Author Topic: Pick your path  (Read 1257 times)

Ayliffedon

Pick your path
« on: 06:42:43, 08/02/21 »
Good morning all,

So a friend and I have just signed up for Pick your path in the Peak District in July, we are both so excited, although both new to trekking etc. I am more of a runner so would really appreciate any advice you lovely lot have to give on walking boots 🥾 and if anyone has done this 26 mile trek or this walk, any tips?  :) :)

Thanks
Dawn

Peak

Re: Pick your path
« Reply #1 on: 06:45:04, 08/02/21 »
Where are you doing the 26 mile walk?

Peak

« Reply #2 on: 06:50:24, 08/02/21 »
Sorry forgot the boot part of your question. If you're doing this in July have you considered wearing trail/running shoes?. I changed to them many years ago and now only wear boots in really bad winter conditions, just a thought.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:13:12, 08/02/21 »

More details in the link if people are interested.

https://www.mariecurie.org.uk/get-involved/charity-events/hiking/peak-district-pick

I can't find a route map but it sounds fairly low level so you could follow Peak's advice or it you want a little more support and guaranteed dry feet get some cheap fabric boots from Sports Direct. If the walking bug bites you can upgrade later but there is no reason to spend lots for one walk, put any money towards Marie Curie instead.

When going to buy boots, particularly somewhere that you will get no help;
Go in the afternoon when your feet will have spread.
Wear a thin pair of socks with a thick pair over the top.
Check that there is room for you toes to spread out but no movement of the boot on your foot.
Wear the boots to wander round the shop for at least 10 minutes, this is a long time and makes you look like a potential shop lifter.

After purchase wear your boots round the house to start with so that you can return them if they are in any way uncomfortable.
On the walk take Compeed blister plasters and put them on as soon as you feel a hot spot. Don't buy cheap imitations.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:20:52, 08/02/21 »
Welcome to the forum from South Cumbria, Dawn.  :)

Regarding footwear - I have had a look at the Peak District Pick Your Path web page (a good cause) and it looks as if you will not be going up onto the boggy peat moorland of the Dark Peak, so some fabric walking shoes or even cross country running shoes should be sufficient.

As for training - just get out there and do lots of walking, including some longer distance walks, Lockdown permitting.

Good luck - and do let us know how you get on.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Ayliffedon

« Reply #5 on: 13:24:55, 08/02/21 »
Great thank you for your help, my friend and I both run our own businesses so will hopefully be able to raise a fair bit of dosh! We are both very excited about new walking boots 🥾 (I think it is the focus we both need at the moment) we will follow your good advise!

Looking forward to some long walks, fingers crossed we are able to get around a bit more soon!

Thanks
D
X

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:45:53, 08/02/21 »
A further vote here for trail running footwear. I've been wearing Inov8 roclites for the past 3 years now. I prefer the light weight and flexibility of them. I have a pair of traditional leather hiking boots but seldom put them on.
I suggest you search Roclite on this forum and take a look at the reviews by Wildwalking; again linked to this forum.

So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy