Author Topic: Camera carrying rucksack  (Read 951 times)

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Camera carrying rucksack
« on: 13:24:10, 28/11/18 »
Afternoon all

I am seeking recommendations for a rucksack with camera specific carrying capability - I am looking at the LowePro Flipside Trek series and wondered if anyone used them and, if so, what are their opinions.  The bag looks ok to me, and has separate camera compartment, but I am concerned as to comfort of the back/harness system, and also which size would be best - I tend to do day walks in the hills in all weathers, so carry quite a bit of kit particularly in winter (crampons and axe etc).  I am initially looking at the 450 size.  I have asked my local camera shop to get one in to try on, but hoping for a bit of advice from anyone here too.

Any other recommendations for bags would also be welcome.

Paul

Owen

• Veteran Member
Re: Camera carrying rucksack
« Reply #1 on: 14:16:29, 28/11/18 »
I've tried camera specific rucksacks in the past but they tend to be divided up for your camera kit and nowhere for the rest of your stuff. At the moment when I take the big camera out I use a couple of Tenba BYOB bags, these are made as inserts which you can put into any bag. I just put whichever one I'm using into the top of my normal rucksack. 

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:53:01, 28/11/18 »
Thanks Owen - I'll have a look at those - I suppose I am hoping there is a magic answer, a bag with camera space and kit space (though experience should tell me that there is rarley a magic answer).

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:25:32, 28/11/18 »
There might be an idea or two amongst the posts here https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=77647

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:23:48, 28/11/18 »
Thanks Kinky (you don't mind me calling you kinky do you?) Some good links in there - now I don't know  what to do 😁.  Very new to the world of interchangeable lenses so I am thinking of bunging the new toy in the Stratos and then seeing what happens.

taxino8

« Reply #5 on: 17:57:42, 29/11/18 »
I’ve got a few Lowepro ones but to be honest I’ve found it best to wrap the camera or lens in a fleece or something similar that you will carrying anyway and put it in a dry bag in a normal rucksack.
I also have the Cotton Carrier system that I can use if I want the camera to hand.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:02:56, 29/11/18 »
I’ve found it best to wrap the camera or lens in a fleece or something similar that you will carrying anyway

That's OK until you take the garment out forgetting there's something rolled up in it, as I once learned to my cost.

taxino8

« Reply #7 on: 18:05:09, 29/11/18 »
That's OK until you take the garment out forgetting there's something rolled up in it, as I once learned to my cost.
Thats not going to happen with me with the cost of DSLR’s and Prime Lenses.
I had to sell the wife to buy them!

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:13:32, 29/11/18 »
I was really looking for the magic answer of a bag which gives quick and easy access to the camera - I've ordered a Tenba BYOB bag as recommended by Owen - I'll give it a go in my normal rucksack this weekend (weather permitting!) and have a look at the Lowepro Flipside Trek next week.

Thanks for all the advice - much appreciated.

Paul

taxino8

« Reply #9 on: 18:54:20, 29/11/18 »
I was really looking for the magic answer of a bag which gives quick and easy access to the camera - I've ordered a Tenba BYOB bag as recommended by Owen - I'll give it a go in my normal rucksack this weekend (weather permitting!) and have a look at the Lowepro Flipside Trek next week.

Thanks for all the advice - much appreciated.

Paul
I hope you get something suitable, good luck.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 13:09:41, 30/11/18 »
Thanks taxino8 - though looking at the forecast  for the Lakes and Snowdonia for tomorrow I suspect the camera will stay in the bag!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 13:50:43, 30/11/18 »
My daughter in law has to carry one as part of her graphic design work, full of cameras and god knows what! The brand is Manfrotto, she also recommends the brand LowePro.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 14:28:21, 30/11/18 »
Thanks Gunwharfman, much appreciated - I've seen a couple of the Manfrotto ones but they were a bit "chunky" for me and didn't seem to sit well on my back. I am still a a walker who wants to take a camera out, rather than a photographer who takes loads of kit.

I am going to try on a Lowepro one next week - I will report back in case anyone else is interested.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 14:40:14, 30/11/18 »
These YouTube video reviews of the LowePro Flipside Trek might be worth a watch. I'm sure there will be others if you do a search.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSRxpU112R4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAjtbwxDbX0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy