Author Topic: pain in the neck  (Read 1596 times)

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
pain in the neck
« on: 22:52:55, 21/05/18 »
while walking the Cumbria way my old ruck sack was giving me a pain across the neck and back by the end of the day had it 20 years never any problems before. just tried a different one from home today and i had the same problem after 4 miles. :(
Great things are done when women and mountains meet.

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
Re: pain in the neck
« Reply #1 on: 23:51:03, 21/05/18 »
Two things to try.

1) Many people carry their rucksacks too high so the shoulders and back bear too much of the weight. Maybe this could affect the neck too as they are all connected. The hip belt should be snug around the hips to transfer some of the weight there. Also do not carry more weight than you need!

2) I find walking poles on steep up hills help my back, no doubt because some of the weight/balance support is transferred.  

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 05:56:55, 23/05/18 »
Two things to try.

1) Many people carry their rucksacks too high so the shoulders and back bear too much of the weight. Maybe this could affect the neck too as they are all connected. The hip belt should be snug around the hips to transfer some of the weight there. Also do not carry more weight than you need!

2) I find walking poles on steep up hills help my back, no doubt because some of the weight/balance support is transferred.

Thanks I do both of those already.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:57:57, 23/05/18 »
I hope it is a temporary problem MC. You might have just strained something it and it will get better on it's own. Does the pain go away when you take off your rucksack? If the problem continues I would go to your GP to rule out anything that needs attention. I get some pain at times later in a hike but I have neck problems and just have to put up with it  :(

Hate will never win

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:44:47, 23/05/18 »
I have had neck problems since I was 35 and its still the same at 62,not better but thankfully no worse.Strangely,my neck settles down on a long walk and I have a feeling the pack acts as traction and opens up the joints.As April suggests,go to the GP and find out what is causing the problem and then work out a treatment (or rather management) plan.I found the Zen Physio massager to be very effective and five minutes use gives me a couple of pain free days.Despite the discomfort I have never taken pain killers.

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:20:27, 23/05/18 »
Yes the pain gradually goes away over about 2 hours it only hurts when I move in a certain way.  It starts after about 5 hours walking and gets worse as the day progresses.

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:32:59, 23/05/18 »
Yes the pain gradually goes away over about 2 hours it only hurts when I move in a certain way.  It starts after about 5 hours walking and gets worse as the day progresses.

If the pain goes after 2 hours after coming on after 5 hours walking and "when you move in a certain way" it is maybe a muscular or skeletal issue rather than something serious. I would be tempted to see a physiotherapist who I have found to be very good when I had back problems. They will probably give you exercises to do, which will hurt but if you do them, they will probably work. Via the NHS you will probably have a long wait but if you can afford £35 (ish) each for 2 or 3 sessions privately, it could sort you out quickly. I have found them to be very professional and if they cannot help they will say so.

They are very good at reading how you stand/move. It might be a posture issue.

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 02:17:58, 24/05/18 »

If the pain goes after 2 hours after coming on after 5 hours walking and "when you move in a certain way" it is maybe a muscular or skeletal issue rather than something serious. I would be tempted to see a physiotherapist who I have found to be very good when I had back problems. They will probably give you exercises to do, which will hurt but if you do them, they will probably work. Via the NHS you will probably have a long wait but if you can afford £35 (ish) each for 2 or 3 sessions privately, it could sort you out quickly. I have found them to be very professional and if they cannot help they will say so.

They are very good at reading how you stand/move. It might be a posture issue.
Yes I tend to agree you my friend does re medial massage going to ask her advice first.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 15:47:00, 24/05/18 »
I had problems with what I thought was my rucksack when we did the Pennine Way a couple of years ago.  We walked it over 20 days and it was only the last 4 or 5 days that I had a problem. My neck and right shoulder began hurting late morning and felt worse after resting for lunch.  I put it down to not having walked for so long before.  When we got home it eased off but then after a few days the top of my arm was hurting, and it got worse not better.  After a few weeks I saw my GP who referred me to the NHS physio.  They diagnosed tendinopathy of the shoulder, likely caused by wearing the rucksack for so long but also possibly using my walking poles so much, which I hadn’t considered! I went for several months and followed the exercises they gave me and gradually it cleared up.  When we walked Offas Dyke the following year it did come back a bit but I started doing the exercises again and was ok. I also eased off on using poles the whole time and used just when I really needed them.  I still don’t know which it was but I think probably a combination of having a ruck sack on every day for so many days AND overuse of poles.    And I started using the poles to help my knees!  >:(

Doddy

« Reply #9 on: 11:39:49, 12/06/18 »
On YouTube take a look at neck or nerve flossing that could help. I am not an expert.

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 16:48:13, 12/06/18 »
Neck and shoulder problems due to rucksacks are often caused by it pulling back and attempting to drag your shoulders back too. Packing your sack properly helps but the straps at the top of the shouder straps that when pulled bring the top of the sack closer to the top of your shoulders stop the sack from pulling backwards.
If you leave these straps loose the sack will jerk slightely tugging at your neck and shoulder muscles.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy