Author Topic: BARGAIN THREAD  (Read 258737 times)

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
Re: BARGAIN THREAD
« Reply #510 on: 19:25:39, 16/03/18 »
Millets are doing Craghoppers Classic Kiwi trousers at £30.60. https://www.millets.co.uk/mens/100047-craghoppers-mens-classic-kiwi-trousers.html  Bought a pair today and they gave me a 20% off voucher for a next purchase which isn't time limited. Could be useful if you planned to buy an expensive item.

Regards Keith

RogerA

« Reply #511 on: 15:45:23, 19/03/18 »
Looking at Alt Berg boots - are defender the ones to go for? There seem to be more of these around than others.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #512 on: 16:03:02, 19/03/18 »
The Defender is a military boot not a walking boot but could easily be used for low level walks. The main differences between the Defender and the specific walking boot models are that it has a Cambrelle quick drying lining not a Sympatex waterproof lining and I don't think it would provide the necessary ankle support for walking on higher terrain due to the softer leather used above ankle height.

These are the Altberg walking boot models http://www.altberg.co.uk/category/factory-made-boots/

Depending on the type of walking terrain you walk on the most the main models to look at are as follows:-
2-3 season - Fremington and Malham
3    season - Tethera and Nordkapp
3-4 season - Mallerstang

RogerA

« Reply #513 on: 16:06:56, 19/03/18 »
The Defender is a military boot not a walking boot but could easily be used for low level walks. The main differences between the Defender and the specific walking boot models are that it has a Cambrelle quick drying lining not a Sympatex waterproof lining and I don't think it would provide the necessary ankle support for walking on higher terrain due to the softer leather used above ankle height.

These are the Altberg walking boot models http://www.altberg.co.uk/category/factory-made-boots/

Depending on the type of walking terrain you walk on the most the main models to look at are as follows:-
2-3 season - Fremington and Malham
3    season - Tethera and Nordkapp
3-4 season - Mallerstang

Huge thanks for that!
Looking at your link it looks like I'm after the Mallerstang - now I just need to find a size 11 wide at the right price.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #514 on: 16:27:22, 19/03/18 »
I only do day walks, typically 5-15 miles, being in the midlands most of the time walks are fairly flat, mostly off road, though I do make frequent day trips to Wales, Shropshire & the Peak District so some hill walks.

If the above is still a true representation of the type of walking you do the Tethera or Nordkapp will be more than adequate for your needs and although not specifically rated for crampon use both models have been used with flexible crampons for short periods by several forum members. The Mallerstang is a beast of a boot and might be total overkill for your needs?

RogerA

« Reply #515 on: 16:37:11, 19/03/18 »
If the above is still a true representation of the type of walking you do the Tethera or Nordkapp will be more than adequate for your needs and although not specifically rated for crampon use both models have been used with flexible crampons for short periods by several forum members. The Mallerstang is a beast of a boot and might be total overkill for your needs?

Wow! Quoting me back at myself - very impressive! Yes all still true so you're probably right they'd be overkill. I was more looking at the height of the ankle support which seemed higher than the others which I find I like on my current boots. (I certainly dont ever use crampons).
If I'm going to go overkill on one item its probably going to be the boots - even buying a second pair at all could be considered overkill - the ones I wear now still work  - I'd just find it useful to have a second pair to alternate between.

[edit: Looking at them again the Tethera or Nordkapp look more similar than I'd previously thought - I'll think on more. Thanks again for your advice]

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #516 on: 16:55:50, 19/03/18 »
It's not so much the increase ankle height of the Mallerstang it's the additional weight you have to drag around everywhere and the increased overall stiffness of the boot particularly the increased stiffness of the sole which you may find to be uncomfortable when walking on flatter terrain for any distance.

My advice would be to go for the Tethera or Nordkapp whichever last / width fitting best suits/fits your feet and you find to be the most comfortable.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #517 on: 17:42:29, 19/03/18 »
Altberg Nordkapp 3 Season Boots Size 8½ A Forme Last Medium Width Fitting. New with box. Buy-It-Now @ £120 plus £8.95 Royal Mail second class signed for delivery or Make An Offer.
Current RRP for these is £204.99

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Men-s-Altberg-Nordkapp-Boots/222890142359

nesty

« Reply #518 on: 17:59:08, 19/03/18 »
I wish the Tethera had a rand like that around the boot. I have scuffed my Tethera toe box on rocks.

All these decent boots listed come up never in my size!

MichaelUK

« Reply #519 on: 18:19:55, 19/03/18 »
I would disagree with Kinkyboots in his description of the Altberg Defender boots, having just bought a pair myself. They are an excellent walking boot and give excellent ankle support. Ive walked over a hundred miles in them, several 20 milers across peat bogs, muddy fields, and streams. Believe me they are waterproof. Altberg discribe them as being just as waterproof as Sympatex lined boots, especially if cared for correctly. I would describe them as a 3-4 season boot, weather wise that is. May be too warm for summer use.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #520 on: 19:30:37, 19/03/18 »
I would disagree with Kinkyboots in his description of the Altberg Defender boots, having just bought a pair myself. They are an excellent walking boot and give excellent ankle support. Ive walked over a hundred miles in them, several 20 milers across peat bogs, muddy fields, and streams. Believe me they are waterproof. Altberg discribe them as being just as waterproof as Sympatex lined boots, especially if cared for correctly. I would describe them as a 3-4 season boot, weather wise that is. May be too warm for summer use.

We will agree to differ.  ;)

Without the inclusion of a waterproof liner the Altberg Defender is water resistant not waterproof. Should the full thickness of the leather ever get fully soaked through you will have wet feet.

http://www.altberg.co.uk/product/mens-defender-combat-boot-mod-brown-uk-military-issue-boot/

For use in cold and wet conditions and more rugged mountainous terrain the army move up to the Altberg Bergen boot which is made from thicker leather, has increased ankle support and a Sympatex waterproof liner.

http://www.altberg.co.uk/product/bergen-boot-mod-brown/

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #521 on: 08:31:58, 20/03/18 »
Altberg Fremington Men's 2-3 Season Boots Size 8 Narrow Fit listed as new with box. Buy-It-Now Price £79 with free delivery. Current RRP for these is £164.99

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Alt-Berg-Fremington-Mens-Walking-Boots-UK8-RRP-159/173165546756

These have been relisted Buy-It-Now Price £70 with free delivery.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Alt-Berg-Fremington-Mens-Walking-Boots-UK8-RRP-159/173226165942

MichaelUK

« Reply #522 on: 21:25:51, 20/03/18 »
Dam, thats a bargain! Unfortunately size 10 here

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #523 on: 10:02:09, 21/03/18 »
Nothing to do with hiking I'm afraid but if you have taken out a Power of Attorney on anyone between the 1st April 2013 and 31st March 2017 you may be entitled to up to a £54 refund. Just Gooogle in 'Power of Attorney refund' and go to Gov site. If you are successful you could choose to spend the money on your next hike?

nesty

« Reply #524 on: 14:00:21, 23/03/18 »
EBAY - Today (23.3.18). 20% off.
Doing a deal coupon PAY20LESS. Only until 6pm tonight for certain sections, including sport and Leisure, which covers most walking/hiking equipment. Just got 20% off a pair of Hi Tec Penriths!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy