Author Topic: Public road on ordnance survey map  (Read 7963 times)

Mark101

Re: Public road on ordnance survey map
« Reply #30 on: 10:00:04, 03/12/19 »
This link might be of use to you:  https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/mapzone/assets/doc/Explorer-25k-Legend-en.pdf [nofollow]

Great thread for a newbie like me. many thanks. I've printed/laminated the pdf legend
Walking for relaxation

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 14:10:48, 07/12/19 »
Just a point I take it you are talking about 'Walking' down this track in question. You mention there are no 'no entry' signs, so you will give it a go. No entry signs are for vehicles, or do you mean no signs preventing access, like 'Private Road, or Private, keep out?

Andies

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 11:32:37, 09/12/19 »
This is all something of a grey area, and one which came to mind on a recent walk where I knew through local knowledge of some tracks that are used but are not shown as "rights of way" on the definitive map, but I assume have possibly some greater public access rights. These compare to uncoloured tarmacked roads and pavements in housing estates, where there could really be no question about public access; but there after it is less clear where there are unmade tracks that say access properties, but still provide an onward route from two separate public roads. How does the user determine the actual status of such a track?

Perhaps just walk it and await a challenge should one arise? Or is there a sensible and easy way of determining what the status of these tracks are to avoid potential conflict, much as one can check the definitive map for rights of way (byways, bridleways & footpaths). Is this a matter for the counties highways authority to advise on; but would they really want me asking about numerous routes?

Some might say I am worrying about nothing, but I wonder about the looming 2026 deadline for ensuring all rights of way are on the definitive map. I have on occasions looked into issues surrounding lost rights of way of old, but I now wonder if there is another area of threat relating to potential rights of way that may fall between what we know are public roads and what we traditionally consider rights of way (byways, bridleways and footpaths), in the form of these "tracks or unmade roads", that may or may not have public rights thereon?

There can be little doubt that the definitive map has been corrupted from it's inception, and if something isn't done to address this the corruption will be completed in 2026. Perhaps not exactly the result that many of the landed classes wanted, but they're probably settle for that as they know it could have been so much worse (in their opinion) had the process been completed correctly. Limited resources to investigate issues, almost certainly by design, and when it's too late they will tell us: " you had your chance to raise matters, but it's too late now, so get off my land".

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 12:03:51, 09/12/19 »
There can be little doubt that the definitive map has been corrupted from it's inception, and if something isn't done to address this the corruption will be completed in 2026. Perhaps not exactly the result that many of the landed classes wanted, but they're probably settle for that as they know it could have been so much worse (in their opinion) had the process been completed correctly. Limited resources to investigate issues, almost certainly by design, and when it's too late they will tell us: " you had your chance to raise matters, but it's too late now, so get off my land".
Well done Andies, you have stated this fear very aptly and there too few aware of the dangers involved.
The trouble is it is not we, who walk for leisure, might be the only losers. Because sufficient intelligent study has not gone into these issues, the Rural Economy will also be a sure loser and it is the Pressure group(CLA) that should have this as one of it's stated aims, who are too ignorant, so that they are desperate to get 2026 done and dusted.

BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy