Author Topic: Best ways up Scafell Pike and Helvellyn  (Read 7784 times)

Screaming Tree

Re: Best ways up Scafell Pike and Helvellyn
« Reply #15 on: 12:49:31, 25/04/10 »
If you are wild camping, pick your spot wisely, make sure that you are not too far from running water as any ascent / descent at the end of the day can be soul destroying. Also in regard to water ensure that you only collect water above tarns & not below them.

Don't carry too much food, if you're walking past a shop or 2 take advantage & re-supply, same goes for gas canisters etc

fazzle

« Reply #16 on: 18:41:45, 25/04/10 »
^^ Can't 'resupply' unfortunatley  >:( Stupid rules about it.

We are supposed to be using water cleaning tablets etc. but will take this advice, thanks.
Will.

Screaming Tree

« Reply #17 on: 11:04:27, 26/04/10 »
That's a shame, it's common sense really. I would've thought that your DofE instructors would encourage using a bit of common sense rather than making you carry everything.

fazzle

« Reply #18 on: 19:01:49, 26/04/10 »
Nope, just like GPS is completely banned. It's not our centre, it's a D of E rule, no resupply, you cant go into a shop. full stop. Same with GPS, if you're seen with one you fail completely.

Same with mobiles, even if it is off, you fail. It seems so silly, why risk not having a mobile in a potentially life threatening situation? I know it's doubtful but im sure they would be useful!!

Same for GPS again - we aren't allowed to use them. Why? We are supposed to be training up for life, and they encourage us to carry on walking etc. but how many of the people on this forum go out without a GPS ? not too many I would say.

It's just silly having all these rules when it just ain't cricket.

Will.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy