Author Topic: Planning to Head Out in Poor Weather.  (Read 7236 times)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Re: Planning to Head Out in Poor Weather.
« Reply #15 on: 17:00:58, 28/02/18 »
Well we got our first dusting from the beast in Plymouth this morning.  We built a snowman out side the office window at lunch time.  Still not a spot of snow in the west side of the moor where I am planning to walk tomorrow.  The weather forecast still says that it is most certainly coming though. 

My new route will take me up from the Dartmoor Inn. Following the Doetor Brook, then up to Great Links Tor.  If I'm feeling comfortable, then I will head across to Kitty Tor and return Following the Lyd.  But that's not particularly easy to navigate in VP Visibility.  So I may well simply head down towards Great Nodan and then follow the Lyd back to the bridge from there.

Now were's all that snow?
« Last Edit: 17:17:34, 28/02/18 by BuzyG »

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 17:49:40, 28/02/18 »
Forecast wind chill -20, visibility very poor, wind 47mph gusting over 65, 90% chance of snow. You are a braver man than me. Good luck, let us no how you get on (if you can get there).
Please take a storm shelter and the means of sitting it out if necessary.
Solvitur Ambulando

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 18:06:26, 28/02/18 »
There is that old saying, that there is no such thing as adverse weather, just wrong choice of suitable clothing.
The last time i was out in conditions as severe as the current extreme weather, was way back in the early 1980s, when i was caught out in a blizzard on the ridge from the Gap towards Cribyn in the main Brecon Beacons.

I am not quite sure if the windchill was as nuts as it is this afternoon, because ive just returned from Deganwy on the coast, having collected a late delivery parcel from Queensferry for my friend whose thought it unwise to venture out in such conditions.

The last time it was anything like this on the sunny Welsh riviera, was back in the winter of 2010, and even then i doubt it was as cold as it is at the moment, bitter is not the word for it, this may be exceptional conditions that few of us have experienced.

Anyone attempting a walk in remote countryside in these type of conditions, should go fully prepared for the worst possible conditions.

Its strange, no news of casualties on Snowdon or Tryfan,  it must be so cold that not even the die hard walker is risking the elements.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 18:36:20, 28/02/18 »
I'm packing plenty of kit. Hopefully far more than I will need for a 5 mile walk.  I'm doing this for the experience. As a type of personnel training exercise.  I've walked across the hart of the moor a number of times in mid winter, with severer wind chill -16 in the past.  I've walked across it in driving rain.  I've walked across it in the middle of the night in thick fog.  Tomorrow though, is the worst forecast I have set off into, so I am expecting and preparing for a hard day. 

When I write this up tomorrow evening, I will be more than happy, if we can all have a good laugh, when I have to report I didn't make it out of the car park.

Feel free to worry at my sanity.  But be sure I'm not daft or reckless.  O0

Gadabout Bounder

« Reply #19 on: 19:44:50, 28/02/18 »
There's a Google app called life 360

See link below -

https://www.life360.com/

You set it up on your phone and your families, basically a tracking device, tells them where you are through the app, maps your route.

I went up to the Lakes in January and downloaded it to mine and my wife's phone, reassurance if anything.

I can't say I've used it properly and cannot say how accurate it is but 10 million people have downloaded it so it must have something.

I also use Google Fit which records my walking activity and if Life 360 is as good as the Fit app it will work.

I don't like the idea of 'Big brother' Google keeping an eye on me but I'll make an exception if it allows my loved ones to be reassured if I don't make contact in good time.

Might be useful for some, not necessarily pointing at BuzyG.

Gad
'We've spilt the same blood in the same mud'

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 20:10:33, 28/02/18 »
I'm packing plenty of kit. Hopefully far more than I will need for a 5 mile walk.  I'm doing this for the experience. As a type of personnel training exercise.  I've walked across the hart of the moor a number of times in mid winter, with severer wind chill -16 in the past.  I've walked across it in driving rain.  I've walked across it in the middle of the night in thick fog.  Tomorrow though, is the worst forecast I have set off into, so I am expecting and preparing for a hard day. 

When I write this up tomorrow evening, I will be more than happy, if we can all have a good laugh, when I have to report I didn't make it out of the car park.

Feel free to worry at my sanity.  But be sure I'm not daft or reckless.  O0

Wish I was closer as I'd join you! 
Where there's a will ...

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 22:51:49, 28/02/18 »
Enjoy - if that's the right word.   O0

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 23:06:19, 28/02/18 »
I'm envious.  Enjoy.   O0

Maggot

« Reply #23 on: 09:17:10, 01/03/18 »
I hope he is having a good time.

He has me convinced too, I am going to have a walk up the Gorge later.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 12:32:11, 01/03/18 »
After seeing the red warning for the south west and Wales, I'm no longer envious  ;D

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 12:52:46, 01/03/18 »
After seeing the red warning for the south west and Wales, I'm no longer envious  ;D
Looking at the webcam - there is still not a lot of snow on Dartmoor at present - still cold though,
Solvitur Ambulando

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 12:54:12, 01/03/18 »
Ive just come off the phone to friends living in Llanbradach, just a few miles north of Caerphilly, in the Rhymney Valley in South Wales.
Up until yesterday morning, the area had escaped the snow, but the area has received considerable snowfall last night and this morning, enough to make taking the car out an impossibility.

Unless the roads are clear, its a bit unwise to venture out to the wilder areas, especially the Beacons, or any area in the Southern areas of Wales and the SW.

When can anyone remember a RED weather warning being issued last, the poor souls in the NE of Scotland have seen the brunt of The Beast from the East, and it looks like his relative is having a shuffty at the South west.

Its always tempting to enjoy the severe weather, but with the forecast for more fresh snowfall, venture out only if its absolutely necessary.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 13:22:49, 01/03/18 »
Looking at the webcam - there is still not a lot of snow on Dartmoor at present - still cold though,

I hope BuzyG isn't feeling too cheated out of the full on winter experience he was hoping for then.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 13:35:07, 01/03/18 »
....When can anyone remember a RED weather warning being issued last....

According to the weather lady just now on the beeb it was 2013.

Gadabout Bounder

« Reply #29 on: 13:40:02, 01/03/18 »
Sorry if this sounds antagonistic, it isn't meant to be but I am interested in peoples views.

Using the OP's desire to go out overnight this weekend - severe weather warnings in place and plenty of notice of how bad it is going to be - Is the attitude of "I'm capable, feel confident in my own abilities and have the right kit for the job'

1- acceptable because it goes with testing yourself against the worse weather that can be thrown at you.
2 - Reckless & irresponsible
3 - perfectly fine, it's part & parcel of the hobby & goes with the territory
4 - Another answer

People have been warned not to drive but they are still driving, people have been told to stay indoors but they are still going out (i've done 8 miles myself this morning),

Reports of being stuck on major arterial routes for 15 hours when you were told not to drive, who's to blame?
Only drive if absolutely necessary - how do you say what is absolutely necessary, work? a trip camping?, seeing an elderly relative?

I go on holiday tomorrow, planned and paid for 12 months ago, is it absolutely necessary that I drive to Manchester airport to get my flight, if I have an accident is that my fault for driving anyway, what constitutes absolutely necessary?

I called the weather 'a flurry with no worry' but it has arrived and could be pretty horrendous over the weekend.

Is it ok to make decisions with the best intention but when it goes wrong rely on the rescue services to bail us out, because we have a safety net are the wrong decisions easier to make?
'We've spilt the same blood in the same mud'

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy