Author Topic: C2C 07 July - 08 July 2018 - Part 4  (Read 829 times)

johnberman

C2C 07 July - 08 July 2018 - Part 4
« on: 22:14:21, 19/07/18 »
07 July - Day 13 Blakey Ridge  to Grosmount 13 Miles

We planned to stay in a farmers field (cant remember the name) we moved read below and you will understand why

BLOG ENTRY - Reptile farm

We woke up after the lion inn had a fab breakfast but it just didn’t sit right for me. We were excited about a proper breakfast but you just don’t want grease First thing in the morning. We cracked on though after the brekkie it was a horrendously long road and very boring.

As we were going along there had been talks of adders around on the moors and due to my snake fear I had managed to put it to the back of my mind! We were walking along and then suddenly Lucia shouted snake. I saw the [censored] unfortunately. John and Lucia were made up I was in tears having a panic attack! I then made sure Lucia walked very closely in front of me and John very closely behind! It was quite a big boy since doing some research!!

We stopped off for our standard full Fat coke break and there was a wedding going on in the village! We were sat outside the pub and suddenly there was a tractor coming down the road with a bride and groom on the back sipping champagne!

We cracked on as we wanted to get to grosmont before the England match started. It was hilarious as we were walking about 3 miles before our destination we could hear music, we felt like they knew we were coming. Then we turned a corner and it was a village fete. Bless they were going for it and it was such a nice town- it actually had a railway!! We crossed the railway bridge went slightly wrong but by a mere 3 minutes then turned back and it was a very long mile. It was so funny as we felt like we were walking in the wrong direction. It was a dirt 4×4 track and we had saw more people coming up this track than we had seen in this past two weeks. They were fully England flagged up and it was great despite the killing feet and backs!

We got to the campsite which was a farm with a field. No showers but 4 quid each so couldn’t go wrong. We ditched the backs as it was 2:30 and wanted to get a good seat for the footie. We hadn’t had lunch at this point but thought the pub would be serving. Got there and jt was a beautiful little place. The pub was directly next to the railway station that had steam trains coming through every 20 mins and had proper old signals its was great. It also had the oldest co operative in the whole of England!

We headed to the pub and got there and it was soooo busy. It was about the same size as Albion but split in half. We managed to get a seat pretty much under the telly. Lu and John sat down and I got onto the mission of getting a drink. Basically they could see a southerner coming! It was like I was invisible. It was also one of those moments when you think oh Christ how is this all going to end. Everyone was pent up and ready for England and it seemed like it may end up a bit messy and not in a nice country English way!

The worst bit was they had bad beer so I was on the cider, j Guinness and lu g and t. I pointed at the barman and demanded the order and got served… finally!!! First half was quite tense and I drank the cider in one go pretty much. Went onto the second pint and suddenly remembered we hadn’t had any lunch!

I went for a wee just before half time and there was a girl in the loo being sick. I went in after and it stank of coppaberg. Got back to the bar and there was a girl from Middlesbrough that was very ready and raring to go! I told her about the sick girl in the loo and she confirmed it was her friend. England then scored and the pub erupted everyone was singing and shouting and it was a great atmosphere. At half time chip buttys seemed to appear so I went to the bar and asked about it and the barman said it was for locals only. At least we smashed it- a great game yes boys! There was so much singing of ‘its coming home’ inspired by Lucia for the following few hours. I got a bit carried away with the whole thing and after the game finished we suddenly remembered we hadn’t had lunch. I went straight to the bar to order food and was saddened by the response that the evening menu wouldn’t be available until they had sorted out the mess. We then decided we would head to the local co op to see what they had where we bought a sausage roll, a cheese and onion pastry and a Cornish ‘style’ pasty. They weren’t allowed to call it a Cornish pasty as it wasn’t made in Cornwall! We ate all this and went back to the pub. Where the barman was prepare for our order. We ate and then rolled ourselves back to the campsite where there were about 20, 20 year olds replicating a skins party with tinnies, fags, nos balloons, barbecued, and happy hardcore blaring out if the cars. We were not impressed considering our bedtime was now 9:30. I said to John and lu let’s sit by the river for five minutes to see what happens. On the way there we all decided that we should leave- we wouldn’t get enough sleep. We then had to pack down the tents and re pack our bags but it was with it for the fact we would actually sleep! We set off again and went via the pub to fill up our water bottles. The barman really wanted us to have a shot To get up the hill! We didn’t realise quite how big the hill was. It went on for about 2 miles but me oh my the views! The sun was just setting it was stunning!

We decided we would wild camp at the top of the moors. We got to an abandoned car park and decided it was time to pitch up. Spent a few nervous hours hearing sounds of various animals and paranoid snakes would get under the tents!

08 July - Day 14 Grosmount to Robin Hoods Bay 13 Miles

Stayed at the Grosvenor Hotel - Real beds and they they washed soem clothes for us - brillian service

BLOG ENTRY - £3.70 for a pint of a water

This was it. It was the last day! As we had walked a couple of miles the following evening we only had a mere 13 miles to walk. Packed down the tents and had a very unsatisfactory porridge pot. It contained about 200 calories which really didn’t scratch the surface but it was all we had so we went on our way. It was a boring first mile on the road over the moors. We were all pretty knackered so it we headed down and got on with it. After the first 2/3 miles there was a village called little beck where we then had to walk into the conservation wood which was 65 acres. The book said it was a must to stop off at a tea room in the wood called folly foss so figured we could all have a coffee and cake to wake us up a bit. We got a bit lost as the map wasn’t very clear on how long we would be walking into the forest. It pointed out that there was a cave and we got a bit confused as there seemed to be two caves but asked a guy who had an OS map of the Yorkshire moors via an app for £1.50 which he was very proud to show off. We continued on, it was gorgeous as it was shady and the air felt fresh not too muggy. We then found the tea room and wooow it was amazing! It was right next to a 20m waterfall which was pretty impressive and they had lovely little benches all outside the quaint cottage. It all seemed a bit too good to be true and guess what it was- thy didn’t have a card machine and we had £6.30! We had two coffees and a fairy cake as that was all we could afford. Such a shame as the bacon butties and other cakes looked incredible. We used their loos which were also great as they were little barns but had window views of the river. Nice place for a five minute sit down!

We were then on our way again. We had about another 6 miles to the next village where there was a pub we could have lunch. This part was really long. It was over the moors again which was just dry and flat. It has also started to get humid so the sweat was pouring off us. When we got out of the moors Lucia turned to me and said I can show you now… the book referenced a very high chance of Adders on the last couple of miles of the moor. I was pleased she told me then. We then had to follow the road for a bit then up a final hill for the pub- typical!

Got to the pub which felt like such an achievements as we only had 2.5 miles to robin hoods bay after this! We sat outside and a northerner came out and stated “£3.70 for a pint of water, what a rip off” he had just bought a pint of fosters. We were all in stitches!

I decided to get a pint which later severely regretted as we were all so knackered! They were only doing roast dinners not sarnies so Lucia had chicken goujons and me and John prawn cocktails. I have been in my element with all the prawn cocktails and this one was by far the best! Great lettuce prawn ratio. We then very slowly started walking again. We went a bit wrong again as we were supposed to follow the coast past the robin hoods bay but instead walked on the road. I was quite happy about this as the footpath would have added an extra half mile and by this stage every little helps. As we tuned a corner we could see the bay which definitely put a bit of a spring in our step. Turned a corner and there was the pub/b&b we were staying at so dumped the bags and it was time to go for the swim! I was determined to swim both sides of the walk and after I had my swim in the tarn in the lakes and felt so refreshed I could see Lucia was slightly interested. I made her promise to get in at robin hoods bay. The bikinis went on and we headed for the beach. I can’t quite believe how bad the tan lines are. Lucia’s are definitely worse than mine but it’s just the feet! We are permanently wearing white socks!! It was a bit of an anticlimax as I wanted to be able to either jump straight in or have a steep shelving beach so your not mucking around paddling for ages! Unfortunately you had to swim out miles to get the water above your hips but we still got in! I stayed in for max 60 seconds lu about 30 but we both did it! Later on that night at the B and B and bloke came over and said “‘ere you was one of the nutters in the sea earlier right?! I am 47 and I haven’t been in that sea since I was 8 years old!”

After the swim it was definitely time for a pint. There was a pub practically on the slip way and it was fab as there were loads of other walkers that we had seen on our travels. We were only supposed to be having one but classic me I got a bit carried away. When I went to get the drinks John and I were on the pints and lu g and t. The guy asked me if I wanted the house gin as it’s a double for £3.50! The whole round cost £10.40! We had our photo taken by the coast to coast sign and signed the book in the pub then it was to climbing the hill back to the B and B. Then a very much needed shower time as due to the wild camping hadn’t had the opportunity the night before! We scrubbed ourselves down then went down the pub for dinner. The pub was very northern and we were excited about the sea food what with it being so close to the sea. We decided to get the sea food platter to share. It was rubbish! Had langoustines which were great then rubbish frozen prawns, some kind of smoked salmon and a bit of crab which was ok. I had a look around and realised everyone was eating curry so we ordered three kormas. It was great very spoons vibes but did what it said on the tin! Had a few more drinks and then we were absolutely shattered! We made it till about ten and had to go to bed. I did have a baileys as a night cap to wash down my yorkie bar! We got into bed caught the end of spider man and were banging out the z’s before you knew it! It was such luxury to sleep in a bed with a real life mattress.

Now writing this on the train from York to London. Tomorrow will be weird for all of us back to reality! It has been such a weird and wonderful experience. One that I would never like to do again but will never forget! If I did have to do it again I will not be carrying everything that’s for sure. We also want to say a HUGE thank you to everyone that’s sponsored us. It has definitely made us determined to keep going and also feel hardcore as no one does this carrying everything. It has been sooooo much harder than a marathon so put that in your pipe and smoke it Dave!! Fear not your bank balances will have a bit of a break until Lucia climbs scafell pike in September!

« Last Edit: 22:21:33, 19/07/18 by johnberman »

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Re: C2C 07 July - 08 July 2018 - Part 4
« Reply #1 on: 09:02:58, 22/07/18 »
I enjoyed all four posts re your C2C O0   Some lovely photos too!
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy