Author Topic: Inscribed Stone near Lanercost.  (Read 1076 times)

bigbri

Inscribed Stone near Lanercost.
« on: 11:17:12, 23/05/18 »
Does anyone know if you can get to an inscribed stone near Lanercost at approx NY5407 6423?  It's on the OS map but from previous experience not always locateable  when you get there!!

Bri

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: Inscribed Stone near Lanercost.
« Reply #1 on: 16:58:05, 23/05/18 »
I can't help with whether or not it's actually accessible (or even there) but if I was walking the HWP I'd probably have a go at trying to find it.  Looks like it's (potentially) only a couple of hundred metres south from the path in a field.  A quick aerial view in Bing maps shows a patch of "pale" on what looks like a high point so it could be that (or the site of where it once was?).  There doesn't seem to be a noticeable path leading to it from any direction though.

My only concern would be the farm(?) to the west of it as it's probably their land I would be about to trespass on!

Interestingly, Historic England doesn't seem to have that particular one listed as a researchable item yet it has it marked on their map, albeit in a slightly different location (to the west of the farm rather than the east).

Oooh, this sort of treasure hunting is right up my street  O0

bigbri

« Reply #2 on: 17:27:47, 23/05/18 »
Brill Mel. Thanks for that info. We might be there tomorrow and will post the result!
Bri

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:32:08, 23/05/18 »
I have never noticed that on the map before! I have walked down that road dozens of times between Banks and Lanercost too but I've never looked for it, I will the next time I go there. Good luck, I hope you find it and it is worth the find  :)
Hate will never win

bigbri

« Reply #4 on: 19:53:23, 23/05/18 »
Thanks April, I am not confident of spotting it. But worth a look!
Bri

bigbri

« Reply #5 on: 15:06:34, 24/05/18 »
Miserable fail for us. Got to the likely field ok. But, it was full of cows with calves. Terri don't do cows so hope someone has better luck. But we will try from a different angle when we can.
Bri

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 15:53:28, 24/05/18 »
Is it this one? http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3588436

If so, I'm not surprised you couldn't find it, that one would tax the most ardent treasure hunter!
Not all those who wander are lost

bigbri

« Reply #7 on: 16:17:36, 24/05/18 »
Ruddy heck. Brilliant thank you. We walked past that building! That will be it alright. Might venture up another day to see if we can read it!
B and T

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:02:11, 24/05/18 »
Good find Strider  O0

Hope you get to find/see it next time you head that way bigbri  :)

bigbri

« Reply #9 on: 18:03:53, 24/05/18 »
Thanks Mel. Terri might have faced the cows for nothing!
B and T

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy