Author Topic: TR - 4 Ways Walk  (Read 1227 times)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
TR - 4 Ways Walk
« on: 08:39:31, 17/06/20 »
This walk was made up of sections of the Hertfordshire Way, Chiltern Way, Icknield Way and the Ridgeway. I wonder if there are too many official ways, perhaps that it a topic for a new thread.

I wanted to push myself a bit today as it is quite a while since I walked over 20 miles in a day and, if all the Covid madness calms down, I am hoping to walk the Pennine way later in the year. Also prompted by a comment in one of April's TRs I decided to take a a full rucksack. I must have looked very strange walking along with a stuffed 35l sack, never far from civilisation, on a day with no chance of inclement weather.

I left the village of Great Gaddesden heading NE. A large clearing in Hoo Woods was absolutely full of foxgloves, I have never seen so many. The photos just don't do them justice.

Walking through one small field this little guy and about 100 of his friends were engaged in some sort of bacchanalian butterfly orgy.

After the village of Jockey End I came to the grounds of Beechwood Park School where a very polite sign asked me to stick to the ROW with no indication on the ground where that actually was.

Towards Studham I met an older lady walker who pointed out these orchids to me.

On the outskirts of the village there is an cottage by a field where 2 young boys were catching grasshoppers in a jam jar in the early morning sun. It could not have been more Enid Blyton.
Next I skirted the edge of Whipsnade Zoo, briefly I stood almost nose to nose through the fence with an antelope before he saw me and was gone.
Looking over to Ivinghoe Beacon as I descended in to Dagnall. I wasn't planning, at this stage, to go up the beacon.

A short section of road walking allowed me to call in to a shop for more liquid, it was getting to be a very warm morning and I had a long pull up on to the other side of the valley.

The lovely outline of Gallows Hill and Beacon Hill, who can resist. I was going to walk within a mile of them anyway and, though it is always busy and I've been there twice recently, I amended my route to include them.

This whole walk was constructed round walking the stretch of the Ridgeway which I had seen heading south when I was on the beacon recently.

This picture is looking back at Incombe Hole, as I was walking round the top edge the darkest deer I've ever seen sprinted straight up the side of the bowl and leapt the path about 15 feet in front of me.

Looking back again towards the beacon, left, with Income Hole to the right.

Continuing on the Ridgeway I came to a gate which a couple were failing to open. It was one with a latch on one side and then a sprung bolt with a tall handle. Like this pic but we were on the other side.
http://www.fencingsupplies.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/easy-latch1.jpg
I decided that if he couldn't work out how to open the latch bit I couldn't explain it from 2m away so told him to push the handle to the right and then, when that also failed, 'no, really push it'. He explained that they were from 'the city'.

On the Hertfordshire Way almost to Tring Station, which is way outside the town, and then up through Ashridge Woods

Across a golf course where the footpath sign pointed you straight across the driving range. Not wanting to be pelted with golf balls I made my way round the edge. The final section of the walk was through fields of these plants, whatever they are.

As the afternoon had progressed the clouds had rolled in and I thought I may get wet but made it back to the car before a few drops of rain.
A lovely and, at just under 22 miles, long day out.
« Last Edit: 09:05:00, 17/06/20 by Ridge »

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - 4 Ways Walk
« Reply #1 on: 08:57:58, 17/06/20 »

...The final section of the walk was through fields of these plants, whatever they are.

They're beans of some sort and one of the most unpleasant crops to walk through when they go black, hard and scratchy later in the year!
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:57:03, 17/06/20 »
That is a long day out but looks lovely all the same O0

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:41:24, 17/06/20 »
Lovely walk and pics Ridge  O0 That is a long walk  :)

Lol at the couple who couldn't open the gate. Andy Wardle mentioned the different types of gate latches and fixings in his latest video. He said it feels like a little quiz and "they put different latches on gates because it is tradition in the countryside to try and trick people"  ;D

I was wondering about your Pennine Way trip, would you have started around about now without Covid getting in the way?
Hate will never win

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:20:05, 17/06/20 »
A grand long walk and pics on a beautiful sunny day  O0
Despite the proliferation of trails and ways, fragments of them are useful for self designed routes.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:28:50, 17/06/20 »
That is a long day out but looks lovely all the same O0
It was  both lovely and long. My legs ached that evening when I stopped but I was fine the next day so all was well.

I was wondering about your Pennine Way trip, would you have started around about now without Covid getting in the way?
We should have been setting off from Edale next Saturday.

Shhhhh, having cancelled 4 years ago, and then cancelled this year
                                                                       I daren't even whisper this but .......
                                                                                        ........ we are thinking about trying for the 28th August.

A grand long walk and pics on a beautiful sunny day  O0
Thanks VG apart from the golf course (I HATE golf courses) it was really lovely.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:17:54, 17/06/20 »
Looks a real headboiler weather day. Think I would have been on the aspirin  :o
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:23:51, 17/06/20 »
                                                                       I daren't even whisper this but .......
                                                                                        ........ we are thinking about trying for the 28th August.

Third time lucky I hope  :)
Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 15:45:57, 18/06/20 »
Some lovely photos there, Ridge - especially the masses of foxgloves, the chalk hillsides and the woods. Like the red poppies and the orchids too - I saw similar orchids beside Hummers Lane in the Lakes last weekend.

Foxgloves like newly felled forest, that certainly seemed to be the case in Snowdonia.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 15:58:11, 18/06/20 »
Looks a real headboiler weather day. Think I would have been on the aspirin  :o
I definitely needed my cap on.

Third time lucky I hope  :)
Fingers crossed.

Foxgloves like newly felled forest, that certainly seemed to be the case in Snowdonia.
I may have to plan a walk that goes past them again in the near future, they were amazing.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 22:24:17, 18/06/20 »
That looks like a smashing walk.  Long, but smashing.  The intricate pattern in the "bells" of the foxgloves almost looks hand painted.

That climb out of Incombe Hole looks, er, energetic  :o

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 22:37:23, 18/06/20 »

Thanks Mel
That climb out of Incombe Hole looks, er, energetic  :o
You can go down and up Incombe Hole but I took the path round the top edge.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 22:43:22, 18/06/20 »
Hmmph, and there was me being suitably impressed that you climbed that in the heat  ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy