Author Topic: Pillar ascent query  (Read 1261 times)

henryb

• Veteran Member
Pillar ascent query
« on: 21:19:01, 19/05/18 »
I'm thinking of climbing Pillar this year from Honister Slate Mine. The route I'm thinking about is to pick up the Moses trod in the direction of the Gables, branching right around the side of Kirk fell before climbing Pillar. My route of descent would be Pillar - Black Sail Pass - Black sail hostel in Ennerdale - Scarth gap - Buttermere. Would this be achievable in 6 hours? I cover 3 km per hour in mountainous terrain. Are there any obstacles on this route in terms of exposed ridges or awkward river crossings? Thanks, Henry

April

• Veteran Member
Re: Pillar ascent query
« Reply #1 on: 20:32:31, 20/05/18 »
Hi Henry

There is a bit of a rock step coming down from Black Sail Pass to Ennerdale but nothing that should worry you, I don't think. There are a few drops to the right to look at going up Pillar but the path is wide and you can keep well away from any drops if you want to. Oh, there are some loose stones (I know you hate this as much as me) when you descend to Beck Head from the path around Great Gable but it is quickly over with. The terrain is a bit hard going but I think you could do it in 6 hours. If you are getting the bus you could catch it at Gatesgarth instead of Buttermere if you are pressed for time. It is a fab walk this, we did it the year before last but pitched our tent on Scoat Fell and descended Steeple to get to Black Sail and Scarth Gap.
Hate will never win

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:55:54, 20/05/18 »
Thanks very much April, this is very useful :)  I descended Great Gable to Beck Head a few years ago. If I can do that is the descent to Ennerdale from Black Sail pass easier in comparison? Thanks, Henry

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:00:41, 20/05/18 »
Henry, it is a while since I descended to Ennerdale from Black Sail, I remember the rocky step thing but I can't remember the rest, I think I would have remembered the rest if it was problematic. Can anyone else help here with Henry's question?
Hate will never win

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #4 on: 08:34:30, 21/05/18 »
I last descended Black Sail pass to Ennerdale and onto Buttermere via Scarth Gap last September.   I remember that we did it in torrential rain, on a walk from Eskdale to Buttermere, and whilst the path is very loose in places, it's perfectly do-able - no sheer drops.   You just need to take your take time on it.   

The Ennerdale side of Scarth Gap pass is pitched a lot, so it's pretty easy.   You probably already know the descent down into Buttermere is also a bit loose in places.

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:04:04, 23/05/18 »
Thanks Lakeland Lorry, good to know O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy