Author Topic: BBC4 - Iolo's Snowdonia  (Read 4950 times)

Mel

• Veteran Member
BBC4 - Iolo's Snowdonia
« on: 18:44:49, 22/05/18 »
Quick heads up to anyone who's not spotted it...

Starting tonight - a 30 minute x 4 part series where Iolo Williams explores Snowdonia.

Tuesdays. 7.30pm. BBC4

redeye

• Veteran Member
Re: BBC4 - Iolo's Snowdonia
« Reply #1 on: 20:18:08, 22/05/18 »
Well worth a watch. It was first shown on bbc Wales in January so a great chance for everyone to see it. It's also on catch up  O0

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:34:04, 22/05/18 »
Good spot Mel - I just watched it.. O0 I've set to record the rest

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 23:17:14, 22/05/18 »
Damn! I missed episode one when it was first screened, and now I've missed it again. I'll just have to wait until the next repeat.

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 07:35:55, 23/05/18 »
Damn! I missed episode one when it was first screened, and now I've missed it again. I'll just have to wait until the next repeat.
It's on catchup so you can see it anytime this week

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:19:26, 23/05/18 »
Agree with redeye.  If you click on my link above it now also shows the option to watch the programme on iplayer or whatever the beeb's version of catch up telly is!

I watched it last night when I got in - I really enjoyed the programme - there seemed to be a nice blend of scenery and interesting "stuff" about the area.  Iolo's not bad scenery either  :D  Glad I recorded it (not that I'd want to rub it in or anything mindst though fernman  :P  )

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:22:29, 23/05/18 »
I don't have catchup on the tv, rodents keep gnawing through the broadband cable for it* and it's a lot of hassle pulling a new cable through under the floorboards.
The link won't open for me, apart from which I hate sitting on an office chair for 30 minutes watching a programme on a computer monitor, so I'll wait for it to come round again, which usually isn't very long on BBC4..

*It's one drawback of living in a terrace house - once one gets them, everyone does.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:45:49, 25/05/18 »
The final episode is the most interesting and thought provoking.
One of my favourite locations for peace and quiet, are the Northern Carneddau.
Iolo traverses them in the full depths of Winter, sheltering in the Foel Grach shelter to eat his sandwiches.

He also takes a shine to the Rhinogs, and one of his walks almost passes my front door.

Ive met him twice, once whilst helping with the organisation of the 2014 Lake Vyrnwy half marathon, and the other was at the International Snowdon race in Llanberis some years ago.

One of the nicest people you would want to meet, very down to earth, and a real gent.

A real credit to Wales.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 00:09:47, 26/05/18 »

Fernman - hopefully you won't be waiting too long for a re-repeat of the repeat  :crazy2:

....Ive met him twice....

Is he as nice looking in real life and, more crucially, is he single?  :D

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:13:21, 26/05/18 »
He is taller than he actually looks, around 6ft 2in or 3in or there about's, very heavily built, obviously he does a lot of gym training, as he was carrying very little extra weight.
Unfortunately he has several children, and a doting wife, so the chances of a Welsh wedding look rather slim.

He is one of the friendliest tv personalities ive met, and another real charmer was Sir Anthony Hopkins.

My friend who lives just outside Caerphilly, had the opportunity to chat with Mr Hopkins when he was unveiling the statue to Tommy Cooper a few years ago.

None of those, i have not got the time for a complete stranger attitude,  really down to earth, and a man who certainly has not forgotten his welsh upbringing.

Signing autographs and chatting away to everyone.

He may have done exceptionally well in his later acting career, but he might as well still be living and working in Swansea, as he was ever such a pleasant personality.

Slightly off the subject, (sorry folks) a friend of ours here in North Wales, used to be be on senior checkin staff for Heathrow Airport around ten years ago.

Her number one charmer, was Sir David Niven.
« Last Edit: 17:19:22, 26/05/18 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

rambling minster

« Reply #10 on: 10:18:30, 29/05/18 »
I like Iolo, his programmes are very interesting and accessible and he doesn't appear to have the rampant ego of many nature presenters

I remember someone telling me that they had never heard a bad word said about David Niven

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 10:40:19, 29/05/18 »
I suppose when you have been behind the scenes at Heathrow Airports checkin, both for public and VIP clients, certain celebrities stand out for being the perfect gentleman.
According to my friend, who worked there for nearly thirty years, Sir David Niven was amongst the most polite and gracious people you would want to meet.

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 19:59:13, 29/05/18 »
Have a read of Niven's Biogs, "The moon's a Ballon" and "Bring on the empty horses" Very entertaining.. O0

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 20:06:36, 29/05/18 »
I watched the series first time around on Welsh TV, then re watched it. I like Iolo Williams, he comes across as a really good bloke, very knowledgeable and passionate. I thought he was a North Walien but he was actually born in Builth Wells, top bloke either way.
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 18:55:45, 30/05/18 »
... I like Iolo Williams, ...

Gerroff.  He's mine  :knuppel2:    :D

Watched the second episode last night and even recognised some places that I've walked  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy