Author Topic: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?  (Read 274992 times)

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Re: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?
« Reply #510 on: 08:42:34, 21/05/18 »
Off down the Dales today, checking out my route for a group walk I'm leading on Thursday....Monks Dale, Peter Dale, Flag Dale and finally, Chee Dale.

Looking forward to seeing the stunning wild flowers/orchids en-route! 8)

***Happiness is only a smile away***

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #511 on: 09:19:09, 21/05/18 »
Last Wednesday was my 69th birthday so I went out for the day to the Yorkshire Sculpture Park. Combining my interest in art, and love of walking. I only did seven miles. After I had seen the sculptures I left the park and walked around the surrounding area. If anyone is going, to avoid the parking fees in the park, head for the Village Hall car park at West Bretton, a small donation in the honesty box. Ten minutes walk to the main entrance. Three pages of photo's on my blog.
 https://meanqueen-lifeaftermoney.blogspot.co.uk/2018/05/pics-from-yorkshire-sculpture-park.html

Recommended for a lovely day out.

Ilona

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #512 on: 10:02:57, 21/05/18 »
Belated happy birthday, Ilona.  :)

The sculpture park's been on my to-do list for so long - I really need to sort out a visit. Looks like there is some fascinating stuff there at the moment. I especially liked the "dead tree" at the beginning and the unravelled string in the chapel. Looks like a grand way to spend a birthday.  O0

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #513 on: 18:59:29, 21/05/18 »
Hi. The dead tree looks amazing in real life, difficult to get good photo's. Check their web site for when exhibitions open and close. Some are on for a long time. The string in the chapel was surreal, the man supervising was very helpful with information. I find all the staff there are keen to talk about the exhibits.
https://ysp.org.uk/

Ilona

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #514 on: 15:30:48, 22/05/18 »
Nice pics of ysp  O0
Last time I went it was free parking, roadside on lane heading North ish out of Bretton, near a farm.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #515 on: 15:55:07, 22/05/18 »
Finally became a fully fledged Dartmoor walker today. Walking round Gidleigh Common to get to Watern Tor I managed to climb along the railings over the North Teign River successfully only to slip and fall in a bog just the other side.Still it’s been a warm week so it wasn’t too cold  In retrospect, trying to save myself by grabbing a barbed wire fence was a bad idea.  >:(
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #516 on: 19:57:34, 22/05/18 »
Finally became a fully fledged Dartmoor walker today. Walking round Gidleigh Common to get to Watern Tor I managed to climb along the railings over the North Teign River successfully only to slip and fall in a bog just the other side.Still it’s been a warm week so it wasn’t too cold  In retrospect, trying to save myself by grabbing a barbed wire fence was a bad idea.  >:(

I know that route and crossing point.  How is the area looking after the fire a few weeks back. I saw it burning from Yes tor.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #517 on: 20:03:20, 22/05/18 »
Had a lovely walk through the Blue Bell Woods near Sheeps tor village and Burrator, with MrsG. They realy are exceptional this year. Oh what a womderful smell too. Easy to cross the waterfall and take the short cut back to the Dam, in this dry weather.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #518 on: 20:33:32, 22/05/18 »
I know that route and crossing point.  How is the area looking after the fire a few weeks back. I saw it burning from Yes tor.
The area has greened rapidly but the burnt gorse is still very much in evidence. A bonus is that passage through the area is a doddle at present.
Solvitur Ambulando

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #519 on: 20:15:32, 28/05/18 »
I walked the coast from Hastings to the village of Fairlight Cove today.  A fantastic walk, with towering sandstone cliffs, steep wooded ravines, and magnificent coastal views.  One of the best walks in Sussex!

rambling oldie

« Reply #520 on: 10:57:53, 02/06/18 »
Next Monday I’m leading my U3A rambling group through some lovely Surrey countryside.  Starting from the Barley Mow at The Sands, crossing Crooksbury Common,  probably having a water break by the side of the River Wey looking across fields to ruined Waverley Abbey.  Then we’ll pass Mother Ludlum’s cave, some WW2 defences and after some twists and turns a steep wooded climb up to Crooksbury viewpoint.  No urban sprawls to see so when on my own up there I can imagine looking out across Middle Earth.  Finally downhill through the woods and a quiet lane to the pub.  Just short of 6 miles, bliss.  

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #521 on: 20:05:37, 06/06/18 »
I walked in the Wealden Greensand of Sussex today, from the village of Trotton to Midhurst.  A delightful walk in glorious sunshine, with some very pretty scenery along the river Rother, and there were masses of wild flowers.   

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #522 on: 23:56:30, 06/06/18 »
Enjoyed a quick spin around Staple Tor out to the stone circle to a Tor I had not visited before hiding above the river behind great Mis tor. Near  grenna ball. There was a touching memorial plaque screwed to a boulder to a chap named Bob.  Such a tranquil spot away from the main routes.  I will certainly return there again at some point, to enjoy the sound of the river gently tumbling toward  Merryvale.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #523 on: 00:24:18, 15/06/18 »
Seven miles around Burrator Reservior this evening after work.  Taking in Sheep's for, Down tor, Leather tor & Sharpie tor.  Then back to Royal William yard for a family meal. Great evening.

Getyourbootson

« Reply #524 on: 09:32:12, 15/06/18 »
I'm training for a 26 mile London walk so walking anywhere! Any one want to join me on the charity challenge?  If you visit

www. sustainforlife.org / london-marathon-walk     (no spaces in URL!)  

you can sign up, more the merrier.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy