Author Topic: 23rd 24th may Green Rd to Lorton days five and six  (Read 867 times)

karl h

• Veteran Member

Waking up to blue sky everyday was very un lake district like but very welcome. Today I walked the high ground from Borrowdale to Buttermere visiting a few familiar tops and one new top.

King's How and Grange Fell across the valley.

Looking over to Great Crag with the central ridge and Ullscarf behind from the steep path up to Rigghead Quarries.

The path levels out a little as you approach the Quarries..

But there is this steep stone staircase to climb before you reach the open fell.

Dale Head from the top of the quarry..

The morning was already very warm so I had a break in the shade of the sheepfold by Dalehead Tarn.

On to Dale Head now and one of the best views from one of the best cairns in the Lakes.

Buttermere and the ridge walked yesterday from Hindscarth Edge.

I walked out to the lower cairn on Hindscarth which has a better view of Newlands and Skiddaw.
 A real jumble of fell tops looking south from Robinson.

The good weather has meant that normally very boggy areas like Buttermere Moss were very dry.

On to High Snockrigg, my first (and only ) new top for the day. I spent quite a while here sat in the sun admiring the views. Rannerdale Knotts is the fell below with Mellbreak beyond Crummock water and the Loweswater fells to the right of Loweswater. 

Wide view of Buttermere from High Snockrigg.

Part of my route for tomorrow, climbing along the valley of Sail Beck then ascending the Addacomb ridge on the left.

On the steep path down now looking across to Floutern Pass with Floutern Kop at the head. I was soon at the hostel after another wonderful day

My last day started slightly earlier than usual as to make my connections I had to be at the bust stop near Lorton before two thirty. Today I would ticking another route off my list and bagging three new Birkett tops.

The route I was ticking off was the climb of the Addacomb ridge past Addacomb Hole up to Wandope. My route took me into the valley of Sail Beck.

Looking back to Red Pike and High Stile from the path along the valley.

The path turns into the side valley of an unnamed gill. Whiteless Pike is the fell ahead..

The ridge I'm heading for comes into sight ( the green hillside before the dark crags ).

But before then the path takes another turn this time into the valley of Third Gill.

Third Gill is only followed for a short way before the path climbs across the hillside. Causey Pike appears in the distance.

Looking up the ridge..

Addacomb Hole from the climb

View back down.

And the view up.

Crag Fell across Addacomb Hole.

Knott Rigg above the valley with Robinson and High Snockrigg beyond.

On to Wandope now.

Dropping down to Coledale Hause. It was around here I gained a few followers as a big cloud of flies joined me on the walk, I tried running but they flew faster than I could run. Luckily they didn't bite  just buzzed around me and as I have walked with April and Beefy  I'm used to annoying pests  :D

And a look back to Eel Crag from the climb over Sand Hill to Hopegill Head

From Hopegill Head its down the slabs to Ladyside Pike.

The Whiteside ridge from the climb down.

This photo makes the descent look very tricky but in the dry Its not too bad. There is a path but as the rock was dry and very grippy I walked down the slabs keeping as near to the edge as I dared.

Hopegill Head from Ladyside Pike.

and again from Swinside but with added Ladyside Pike.

Lorton Dodd my penultimate Birkett top ( not counting Pillar Rock ) I headed down the steep slope through the heather.

In the valley of Hope Gill..

Climbing up the slate gully which leads very nearly to the top of  Dodd

Great view from Dodd to Ladyside Pike and Hopegill Head. There looks to be a clear path to the Whiteside ridge.

The vale of Lorton from Dodd . I had an hour to get to the bus stop so my timing had not been bad..

Following Cold Gill down.

Nearly back to Miller Place and the road. The Low fell group on the right with Carling Knott above Holme wood in the centre and Hencomb and Mellbreak to the left. The bus had broken down on the climb over Honister Pass ( and broke down again at Whinlatter) so I had plenty of time to spare
My routes were -  23rd -  Borrowdale YH - Johnny Wood - Rigghead Quarries - Dalehead Tarn - Dale Head - Hindscarth - Robinson - High Snockrigg - Buttermere YH    ( about 8 miles 3900 ft ascent )

24th -Buttermere YH - Grassgarth Coppice - Bleak Rigg - Third Gill - Addacomb Ridge - Wandope - Sand Hill - Hopegill Head - Ladyside Pike - Swinside - Hope Gill - Dodd (Lorton) Miller Place ( about 8.5 miles 4600 ft ascent )

« Last Edit: 18:48:49, 07/06/18 by karl h »

April

• Veteran Member
Re: 23rd 24th may Green Rd to Lorton days five and six
« Reply #1 on: 19:26:54, 07/06/18 »
Great pics again Karl  O0

We are annoying pests are we?  :tickedoff:  ;D

There is a path up to the Whiteside ridge from Dodd, I did it several times before I plucked up the courage to go up Whin Ben  :)

The Buttermere bus broke down?  :o  :o Normal service then  ;)

You can tell none of the LDNP planning people with the grand falutin' plans they have for the future and visitors leaving their cars behind to use public transport to get around the LD, actually have any experience using it. At the moment there no trains running from Oxenholme to Windermere! If the planners want people to ditch their cars they will need to vastly improve the network of buses and reliability for those who want to do day walks on the fells.
Hate will never win

Brandywell

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:24:23, 07/06/18 »
Great pics and TR Karl, the view from High Snockrigg is a gem and the Addacomb Ridge is a classic ascent.  O0
Watch where you are putting your feet : AW

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:38:39, 07/06/18 »
Great photos, the weather looks stunning  O0

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:40:07, 07/06/18 »
Lovely photos Karl O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:16:26, 11/06/18 »
Thanks everyone O0
@ Brandywell I have had that Addacomb ridge route in mind for some time but your timely update on your site sealed the deal O0

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:37:53, 11/06/18 »
Great great pics  O0
Do you have to go on massive hikes just to escape A and B?  :-\
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:56:05, 11/06/18 »
Great great pics  O0 

Cheers O0
Do you have to go on massive hikes just to escape A and B?  :-\
No but it helps..although there is no real way to escape A and B...if they want to find you they will :knuppel2:

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 22:04:15, 11/06/18 »
there is no real way to escape A and B...if they want to find you they will :knuppel2:

;D

So you must have worked out when we meet you "accidentally" it has been planned  >:D
Hate will never win

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 22:06:53, 11/06/18 »
;D

So you must have worked out when we meet you "accidentally" it has been planned  >:D

I did wonder..are you still chasing me for that 2p of gas that I borrowed. At your extortionate rates of interest i must owe you thousands ;D

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 09:02:27, 12/06/18 »
Fantastic stuff - have thoroughly enjoyed all the reports from this trip and the beautiful photos too (needless to say)!  O0

That descent from Hopegill Head can be a real nightmare when the rock is wet. We ended up shuffling down on our bums last time I was there and we still slipped a couple of times.

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 18:55:31, 13/06/18 »
Fantastic stuff - have thoroughly enjoyed all the reports from this trip and the beautiful photos too (needless to say)!  O0

Thank you adalard O0  I'm glad you enjoyed reading about my walk as much as I enjoyed walking it ;)

The only problem is I have only been back at work two weeks and I want to go and do it again  ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy