Author Topic: American walking the C2C  (Read 23597 times)

TinTin

Re: American walking the C2C
« Reply #45 on: 09:20:28, 29/01/18 »
+1 to Ninthace and Murphy, took the higher route last year and was really no problem at all at the "exposed" section.

Mick wmexile

« Reply #46 on: 10:58:27, 29/01/18 »
Kathy, been following this thread you started, youve had some great advice etc, all I'm doing is putting a link to my blog I done after last years C2C. Please feel free to have a read if you wish, I know I read all blogs and trip reports before I walked it last year
http://mickwmexilec2c2017.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/day-1-may-12th.html
Enjoy your walk and take home some wonderful memories of our little old England
I never get lost, just don't always know where I am!

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: 12:37:54, 29/01/18 »
+1 to Ninthace and Murphy, took the higher route last year and was really no problem at all at the "exposed" section.

Exposure is highly subjective.I came across two women at the start of this exposed section and they both refused to go any further due to feeling it was too dangerous.I tried to coax them into following me but they were very hesitant and decided to go back and follow the valley route to Reeth.As the famous American climber Royal Robbins pointed out,a lot of climbing accidents are caused by fear and imagination rather than the route itself being dangerous.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: 16:02:29, 29/01/18 »
As a USA hiker you may not want to miss the mountain, High Street, who's history goes back to Roman times. When you hike up and over the top from Patterdale you will eventually pass Angle Tarn on your right. Beautiful spot, ideal for a break, especially if the weather is good, I camped there once overnight, magical! Further on you will soon get to the mountain, High Street, just after where you turn left towards Haweswater. High Street is the site of an old Roman road which then dropped all the way down to Penrith. Worth just walking here, stopping, breathing deeply and soaking up the history and atmosphere of the place. Loads of information on the internet about High Street, really worth a look. I remember a couple of blokes on this Forum site who walked from Penrith followed the 'road', I think to the top of High Street and sent photos back as well. I remember they had problems with snow on the day and had to shelter in a 'Bothie bag' for a while. I've tried to find the thread but have not been successful, maybe someone else on the Forum knows where it is?

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: 18:47:50, 29/01/18 »
Following this thread with interest as I've decided I really must walk the C2C so aiming for June/July 2019 O0
Where there's a will ...

Deolman

« Reply #50 on: 15:47:56, 31/01/18 »
Walked the C2C solo in 2016 aged 68 and twelve months after having angioplasty following my second heart attack so no reason why a reasonably fit 75 should have any problems. All I would suggest is choose your route carefully.  There are sections where you have options to either go high or to stay low so it is not all about steep climbs and cliff edges. From my pre-planning I read that Kidsty Pike could be a challenge and talking to other C2C'ers in 2016 the coming down can be even harder.  I avoided this by booking accommodation in Bampton and taking the route around Ullswater  I thoroughly enjoyed the walk and plan to do it all over again this year. For a bit of extra reassurance have a look at personal trackers which you can use for emergency help even when there is no mobile phone signal.  There is a post started by 'gunwharfman' titled 'Personal Security whilst Hiking' which you may wish to look at.
« Last Edit: 15:52:10, 31/01/18 by Deolman »

KathyDahm

« Reply #51 on: 21:19:01, 31/01/18 »
Kathy, been following this thread you started, youve had some great advice etc, all I'm doing is putting a link to my blog I done after last years C2C. Please feel free to have a read if you wish, I know I read all blogs and trip reports before I walked it last year
http://mickwmexilec2c2017.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/day-1-may-12th.html [nofollow]
Enjoy your walk and take home some wonderful memories of our little old England

Thanks so much! I'm definitely going to read your blog! I already love your "little old England".

KathyDahm

« Reply #52 on: 21:24:00, 31/01/18 »
Exposure is highly subjective.I came across two women at the start of this exposed section and they both refused to go any further due to feeling it was too dangerous.I tried to coax them into following me but they were very hesitant and decided to go back and follow the valley route to Reeth.As the famous American climber Royal Robbins pointed out,a lot of climbing accidents are caused by fear and imagination rather than the route itself being dangerous.

That is so true. I readily admit that my fear of exposed trails doesn't have anything to do with whether or not the trail is really dangerous. It's really a phobia. Being close to edges brings forth an inexplicable fear in me. I get weak-kneed and almost physically ill. Some people feel that way in enclosed places. I wish I could get over it, because it makes me miss out on some extraordinary experiences. I have 7 months to work on it, and then I can decide when I'm there.

KathyDahm

« Reply #53 on: 21:29:58, 31/01/18 »
Walked the C2C solo in 2016 aged 68 and twelve months after having angioplasty following my second heart attack so no reason why a reasonably fit 75 should have any problems. All I would suggest is choose your route carefully.  There are sections where you have options to either go high or to stay low so it is not all about steep climbs and cliff edges. From my pre-planning I read that Kidsty Pike could be a challenge and talking to other C2C'ers in 2016 the coming down can be even harder.  I avoided this by booking accommodation in Bampton and taking the route around Ullswater  I thoroughly enjoyed the walk and plan to do it all over again this year. For a bit of extra reassurance have a look at personal trackers which you can use for emergency help even when there is no mobile phone signal.  There is a post started by 'gunwharfman' titled 'Personal Security whilst Hiking' which you may wish to look at.

I'll take a look at personal trackers. Thanks for the encouragement. I've spent the past two days doing nothing but booking lodging along the way. I have it all done except for two nights, and I'm just waiting to hear from those places. I've booked in Bampton, because it seemed expedient for me, to break up that long hard day from Patterdale to Shap. I'd like to be able to cross Kidsty Pike, but I'm going to watch the weather closely and decide based on that.

KathyDahm

« Reply #54 on: 21:35:57, 31/01/18 »
As a USA hiker you may not want to miss the mountain, High Street, who's history goes back to Roman times. When you hike up and over the top from Patterdale you will eventually pass Angle Tarn on your right. Beautiful spot, ideal for a break, especially if the weather is good, I camped there once overnight, magical! Further on you will soon get to the mountain, High Street, just after where you turn left towards Haweswater. High Street is the site of an old Roman road which then dropped all the way down to Penrith. Worth just walking here, stopping, breathing deeply and soaking up the history and atmosphere of the place. Loads of information on the internet about High Street, really worth a look. I remember a couple of blokes on this Forum site who walked from Penrith followed the 'road', I think to the top of High Street and sent photos back as well. I remember they had problems with snow on the day and had to shelter in a 'Bothie bag' for a while. I've tried to find the thread but have not been successful, maybe someone else on the Forum knows where it is?

That sounds so beautiful! I haven't had time yet to study the maps closely. If I'm going to stay at Bampton (The Crown and Mitre Inn), will I have to take the turn to Haweswater and miss High Street. By the way, High Street sounds more like a street or road than a mountain.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #55 on: 06:50:48, 01/02/18 »
No, you can still go over/along High Street, just that it will add a bit to your day, about a mile and a half, if you want to get to the top itself  O0
Where there's a will ...

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #56 on: 13:30:05, 01/02/18 »
I've spent the past two days doing nothing but booking lodging along the way. I have it all done except for two nights, and I'm just waiting to hear from those places.

Interesting to hear you've been able to book around now, as I was told there is a shortage of accommodation on the C2C and it can get booked up early.  Did you have any problems booking where you wanted or have you had to change plans due to places being full?  Just trying to get an idea of when I should start booking for my C2C next year!
Where there's a will ...

KathyDahm

« Reply #57 on: 18:47:17, 01/02/18 »
I'm not walking till September, so I'm still 7 months out. I wanted to get all the bookings done this early, because I've read too that places book up early. I wasn't able to get into a couple of places. For example, I wanted to stop at Jasmine House at Moor Row, but it was already filled. Because I didn't want a very long walk on my first day and because I couldn't find anything else, I booked at the Parkside Hotel in Cleator. That was the only hotel I had to use and the most expensive night of the walk. I booked at bunkhouses wherever possible and otherwise at the least expensive B&B I could find. I think that if I had waited a couple of months or maybe even less, I might have had to settle for more expensive and less interesting alternatives.

When I walked the Camino de Santiago (the Frances), I made reservations for my first night in St. Jean Pied de Port and for the second night at Orisson, on the way over the Pyrenees, but after that, I just decided each day as I walked (45 days). That allowed for decisions based on how I was feeling, blisters, or whom I had met. It allowed for spontaneity. This C2C walk will be much different, without allowing for things to just unfold. I have to have a bed for the night decided in advance. I don't think that will detract too much from the experience, but it will make it a different experience. If I were a camper, it would be much easier to be more spontaneous with decisions. At least I've made my own choices and haven't relied on a service to book for me. I expect it to be one of the most amazing experiences of my life.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #58 on: 20:25:56, 01/02/18 »
Thanks.  I'm aiming to walk it in June/July next year, so will try to book towards end of this year.  If you have time will be interesting to hear how you get on  O0
Where there's a will ...

Deolman

« Reply #59 on: 21:56:12, 01/02/18 »
To avoid a very long days walking I made sure I had accommodation booked at the Lion Inn first then worked the rest of my accommodation from there. I generally get my accommodation booked a good 9 months in advance.  Saying that I only just managed to get accommodation at Grosmont.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy