Author Topic: Mad Dog and an Englishman go walking . . The West Highland Way in November  (Read 7090 times)

Cairn hopper

Nice update. Keep it coming. Hopefully you didn't feel you might end up stuffed in the Drovers Inn lol.

IanyZen

Day Five  - Crianlarich to Bridge of Orchy

No better way to start the day with black pudding & sausages .. yummy. I’m buzzing.
Ducking, diving, weaving, leaping, sprinting, dodging, slipping, sliding . . such fun. The conifer plantation with spongy floor, slippery leaves & soft paths was the best playground ever & with the low branches there was no following or catching me. This was heaven.
 :smitten:
I skimmed across the path so Ian could catch a glimpse to shut him up from whistling me when I was out of sight… I’ll never know, why  he’s thinks I’ll lose him.. Fat chance.
He may have a shower every day, but he’s been in the SAME walking clothes for five days! Merino wool ain’t that good.   ::)

Still I must be careful of the pools.  No one wants a repeat of this on the PW a few years back!

He and Ruth wandered and chatted . . . all the way, oblivious the ace Wigwams at another dissolute campsite.
No worries, as it gave me a chance to say ‘Hola’ to everyone in a dog-friendly café.
It’s difficult at my age, but I put on my best cute puppy face to gain a few snacks from those around.  ;) 

Ian got excited about this –

Chocolate fish ‘n’ chips – even better than fired Mars Bars . .  :D

Ruth sadly had to leave us at Bridge of Orchy . . covered in rain mist . . .
With camp site swamped, this would be a dodgy night –
“Come on Ian, don’t be so tight, we’re on holiday, we’ve earned it. I know before the hotel online cost more than £100 a night . . with all you can eat buffet breakfast … you never know, just ask ..  I’ve been practising my cute face… got it down to a tee”
– oh, if only I could speak!
Great minds think alike, ‘cause he bl**dy well, did just that, and we were in, for much less as well.   O0
Even better . . he washed his clothes!  ;D
Good luck on your next adventure
Ian & Zen

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
Enjoying this!   :)

IanyZen

Day Six  - Bridge of Orchy to Kingshouse

Apart from descending Conic Hill, unsurprisingly we had seen virtually no one on the Way - An Italian cook, a few pooches with runners, a family on the Loch shore . . that was it… I’m not grumbling, as
I’m gonna be King of Rannoch Moor . .  for the day!
And Ian, your role is to find another night’s stay, fit for a King . .
Good luck with that one with Inveroran & Kings House Hotels closed!
Saw a few of these -

One of two locals out for a stroll

Slippy paws - couldn't get it right, sorry.

Just how many photos do you want of me !

Reminds me of a teddy bear.  :D

Ian was not impressed with Kings House Hotel’s alternative café / bar  .  . designer mini-sandwiches with designer prices, more at home in Edinburgh, than Rannoch Moor.
I was even less impressed – I was left outside in the cold.  >:(
The new hostel (on left below), just opened a week before, looked inviting . . alas not for dogs.  >:(

We trudged back up to the Glencoe Ski Centre to stay in a Hobbit House . . . oh,  I had dreams of this –

And got this !

Still, it was warm and cosy & I was welcome.

Buenos Noches  :)
Ian & Zen

Cairn hopper

Love it. This has really cheered me up before bed. Sadly you don't have much ground left to cover.

Good night.

IanyZen

Day Seven – Kingshouse to Kinlochleven

Out of breath from the breathtaking 360 scenery. I wanted to climb every hill and listen to my bark bounce off each.
We settled for a meandering path through the valley before meeting our Angel of the North, from Lancashire, or God’s country as Ian’s dad would proclaim . . up the staircase.

Our Angel    :angel:

Ian takes so long to make a brew & whip up some lunch, I’m resorting to chewing on this.

Everyone we met on the way stopped for a chat . . . except one mother & daughter who whizzed passed us on top of Devil’s Staircase . . now, nothing unusual in that, only Ian reckons she was Jill, a long lost friend from Aberdeen, who he trekked twice in Nepal with many years ago.
I reckon he’s lost it, not cause he was convinced it was her, cause he spent the next half hour talking to me, a dog, about his adventures in Nepal .. Maybe this wilderness is getting to him.  :D
There’s no way I’m getting on another flight, so you’re on your own!  :-\

View from MacDonald Hotel

My paws were feeling a bit sore from the stony uneven path. I was glad it was a halfish day.  :)
Ian & Zen

Mel

• Veteran Member
I'm really enjoying this trip report.  A nice little read each night before bed  O0

IanyZen

Day Eight – Kinlochleven to Fort William and  . . .

He’s so predictable. I knew today was the last day . . he was polishing off the last scraps in the backpack & I was given my emergency rations.
I love the euphoria but the melancholy of the freedom & enjoyment coming to an end is tough.  :-\
Last time we were in Scotland, we earned a well-deserved free half .  .  
Wonder what we’ll get this time ?. . I’ll take a dram of whiskey . .
I was astounded  . . .
But first, there’s always a sting in the tail . . The Highlands had been easy on us, until now . . .
I’ve been a good dog, respectful of the wildlife, not dirtying the path (just in case Ian can’t scrapit all up), clean my plate, not shaking my self inside,  . . . so why oh why is someone or thing hurling blocks of ice at my head, straight in my face . . bl**dy hurts.
I now understand “Stay clam . . carry on” . . cause all you can do is head down, head on.
Ian wisely followed my lead . . literally as he lost balance on the stepping stones, after I spotted the ideal time for a yank & he ended up [censored] over tit in the stream . .
Surprisingly he just smirked . . Huh, I need a set of his waterproofs.

We were kicking up a head of steam .  . only one bus from Fort William allows dogs (at driver’s discretion). I’ve been ordered to look like butter wouldn’t melt in my mouth, but I hate butter. 
Fort William -

Poor chap . . it was so cold, he was rock solid .  .  :-[   Who is he?  
Never could fix that rotation -

The lady in the train station was super nice & gentle and helped get me all dry and clean with her lovely soft towels . . surely not all this attention to impress a bus driver…
You’ll never guess, our Angel appeared at the bus stop to check if I had managed to drag Ian safely through the mountains. Great to know someone one’s looking out for you. Thanks.  O0

Bus journey was a hoot . . whilst Ian was trying to clean the windows to spot Nessie, I had 25 school kids vying to give me attention . . then back on the trains, from Inverness to Perth . . . where were we heading . . . ?

Wet, muddy, smelly . . such an embarrassment, with his wet tent sticking out his back pack, we wander into Gleneagles Hotel . . 
Well done son, through work he got us a couple of free nights   O0
. . . ooh, 5 star breakfasts .  . yummy  :smitten:
. He had the luxury room. I didn’t care, cause I was sharing with the gun dogs. We had a blast, regaling hunting adventures & escapades, me from the mean streets of Mexico and them from the Scottish wilds. Oh, I learnt so much.  O0
Can’t wait for our next adventure .  .  to the Alps . . Marmots I’m coming for you!

The nice guys at Virgin  , due to the cancelled & delayed train, have given us a free return journey. . .  Yorkshire or Scotland. . . dilemmas?

I hope you liked my trip report as much as I enjoyed the adventure. hey, but wait it’s incomplete . .

Every Trip Report has a Gear List:

Zen   :smitten:
Ian & Zen

Mel

• Veteran Member
Brilliant!  Blummin brilliant.  I've really enjoyed each "episode" from your doggie perspective.  Thank you for posting it  O0

PS. Loving the gear list at the end  ;D

Cairn hopper

I've absolutely loved this and I'm sad it's all over. Thanks for taking the time to do this and share it with us.

Jac

• Veteran Member
A really Great Read - and so many memories or the WWH and of doing the SWCP with my dog. Very impressed with the gear list - proper dog bowls! I only took a carrier bag.

Hurry up and do the next - wherever.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

adalard

• Veteran Member
Somehow I've missed this thread as it's unfolded - so I've just had the luxury of reading it all in one go. It's a cracking TR and I thoroughly enjoyed it... Love the "dog's eye perspective" on your walk - genius!  O0 :)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Great thread I've really enjoyed it. O0

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
Very enjoyable and entertaining read   :)   

toadoftoadhall

Superb.  My son is wanting a dog next  year,  sending him this in the hope he wants to do it, and drag me along.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy