Author Topic: CHA memories, anybody?  (Read 26414 times)

Colin Rawles

Re: CHA memories, anybody?
« Reply #15 on: 12:27:50, 21/02/20 »
I was introduced to CHA and HF holidays by my now departed mother, May Rawles and enjoyed my first CHA holiday at Forestside and subsequent HF holiday at Derwent Bank in the mid 70's. I think my mother had shares in CHA or HF. She was also a walking leader and Hostess in the organisation. Playing the piano and organising Barn dancing etc. She was very adventurous and travelled in the UK and overseas in Austria and Switzerland at a time when few travelled to walk overseas.
I had some fabulous holidays at the these grand old houses. Have met many friends through the organisation. Met my first girlfriend during a holiday at Forestside.
My mother always said that after the 2nd world war there was a great rush to enjoy life, freedom and the great outdoors and CHA was at the forefront during this period, particularly in the Lake district when it became a National Park in 1951, through pressure from the various walking organisations.
I sometimes get mixed up over which houses were CHA or HF as the format was very similar. My favourite centres were Forestside Grasmere, Borrowdale, Derwent Bank, Hope and Arran. I loved the walking, the table tennis and it has left me with a life long love of hill walking and the outdoors.

Terry of Yorkshire

« Reply #16 on: 21:08:00, 12/03/20 »
Pauline13a, you would have loved the week CHA had in the 1990s, Start point was either Glaramara Borrowdale, Forest side Grasmere, Loughrigg brow Ambleside and Stanley Ghyll House Eskdale, while you did a local walk, then the moving day walk to the next house, but "Mountain Goat" collected your bags and took them onto next house, so you could walk Stanley Ghyll to Glaramara via Scafell but only needing to carry your day sack.

The story I heard about T.A. Leonard and CHA / HF story was, that he felt CHA was becoming to soft, so set up HF, which to us working at CHA in late 90s, considering that by then HF had mostly ensuite and only a few CHA had ensuite.

Anyone stayed at Loughrigg Brow remember seen the Badgers coming to dinner after the guests, had, had dinner, or having Rice Pudding as a extra Pudding, think Abbey House Whitby was the last One doing this.

I Remember One lady of the Scottish Country Dancing ( Leeds Branch) told me One night, "You know the difference between CHA and HF? and why you had to change companies", No I replied, "Well" she said with a twinkle in her eye, "CHA means Catch Husband Association, then once you have done that, you have to go on HF holidays, because Husband Found".

Surprised, at an address in Didsbury, because when Shearing bought the company, staff were offered jobs at Miry Lane Wigan and for a time an office as well, think after a couple of years, I believe the CHA got an office within Ramblers Association Head Office.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 08:48:43, 13/03/20 »
I Remember One lady of the Scottish Country Dancing ( Leeds Branch) told me One night, "You know the difference between CHA and HF? and why you had to change companies", No I replied, "Well" she said with a twinkle in her eye, "CHA means Catch Husband Association, then once you have done that, you have to go on HF holidays, because Husband Found".
I still don't know what most of these abbreviation stand for.  Has anyone put up a list.
There are 78 entries for CHA in the thefreedictionary.com, I don't think that it is the Caribbean Hotel Association.
HF has 85, shall I stick to Hip Fracture?
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 10:06:21, 13/03/20 »
I still don't know what most of these abbreviation stand for. 

Suggest you refer to the OP
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Terry of Yorkshire

« Reply #19 on: 22:35:20, 14/03/20 »
Suggest you refer to the OP
CHA was originally Cooperative Holiday Association  that changed to Countrywide Holiday Association
HF Holiday Fellowship
Please ignore what the current owner of Stanley Ghyll House has on her "History page", the CHA she writes about (before TA Leonard took it), is actually a Housing Company in London, although the rest home for rail workers also workers from Barrow in Furness Steel work for R&R is right, I was also told the story about at lower ground level, the owner borrowed some rail from the "Ratty", by the time, the Ratty found out track was missing and discovered it was at Stanley Ghyll, several layers of Stanley Ghyll had been built on top of the rails. As well as the Gentleman on the first page, there is a "History of CHA" 100 years ? book, which lists all the Houses maybe on eBay

WanderingAgnes

« Reply #20 on: 21:48:52, 31/05/20 »
I grew up on CHA and HF holidays too. I remember at least one holiday at Fowey, another at Grasmere (where I discovered a 'secret garden'), and others at Eskdale and Borrowdale. The evenings were always good fun, but as a kid I particularly loved the 'pick your own packed lunch' and afternoon tea at the weekends. As an older teen, my parents palmed me off on the outdoor pursuits course at Stanley Ghyll one year, whilst they went walking. Despite my initial protests, I had a fantastic time kayaking, climbing and gorge walking, amonst other things, and made some lifelong friends. I kept going back to those places in the Lakes for many years as an adult. Wish there was something similar now. Such a great way to travel solo, meet like-minded people and enjoy what The Lakes is really about.

Alain BAUDRU

Re:Agnes so pleased to read you
« Reply #21 on: 16:45:37, 01/06/20 »
Hello Agnes !
Yes a CHA holidays was very special. Wonderful places, fun, friends and especialy as we were young : boy/girl friends. Some of them friends during a long time. The hosts and hostesses took care of us and managed walks, entertainment at night and dancing. I learned there English and Scottish dances. It's a lot of emotion when arriving at Grasmere or Kinfauns, at 17 years old, with your heavy suitcase, just falling from the coach. Always a very warm welcome. Half people were of the same age and I discovered friday night parties. Today nothing very bad... Walks of all 3 levels were all wonderful. In fact (soon 73), I still regret this good (old) time and I'm surprised not to meet here more CHA holiday makers. Nowaday, I attended holidays with HF, but we are quit far from the atmosphere of the CHA. A lot of rather old people as the young ones have holidays abroad an not very often enjoy and know places where we went. In all these comments places like Borrowdale, Grasmere, Fowey... are missing to us. Hope you'll tell me where your "secret garden was at Grasmere. I was to visit Grasmere this year again and decided to spend a night and a meal at Forest Side 4 or 5 stars hotel. I know it's no more the same but I was so happy there. A lot of friend and lovely girlfriends so happy to meet a french boy. I enjoyed it even if it was funny for me who did not think to merit such an importance. All the best for you Agnes and tell me more about your CHA holidays...

WanderingAgnes

« Reply #22 on: 14:14:32, 05/06/20 »
Hello Alain.
Are you still going on HF holidays now? I didn't realise they were still running. I've just had a look and will have to join one in future.  O0 I think I need to visit the legendary location at Glen Coe that several people have mentioned here, and Monk Coniston too. I grew up on family holidays to CHA/HF/YHA as my parents were both keen walkers, which is how they met. I too have very fond memories of these, of the friendly people we met, the beautiful locations and the fun and games in the evenings. Maybe this is too 'old-fashoined' for people nowadays, but I'm sure there must be others out there who have these fond memories too. Holidays to typical tourist traps, lazing around on the beach in front of a twenty storey hotel, just aren't my thing!

Singing_Ginger

« Reply #23 on: 20:23:53, 08/07/20 »
I grew up on CHA and HF holidays too. I remember at least one holiday at Fowey, another at Grasmere (where I discovered a 'secret garden'), and others at Eskdale and Borrowdale. The evenings were always good fun, but as a kid I particularly loved the 'pick your own packed lunch' and afternoon tea at the weekends. As an older teen, my parents palmed me off on the outdoor pursuits course at Stanley Ghyll one year, whilst they went walking. Despite my initial protests, I had a fantastic time kayaking, climbing and gorge walking, amonst other things, and made some lifelong friends.
I took part in a couple of those outdoor pursuits weeks as a teen too. One at Stanley Ghyll in '83 and then Llanfairfechan in' 84. Both run by Pegasus I believe.
I'd been going to CHA since I was a baby. We alternated between Eskdale and Filey when I was small but got more adventurous over time. I have great memories of Christmas at both Kinfauns and Glaramara.

Ann Harris

« Reply #24 on: 12:52:22, 29/11/20 »
In 1963 me and my husband went walking in Scotland. We stayed at the CHA (then it was known as the Cooperative Holidays Association), this was at Onich in the Western Highlands. We had to travel overnight in a coach to Glasgow. We caught another coach from there at about 8.45 am which took us to Onich. Each day we went climbing different mountains. They had rules, one was you had to be in bed by 11pm. You had to have the correct footwear and clothing. One of the rules was LUNCH AND TEA RUCKSACKS - on excursion days the MEN are expected to share the responsibility of carrying the tea and lunch rucksacks.

windyrigg

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 08:53:49, 30/11/20 »
I hope the women washed up?  O0

Pauline13a

« Reply #26 on: 10:36:32, 30/11/20 »
Hello everyone, I’m enjoying these posts, bringing back lots of long-lost memories!
I’m still wondering if anyone can recall any of the schedules of walks - we went up Silver How a few weeks ago and I’m sure that was the Sunday walk from the Grasmere house when my parents were there for Christmas in 1984 - we drive up for the day to join them. Surely Loughrigg was the Sunday walk from Ambleside 🤔

Ian L

« Reply #27 on: 22:07:31, 13/12/20 »
I first had a CHA holiday in 1962, and until the late seventies HF and CHA were the principal choice From 1966 for 4 years I was a Res.Sec at various centres, Kinfauns. Ambleside and the short season lets at Aviemore.
I have the happiest memories of these times, and I enjoyed Frank Wright's sons comments. He had the most recognisable signature.,although it bore no relationship to his actual name.
It's sad that type of holiday has largely died and although HF still exists they have abandoned the word Fellowship as it is too "old fashioned" Perhaps this vital system can be resurrected in a form acceptable to our current sensibilities

Roger K

« Reply #28 on: 10:37:53, 03/01/21 »
I started going on CHA (Cooperative Holidays Association then Countrywide Holidays Association, often called "Catching Husbands Association" or similar, in 1958 visiting Barton on Sea: My Parents had met at the CHA in Westward Ho and my elder cousin was a "Secretary" for the CHA whilst at University so I was sort of caught up in that organisation. Indeed I went CHA for many years until 1995 (July at Porlock). I enjoyed UK and European holidays with the CHA and served on the General Committee (GC) of the CHA just before it finally ceased trading as an entity itself (it was "taken over" by Shearings). I also went away with the HF-Holiday Fellowship now officially called HF Holidays with the nickname of "Husbands Found". I served as both a "Host" and also as a "Secretary" (they collected the money and led the walks) and used to lecture for the HF as well as attending their AGM's regularly and, indeed, arranging one of their London ones. Indeed the understanding is that TA Leonard felt that the CHA had gone too soft and founded the HF. Whilst I was on the CHA GC we were discussing a amalgamation or merger with the HF, which I supported but, alas, David Parrott said that he would never be involved with a body who had Peter Brassey as their General Secretary and eventually the idea went away. CHA collapsed, from bad financial management a few years later.

HF, even today, is very similar to the old CHA and the thoughts and aims from TAL still exist. When this pandemic has gone may I suggest a visit to the HF website to see what they can offer. I am now 78 and my further than a mile walking days are over, but, hopefully, they will bring back their "Special Interest" or "Activity Holidays" again.

Dean108

« Reply #29 on: 03:50:14, 18/01/21 »
Hello, did anyone go to Baron Chase at Barton on Sea. I used to work for the CHA there in the late 1980’s and would love to find old photos of the place. It was an incredible building but is no longer around, alas. Cheers Dean

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy