 »
    Abso-flippin-lutely amazin' Meesta Dave! You is da Man! Not only have your pics appeared but you have just done a successful quote .....

All that and about 37 Wainwrights in one go  :o :D ;D

Too many achievements in one day m8ey  ;D ;D ;D

Great report - "I laughed out loud!" as the book reviewers say, and this time it's true.

Sets a new standard for Trip Reports - we must all do better  O0 O0
    And hells bells I gotta get to a meet-up soon!

Paul
    Courage doesn’t always come in a loud roar.
    Sometimes courage comes as a small voice at the end of the day saying,
    “I’ll try again tomorrow.”

m1xzg

« Reply #5 on: 21:44:31, 08/04/10 »
    That's awesome .. great write up and awesome photos.. :( why on earth am I 200+ miles from the fun .. I need a new job that gets me to that part of the country for sure haha

Thanks for report, sure looks like you guys had a great time.  I'll bet Lexi is just on autopilot on these walks :)
    Robert McKenzie
    http://www.uk-experience.com

I'm a novice still.. please be gentle on me

dellwalker

• Veteran Member
    « Reply #6 on: 21:46:39, 08/04/10 »
    Great report, looks like you all had a great day out.

Exit5man

• Veteran Member
    « Reply #7 on: 22:13:10, 08/04/10 »
    Great report and photo's of a beautiful area .Thanks for sharing . O0
    Everyday when i wake up i thank the Lord im Welsh .

Never walk under a black cat :-)

amnesiacjimmy

• Veteran Member
    « Reply #8 on: 22:14:43, 08/04/10 »
    Abso-flippin-lutely amazin' Meesta Dave! You is da Man! Not only have your pics appeared but you have just done a successful quote .....

All that and about 37 Wainwrights in one go  :o :D ;D

Too many achievements in one day m8ey  ;D ;D ;D

Great report - "I laughed out loud!" as the book reviewers say, and this time it's true.

Sets a new standard for Trip Reports - we must all do better  O0 O0
    And hells bells I gotta get to a meet-up soon!

Paul
    Paul I appreciate your kind words! Have you been self-prescribing morphine again?

:coolsmiley:
    Dave

Can you get to the 30th April meet at Keswick? Sure to have a bit of banter and ton of laughs and some great views if weather kind to us... Catherine who goes under pseudonym Dibble fell to musing what would happen if everyone bar her on that one went missing, scenario is she walks into copshop and says

Ive come to report missing hikers

PC World: What are their names

Dibs: Amnesiacjimmy

PC World: I see. Who else?

Dibs: Guess who

PC World: Ive no idea

Dibs: No, Guess Who

PC World: This is getting tiresome

Dibs:  No that s his name on the forum I dont know his real name yet

PC World: I see. Anyone else? (kicks the station cat surreptitiously under the desk)

Dibs: Lost again

[PC World does the time honoured comic gesture of pushing his hat back on his head and scratching it (the head not the hat, in fact it s a helmet isnt it, but he doesnt scratch his helmet, that s another story) ]

PC World:  I take it thats not his real name, er, what was your name?

Dibs: dibble

PC World: Now you ARE tekkin the rip

Dibs: no that s my forum name

PC World: Well is that it then now?

Dibble:    No there s one F in

PC World:  Whoa whoa whoa young lady

Dibs :   Foreigner

PC World:   One... f...in ...foreigner (pencil snaps on notepad)

Dibs:     and Dellwalker

PC World:     Right is that it?  We ve got a dellwaker, amnesiacjimmy, one f in foreigner, lost again and guess who. You ll be tellin me next there was a doctor with you called Paul or summat.

Dibs:  Oh no, he couldnt make it this time

- or could he???  ;)   Do doctors ever ring in sick????

Dave

« Last Edit: 22:29:25, 08/04/10 by amnesiacjimmy »

Glyders

• Veteran Member
    « Reply #9 on: 22:26:09, 08/04/10 »
    Great report Dave and well done with the pics O0

I'm so impressed with the 20 miles :D but I can see you all had a great time O0

amnesiacjimmy

• Veteran Member
    « Reply #10 on: 22:30:54, 08/04/10 »
    Great report Dave and well done with the pics O0

I'm so impressed with the 20 miles :D but I can see you all had a great time O0
    Cheers Sioban, if I can do it anyone can!!!!!   My legs today are not so impresssed  >:( thank the lord for ibuprofen and your kind words  O0 O0

dibble

• Veteran Member
    « Reply #11 on: 22:41:52, 08/04/10 »
    It's officially a LOL thread!   ;D

Thanks a million times Dave!
    “A star falls from the sky and into your hands. Then it seeps through your veins and swims inside your blood and becomes every part of you." JN.Harris

amnesiacjimmy

• Veteran Member
    « Reply #12 on: 22:44:46, 08/04/10 »
    It's officially a LOL thread!   ;D

Thanks a million times Dave!
    I thank yew  8)

Glyders

• Veteran Member
    « Reply #13 on: 23:18:36, 08/04/10 »
    Don't know how I missed that script.  I think you and Dibbs should do a sketch - that would out do any trip report   

Cheers Sioban, if I can do it anyone can!!!!!   

I think you under estimate yourself. ::)  I'm not sure I'm ready to do 20 miles on the flat.  :D

amnesiacjimmy

• Veteran Member
    « Reply #14 on: 23:20:57, 08/04/10 »
    Don't know how I missed that script.  I think you and Dibbs should do a sketch - that would out do any trip report   

I think you under estimate yourself. ::)  I'm not sure I'm ready to do 20 miles on the flat.  :D
    You missed the script cos I added it later  ;D

Noone can do 20 miles on the flat due to the curvature of the earth so i wouldnt worry on that score  ;)

Dave

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy