Author Topic: lightweight boots - must not have lace hooks ?  (Read 3379 times)

freeflyer

lightweight boots - must not have lace hooks ?
« on: 17:21:44, 02/09/07 »
Hi all, great forums :) looks a fairly new site.. hope it picks up well.

ANyway, i wonder if anyone can help.

I need some lightweight, flexible, preferably goretex (they've gotta be waterproof) mid boots. The big problem is that they cannot have lace hooks. They have to be eyelets. Budget is up to about £80.

So, the criteria is..

Very Flexible
Very Light
Waterproof.
No hooks.
perferably not bulky tread, but i can live with this.

I dont ask much :) I was looking at the scarpa nitro xcr, they seemed ideal until i treied them on and found that the smallest mens size (size 41) is slightly too large for me (i'm a UK 7 ish).

Has anyone got any other suggestions? I'm even considering the womens scarpa nitro's, as these come in smaller sizes, and the only difference seems to be colour (which isnt actually that bad).

Thanks
adi
« Last Edit: 17:27:52, 02/09/07 by freeflyer »

Snowman

Re: lightweight boots - must not have lace hooks ?
« Reply #1 on: 09:23:52, 05/09/07 »
Go with the women's sizes.

My walking colleague has small feet too, and found the women's Meindls more comfortable than the men's.    Apparently on the other hand his sister wears men's boots.

I don't think anyone will notice, and if they're comfortable who cares?

S.

freeflyer

« Reply #2 on: 09:29:33, 05/09/07 »
yep i think thats what i'm going to do.. the womens colours basically look like trainers colours anyway, so not that bad. Unfortunately the no hooks thing has really limited me, so i think  these are my best bet.

Is it me or are sizes getting bigger.. i always used to take a 7 but now most of them seem big :D

Snowman

« Reply #3 on: 10:25:59, 05/09/07 »
I think more manufacturers are recognising that us Brits tend to have wider feet, but perhaps you're the exception?

One of the websites (unfortunately I can't remember which one) gives a fit indicator as well as size.

Also, some manufacturers did start putting out UK sizes a size too small.    I had that problem with Salomon some time back.    I'd always taken the same size of theirs, then one day made bought  pair that were slightly too small, but unfortunately didn't realise until I did some serious walking in them, by which time most retailers won't take them back.

S.

freeflyer

« Reply #4 on: 11:57:02, 05/09/07 »
well, i think the 41 is actually 7 and a 1/4, making it slightly too large.. it nearly fits but doesnt. Its not necessairly the width but the fit in general.

Today though i've also seen the berghaus rush mid boot, so i might have a butchers at that later on.. although the last berghaus goretext i bought (explorer IV's) began to slightly leak after about 20 hours use.. so i'm a bit reluctant.

Is scarpa generally considered quite good?

Snowman

« Reply #5 on: 14:25:05, 05/09/07 »
Scarpa is generally considered a very good make.

In fact I've known a couple of people who have had Scarpa's and not had to bother with waterproof linings.

S.

freeflyer

« Reply #6 on: 14:31:42, 05/09/07 »
just checked the berghaus pro rush out at my local blacks.. nice looking but a bit stiffer, but they're 468 grams against the 780 of the scarpas ! thats a LOT lighter and pushes them slightly above the scarpas....

anyway, thanks for the help.
adi
« Last Edit: 14:58:09, 05/09/07 by freeflyer »

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 00:10:46, 17/09/07 »
yep i think thats what i'm going to do.. the womens colours basically look like trainers colours anyway, so not that bad. Unfortunately the no hooks thing has really limited me, so i think  these are my best bet.

Is it me or are sizes getting bigger.. i always used to take a 7 but now most of them seem big :D
aiya freeflyer, can i ask why you dont want lace hooks on you boots,any particular reason?
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

freeflyer

« Reply #8 on: 09:58:37, 17/09/07 »
hi darksky...

I wanted a dual purpose pair of light flexible boots both for mild mid week walking and also for hang gliding...  for hang gliding purposes you cant have the hooks in case they get caught on the wires during launches etc.
I could just go for some dedicated hang/paragliding boots, but they are normally very very high up your ankle, and a bit too bulky for me to use for double purpose boots..

Oh, and i eventually went for some berghaus pro-rush mid boots.. really nice looking and seems a great shoe.  the only problem is that the right foot boot seems to have a manfacturing defect where the inner front seems to come in too sharply with a nobbly bit, and makes them uncomfortable. I'm just waiting for my local blacks to get some replacments in, but it looks like it may be a batch problem as the other ones in the shop also had it on the right boot.. the fit is fairly snug for me so i'm noticing it a bit more than other people i guess.
« Last Edit: 10:01:34, 17/09/07 by freeflyer »

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 11:25:45, 17/09/07 »
thanks freeflyer for clearing that up for me i was abit baffled as to why no hooks, cheers.., ive also gotta pair of boots from BLACKS made by them too, i cant make up my mind about them thou now as ive seen a mint pair of ASOLO MATRIX FLAME boots priced at £119, check em out if you get chance,there in septembers issue of TRAIL magazine. anyway yeh PARAGLIDEING wow you lucky ''trekker'' thats somet I'd love to try, I'm doing my 1st parachute jump in December i cant wait, have you done any ?
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

freeflyer

« Reply #10 on: 17:24:03, 17/09/07 »
nope never done a parachute jump.. always fancied it though...

the paragliding/hang gliding thing is great fun though.. i do hang gliding but haven't tried paragliding yet.. i'm not sure it appeals to me as its slower and more 'floaty' than hang gliding, and inherently more dangerous (a bit of turbulance can collapse the canopies !!).

yetanotherben

« Reply #11 on: 16:11:52, 20/09/07 »
just checked the berghaus pro rush out at my local blacks.. nice looking but a bit stiffer, but they're 468 grams against the 780 of the scarpas ! thats a LOT lighter and pushes them slightly above the scarpas....

anyway, thanks for the help.
adi

I just wanted to throw another pair into the mix...how about the Salomon Fusion which you can get in 7's...£75...

Let us know what you decide!

Ben
« Last Edit: 18:05:55, 08/04/08 by Chris »
"Walking is man's best medicine..."
Hippocrates (460 BC - 377 BC)

"Walking is man's and woman's best medicine..." or should it be "Walking is men's and women's best medicine..."???
Ben (1983 AD - Present Day)

http://www.cheaptents.com [nofollow] - Camping Equipment & Outdoor Shop

freeflyer

« Reply #12 on: 16:34:40, 20/09/07 »
the fusions look well nice, but i need  a mid boot at the very least...

still waiting on my berghaus replacements.. apparently they're getting them in tomorrow.. hopefully its not from another faulty batch ..

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy