Author Topic: TR – a short walk on the South West Coast Path from Teignmouth to Dawlish Warren  (Read 2880 times)

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member

The South West Coast Path (SWCP) is a 630 mile National Trail from Minehead to Poole Harbour and this is a report of the trail between Teignmouth and Dawlish Warren in Devon, a distance of about 7km.

I started from the pier in Teignmouth on a gorgeous sunny day. The pier was badly damaged in the storms of February 2014 but has now been repaired and providing family amusements again.
Teignmouth1

The path follows the promenade with Exmouth in the distance across the Exe estuary. This length of path was closed for many months after the storms to allow Network Rail to carry out repairs.

Teignmouth 2

Teignmouth 3
Alongside the path is the railway line from Exeter to Plymouth so you will regularly have trains passing with the holiday makers waving as they pass you.

Passing train

At the end of this promenade is the rock formation Parson & Clerk.
 Parson & clerk

Brunel constructed the railway in the 1840s and had to construct five tunnels through the cliffs, quite a feat of engineering. The next image is one of the tunnels with the maintenance offices for Network Rail alongside.
 Tunnel

The trail now goes under the railway and up Smugglers Lane. Who knows what contraband was taken up this steep lane?

Smuggler's Lane

There’s a short stretch of walking along the A379 before the path heads coastwards again up this leafy lane that provided some welcome shade.

Welcome shade

The path then opens out to provide this lovely view towards Dawlish and the Exe estuary.

View from hill
The path then descends a steep hill and you can see another tunnel in the distance.

Hilly bit

I then got a view of Shell Cove and Horse Rocks.

Shell cove & horse rocks

The path then goes through an expensive housing estate before dropping down to a viewing point for this shot of Dawlish.
 Dawlish

This section of the railway was extensively damaged in the storms of February 2014 and this shot of the station shows after it was largely rebuilt.
 Railway strengthening

The path then skirts the southern end of Dawlish with the delightful Dawlish Water running through the village and home to the black swans.

Dawlish Water

The path is now closed for a short section where they are still strengthening the retaining wall where the railway line was left dangling in mid-air in the storms so you have to follow the A379 for a short distance. You can then go back down to the promenade where you get this view towards Dawlish Warren.

Towards Dawlish Warren

As you approach Dawlish Warren you get this view of the Exe estuary with Exmouth in the distance.

Exe Estuary

Journey’s end at Dawlish Warren with a nature reserve in the distance where thousands of birds come to feed on their way to migration or to spend the winter. http://www.dawlishwarren.info/things-to-do-at-dawlish-warren/dawlish-warren-nature-reserve
 Dawlish Warren

Anyone for a cuppa because I’m feeling decidedly warm!
 Journey's end

Keith

« Last Edit: 21:50:16, 26/05/15 by Welsh Rambler »

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
That's a nice walk Keith, thanks for posting.  I always enjoy passing that stretch when on the train.  It has to be the most scenic rail line in the country.  By the way, if you insert your photos from Photobucket it's best to re-size them to 800 x 600, they will then appear in the correct size.

April

• Veteran Member
Lovely place  O0 Love the shot of Shell Cove and Horse Rocks Welsh Rambler  :)
Hate will never win

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
Looks a lovely walk   :)   

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
That's a nice walk Keith, thanks for posting.  I always enjoy passing that stretch when on the train.  It has to be the most scenic rail line in the country.  By the way, if you insert your photos from Photobucket it's best to re-size them to 800 x 600, they will then appear in the correct size.
Thanks Dave. You have probably realised I suffer from WOGTD (Welsh Old Git Technology Deficit) hence the teeny weeny photos.  :D  I cropped the images on the computer to 800x600 pixels and then uploaded to Flickr. When I then copied and pasted from Flickr the photos got reduced again. I am wondering if I upload to Flickr at full resolution whether the Forum software will reduce the resolution?
Regards Keith

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
Lovely place  O0 Love the shot of Shell Cove and Horse Rocks Welsh Rambler  :)
Thanks April. Sorry about the photo size  :-[
Regards Keith

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
Looks a lovely walk   :)
Thanks Dovegirl, it is a lovely stretch of coast. I'll do some further lengths of the path but must get to grips with the technology or everybody will be going to SpecSavers  :o

Regards Keith

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
Thanks Dave. You have probably realised I suffer from WOGTD (Welsh Old Git Technology Deficit) hence the teeny weeny photos.  :D  I cropped the images on the computer to 800x600 pixels and then uploaded to Flickr. When I then copied and pasted from Flickr the photos got reduced again. I am wondering if I upload to Flickr at full resolution whether the Forum software will reduce the resolution?
Regards Keith
I am the same age as you Keith so I am certainly no computer whizz, but I think you are going about the re-sizing in the wrong way. You don't have to crop the photos to re-size them.  There is computer software that will do this for you.  I load my photos on to the forum from Photobucket, which has the facility to re-size them.  I have not used Flickr so I don't know if this will also allow re-sizing.  Perhaps someone who is a bit more computer literate than we are can help with this. (It probably needs a 5-year old ;D )

April

• Veteran Member
Sorry about the photo size

Size isn't important  ;)

I upload mine to Photobucket from my tablet and I'm sure there was an option to set the size of the pics for forum use so I never have to resize them. Don't know about Flickr   :(
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy