Author Topic: C2C north of Great Glen  (Read 1361 times)

astaman

C2C north of Great Glen
« on: 12:12:55, 28/07/18 »
Hi,

Does anybody know of a planned coast to coast route across Scotland north of the Great Glen - either just mapped out or executed. I'm just speculating about new long walks and can't recall this being discussed anywhere, although this is probably my ignorance of the subject. I have a slightly different perspective from most because, living in Shetland, my access to the north Highlands could be via a ferry to Orkney and then Orkney to Caithness so exploring the far north is easier than the central Highlands or areas further south. Thinking of maybe a starting point in Ullapool or Lochiver, taking in high remote bits of the west, by way of the few possible resupply points in the middle and ending in the east Highlands near Helmsdale taking in say Morven, the Maiden Pap and the Scarabens. Any thoughts?

Owen

• Veteran Member
Re: C2C north of Great Glen
« Reply #1 on: 14:36:04, 28/07/18 »
I know there are people walking C2C up there, not sure which routes they take. I suspect they mostly just make it up as they go.

Doddy

« Reply #2 on: 20:15:24, 28/07/18 »

Wouldn't a search on the The Great Outdoors Magazine and or the TGO Challenge throw up some information. Bob at Backpackinglight.co.uk had a blog on one of his not sure it is still there. He might help.
There is TGO Challenge 2018 Facebook page I guess they could help.

astaman

« Reply #3 on: 11:06:28, 29/07/18 »
[size=0px]Thanks for the suggestions. I had thought of the TGO Challenge starting points - Mallaig, because it's on the railway, seems particularly interesting. Also it's quite far to the west so extends the length of the walk compared with other possible starting points. The end points of Challenge are all to the south of the Great Glen which means that they are not useful and also mean that the direction of travel would be rather different. One of my thoughts was ending up among the easily underestimated hills inland from Berriedale like Morven and the Maiden Pap and possibly coming  by way of Ben Griam Beg and Ben Griam Mor. They are not the highest I know but they are very lovely and exciting beyond their physical size. Moreover, the towns and villages along the east coast, like Helmsdale, Dunbeath and so on, are connected by the main A9 road which would make transport out easier at the end.  
[size=0px]

[size=0px]I hadn't thought of Bob at Backpackinglight but will follow this up thanks.  

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:44:18, 30/07/18 »
Hi,

Does anybody know of a planned coast to coast route across Scotland north of the Great Glen - either just mapped out or executed. I'm just speculating about new long walks and can't recall this being discussed anywhere, although this is probably my ignorance of the subject. I have a slightly different perspective from most because, living in Shetland, my access to the north Highlands could be via a ferry to Orkney and then Orkney to Caithness so exploring the far north is easier than the central Highlands or areas further south. Thinking of maybe a starting point in Ullapool or Lochiver, taking in high remote bits of the west, by way of the few possible resupply points in the middle and ending in the east Highlands near Helmsdale taking in say Morven, the Maiden Pap and the Scarabens. Any thoughts?

Many many years ago a friend of mine did a North Highlands Coast to Coast from Helmsdale to Lochinver with his 2 teenage children; I cannot recall the exact route that he took - but I do remember lending him a Vango Force Ten MK4 tent for the trip - weight 8kg!  :buck2:

Living in Orkney I appreciate your access difficulties; the Far North worse for Shetlanders, mind you. Have you considered using the Aberdeen ferry and doing a C2C further south? You could start at Kyle of Lochalsh or thereabouts, and finish at Inverness then hop on the train/bus back to Aberdeen. Edit - or finish at Tain?
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:46:14, 30/07/18 »
[size=0px]Thanks for the suggestions. I had thought of the TGO Challenge starting points - Mallaig, because it's on the railway, seems particularly interesting. Also it's quite far to the west so extends the length of the walk compared with other possible starting points. The end points of Challenge are all to the south of the Great Glen which means that they are not useful and also mean that the direction of travel would be rather different. One of my thoughts was ending up among the easily underestimated hills inland from Berriedale like Morven and the Maiden Pap and possibly coming  by way of Ben Griam Beg and Ben Griam Mor. They are not the highest I know but they are very lovely and exciting beyond their physical size. Moreover, the towns and villages along the east coast, like Helmsdale, Dunbeath and so on, are connected by the main A9 road which would make transport out easier at the end.
[size=0px]

I'd be tempted to go by way of Ben Klibreck and the track leading east from Loch Choire. You could still divert north and climb over the Ben Griams if you wish, and then head east for Morvern etc.

The Crask Inn are camper friendly, I believe.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

astaman

« Reply #6 on: 10:17:51, 30/07/18 »
"Many many years ago a friend of mine did a North Highlands Coast to Coast from Helmsdale to Lochinver with his 2 teenage children; I cannot recall the exact route that he took - but I do remember lending him a Vango Force Ten MK4 tent for the trip - weight 8kg!     Living in Orkney I appreciate your access difficulties; the Far North worse for Shetlanders, mind you. Have you considered using the Aberdeen ferry and doing a C2C further south? You could start at Kyle of Lochalsh or thereabouts, and finish at Inverness then hop on the train/bus back to Aberdeen. Edit - or finish at Tain?"

Thanks for the reply. Anyone who carried one of those wonderful old orange Force 10s on a backpacking trip should have a monument erected in their name.

I have always tended to go via Aberdeen and travel on from there - not least because, as an over-60,  get a couple of free return trips from Shetland to Aberdeen. I thought now I'd make a virtue of a necessity and use my location to explore the far north and the east. You're right the Kyle of Lochalsh start does mean ease of travel in or out. Thanks again.

astaman

« Reply #7 on: 10:23:15, 30/07/18 »
Thanks once more Richardh. The Ben Kilbreck idea is very good as is coming around Loch Choire. I did think of the Crask Inn as a useful central point and it is camper friendly in my experience as a cyclist. I know that northbound End to Enders often use the Crask Inn and then orienteer NE to the Thurso River. I guess I could find my way across the top of the Strath of Kildonan to the back of Morven etc. But I don't know that area very well at all so would need to do a bit of research ad map gazing (always a pleasure). Ta again.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy