Author Topic: What are the best walking routes to Scafell Pike with maps?  (Read 9391 times)

wildCAMPER

Hi all - it's been a very long time since I walked to Scafell Pike (only done it once) and I fancy doing it again to take some friends to Englands highest mountain. The walking route I done before was from Seathwaite/Borrowdale - the map is below. I'm also aware of the really quick route that I believe 3 peakers often do from Wasdale head? but not really keen on that one as I like a bit of variety in a walk - again map below).

Can any of you recommend any other routes to walk and include maps or give links to map routes? If the route includes a bit of scrambling thats totally fine too - just interested in what options there are to walk to Scafell Pike other than the 2 maps shown here.

I'm also interested in what are peoples favourite routes if you've tried a few of them? I think a lot of people seem to enjoy the route that i done from Seathwaite that takes in the corridor route? Cheers!

Glyno

• Veteran Member
You could try the route from Wasdale Head via Piers Gill (path on East side)

wildCAMPER

Thanks @Glyno - I'll look into Piers Gill -seems like there are multiple ways you can tackle Piers Gill? Got any good links?

Jac

• Veteran Member
From Wasdale Head Up via Mickledore and back via Piers Gill worked well for me :)
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Strider

• Veteran Member
One slight variation on your first route: there are two paths past Taylorgill Force, the bridleway via Stockley Bridge on the east side of the gill, and a path on the west side which requires you to clamber over some large boulders, its an easy scramble.  It's from here that you get the best view of the falls.
Not all those who wander are lost

wildCAMPER

Thanks for the tips :)

@Strider - Just had a friend who tackled your recommended route up past Taylorgill Force at the weekend - said it was good  O0

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
Some useful information here for me, as we're planning on doing Scafell Pike at the beginning of
July as part of doing the three peaks this year (Snowdon done in May). We walked the Rhyd-ddu path up Snowdon which was fine, so don’t mind an easy scramble.

wildCAMPER

@ruralroamer - you will have to let us know how you get on - and your favourite of the 3 peaks. Mine is Snowdon via Crib Goch - one of my best walks that one :-)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member

The Piers Gill path is a good way up from Wasdale; the normal tourist route up Brown Tongue to Mickledore is a trudge.

For the descent; why not make a round of it and carry on over Broad Crag on to Great End; then down to Esk Hause, then via Sprinkling Tarn and Sty Head for the return to Wasdale?

WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

wildCAMPER

Piers Gill sounds like a way to tackle Scafell Pike then - cheers!

richardh1905

• Veteran Member

I'm going to add a proviso about Piers Gill; please read the link below from Wasdale Mountain Rescue, as people have got themselves into difficulties on this route, I suspect usually when descending in poor weather:

http://www.wmrt.org.uk/advice/accident-black-spots/piers-gill-scafell-pike/

Having said that, I still recommend Piers Gill as an excellent way to ascend Scafell Pike. The so called 'bad step' is a short scrambly section where you do have to put hand to rock, but it is not hard, and I had no hesitation taking my daughter up when she was 14; she had no bother at all.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Skip

• Veteran Member
I've only just noticed this thread - sorry the reply is belated.

It's always worth looking at previous Walking Forum threads. Many common queries have already been answered.

Here's a thread titled "Scafell Pike - best route to the top?" which has plenty useful info:
http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=14052.0

A couple of brief observations on the Piers Gill route.

... I still recommend Piers Gill as an excellent way to ascend Scafell Pike.
Indeed it is. Dave and I walked up the path beside the gill on Sunday. We had the place to ourselves and were rewarded by some impressive views of the gill and its surroundings.
 A path runs along the south-east then the east side of the gill. The path is clearly marked on the OS 25K map (though not on the Harvey maps): on the ground for the most part there's an obvious trod which, despite the clag, we found very easy to follow.

... please read the link below from Wasdale Mountain Rescue ...

http://www.wmrt.org.uk/advice/accident-black-spots/piers-gill-scafell-pike/

Yes, that's well worth reading. Wasdale MRT's web site also has some interesting images and video of a training day in the depths of the gill - this shows why the gill itself (as opposed to the path above the gill) is a no-go for walkers.
http://www.wasdale-mountain-rescue.org.uk/training%20piers%20gill%20-%2011%20Mar%2007.htm

The so called 'bad step' is a short scrambly section ... it is not hard...
Yes, easy scrambling up a very obvious route, no exposure.
Skip

wildCAMPER

Cheers @Skip - useful stuff!

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
Off to the Lakes tomorrow til Friday, staying in Rosthwaite. We’ve decided to tackle Scafell Pike from Borrowdale and will probably go up via Esk Hause and back the corridor route. I would prefer the scramble up the bad step than down on the corridor route. Although a lot of blogs/reports I’ve read seem to go the other way, which do forum members prefer? I ‘ve had a problem with my hip so not managed to do a great deal of walking recently but last weekend did two 5 mile walks and yesterday 9 miles, though on the flat. We’ll probably do something like Catbells on Monday to get the hill legs and then aim for Scafell pike Tues or Weds. I’m going to have to rely on past experience.  The hip was ok, I think it might be the heat that would get to me first, boy it was hot yesterday when we finished. Uphill and heat combined I struggle with. So hoping it will be a bit cooler and we’re fully prepared to start really early and turn back if the heat or hip get to me!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Off to the Lakes tomorrow til Friday, staying in Rosthwaite. We’ve decided to tackle Scafell Pike from Borrowdale and will probably go up via Esk Hause and back the corridor route. I would prefer the scramble up the bad step than down on the corridor route. Although a lot of blogs/reports I’ve read seem to go the other way, which do forum members prefer? I ‘ve had a problem with my hip so not managed to do a great deal of walking recently but last weekend did two 5 mile walks and yesterday 9 miles, though on the flat. We’ll probably do something like Catbells on Monday to get the hill legs and then aim for Scafell pike Tues or Weds. I’m going to have to rely on past experience.  The hip was ok, I think it might be the heat that would get to me first, boy it was hot yesterday when we finished. Uphill and heat combined I struggle with. So hoping it will be a bit cooler and we’re fully prepared to start really early and turn back if the heat or hip get to me!

This trace may helpful, it’s a bit old as I recorded it in 2013 but I don’t suppose the mountains have moved much https://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=ynutgpvdkutpngfz
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy