Author Topic: More idiots on the hills  (Read 3884 times)

vghikers

• Veteran Member
Re: More idiots on the hills
« Reply #15 on: 16:23:08, 11/02/20 »
...the majority of call outs, are for very minor emergencies, where the walkers are simply lost, or do not know where they are on a mountain, ...

I keep saying I'll become a subscribing member of the MRT but then I constantly read reports like the above and it puts me off!.

It's interesting how so many commentators immediately jump on the 'wearing trainers' aspect. Don't knock trainers!. I've heard of winter fell warriors wearing Walsh PBs and they are fine (but very experienced of course).

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 17:33:40, 11/02/20 »
Trainers are fine, in the warmer Summer months, but blimey, this is the summit of Britains highest mountain, in the depths of full Scottish winter conditions.

You have to be very fit and fully confident in your abilities to wear walshes in the depth of Winter.

Mike Cudahy, the famous Ultra Runner wore them in full winter conditions, whilst training for his sub 3 Pennine Way record in the Scottish highlands, but that was during his 200 miles a week training schedules.
If you wear footwear that offer little insulation for your feet in damp extreme cold conditions, then you have to be extremely fit and be able to self rescue yourself if things go pearshape.

Calling out the Mountain rescue, would be extremely irresponsible, especially when the sensible person would take all the necessary precautions in such dangerous conditions.

Ive only been to the summit of Ben Nevis once, in late October, but in very mild perfectly clear conditions, and with little wind.

It was incredible weather, the kind of weather a walker can only dream about so late in the year

There was no snow on the summit plateau, but without realising just how cold conditions are on the highest point in the Uk, i took off my gloves for a photo selfie of myself at the trig point.

It took the best part of ten minutes for my hands to regain any warth or circulation.

My Camelbak Cloudbreaker rucsac, was full of the necessary precautions, just incase i lost my way, or got into difficulties, but thankfully i never had to open it.

At a pinch, you can take liberties with lesser mountains, but trainers in heavy deep snow, will get wet very quickly, and at 4400ft above sea level in full winter conditions

UTTER LUNACY, and they expect people to risk their own safety to go to their rescue
« Last Edit: 17:48:16, 11/02/20 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 17:51:04, 11/02/20 »
Well you have maybe described 90% of the Spine runners.

It's the definition of "trainers" which may be misleading. There are many fully experienced winter hill walkers who wear what might in a throw away comment be called trainers when in fact their footwear is not the fashion branded named footwear beloved on the SD or JDS sale shelves but well made and fit for purpose walking shoes.
What bothered me was the lack of other necessary equipment.
Too little, too late, too bad......

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 20:09:11, 11/02/20 »
 A lot of cheap trainers have got excellent grip on ice.Thirty years ago I used to run home from the pub on icy roads wearing standard trainers and never fell over.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 20:16:09, 11/02/20 »
More details & pictures (sorry it is the Mail)

The suspected Glasgow-based students became trapped by the 4,413ft-high summit during Storm Ciara
All four were poorly-equipped, with no ice axes, crampons, or even maps on them, and wearing trainers
They even got separated during the storm, and would probably not have made it through the night
When all hope seemed lost, 22 volunteers from Lochaber Mountain Rescue Team stormed to their rescue
After a long rescue operation during the 80mph blizzard, they were transferred to hospital in Fort William
John Stevenson, leader of the rescue team, called them a 'bunch of idiots' who are 'lucky to be alive'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7990811/Four-idiots-rescued-Ben-Nevis-80mph-blizzard-scaling-mountain-TRAINERS.html

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 22:05:24, 11/02/20 »
John Stevenson is right.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 22:50:20, 11/02/20 »
I try to be understanding about these types of incidents, I'm sure we've all done some stupid things in our time, but this is just unbelievably irresponsible.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 08:14:21, 12/02/20 »

Lochaber MRT has posted on Facebook, they are against people being forced to get insurance for this. They say the people were not UK nationals and were unaware of where to find mountain weather info. It was also shown the level of their appreciation with a bottle of scotch, 2 wine, 2 chocolate, a card and 200 euro. Unprompted which is better than most UK nationals by their account.

myxpyr

« Reply #23 on: 08:37:14, 12/02/20 »
Lochaber MRT has posted on Facebook, they are against people being forced to get insurance for this. They say the people were not UK nationals and were unaware of where to find mountain weather info. It was also shown the level of their appreciation with a bottle of scotch, 2 wine, 2 chocolate, a card and 200 euro. Unprompted which is better than most UK nationals by their account.
And somewhat better than many of the ignorant, vitriolic comments from Daily Mail readers. As I mentioned earlier(and I admit part of my comment was made in haste) I do a bit of helping out with a team and I know that, whilst some do take callouts and rescues for granted, many others are greatly appreciative of the work done by MRTs and make substantial donations to the funds.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 09:27:28, 12/02/20 »
They say the people were not UK nationals and were unaware of where to find mountain weather info.
Not really an excuse these days as they could Google in their own language and even use Google translate to get a better understanding of the weather report.They are afterall university students rather than tourists who can barely speak a word of English.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 13:06:30, 12/02/20 »
I've read the full facebook comment from Lochaber MRT - it is very well balanced, and they specifically ask that the people involved are cut some slack.  They also make the point that much of the information available is aimed at people who are experienced in the mountains, and consideration should be given to how this becomes more targeted at casual tourists/one off visitors.  Thinking about it, perhaps the media attention that this has raised might be an education for many others.

Patrick1

« Reply #26 on: 13:25:15, 12/02/20 »
Not really an excuse these days as they could Google in their own language and even use Google translate to get a better understanding of the weather report.
A bit harsh, I'd have said. The point is, you have to know there's a specific mountain weather report to think about looking for it. Like it or not, Ben Nevis is something of a tourist attraction. I think its quite possible for some reasonably fit university students to decide to - and manage to - walk to the top with little appreciation that the weather at the top would be particularly different from that at the bottom, let alone that they could look at specific weather forecasts for mountain conditions. I wouldn't be too harsh on these folk - we all make mistakes, and hopefully live to learn from them.

myxpyr

« Reply #27 on: 15:00:43, 12/02/20 »
I think this whole saga is partly due to the misconception that inexperienced people have about our British mountains. Certainly, compared to those in the bigger ranges, they look small and easily accessible. I think a prime example is Tryfan in Snowdonia. To the inexperienced tourist viewing it from the comfort of a car travelling along the A5 it looks as if the summit is easily attainable with nothing more than perhaps a short strenuous walk. As I'm sure we all know the reality is so different especially with unpredictable weather changes thrown into the equation.
I think the important thing to remember about British mountains is "Small and dangerous"

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 15:44:34, 12/02/20 »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-51473800..Following Monday's incident, they have sent the team a donation along with gifts of whisky, wine and chocolates..Responding to calls on social media for people to take out insurance before heading into Scotland's hills, or for people to be charged for being rescued, the team said such measures would be unworkable.
« Last Edit: 15:47:53, 12/02/20 by GinAndPlatonic »
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

myxpyr

« Reply #29 on: 16:02:27, 12/02/20 »
A good, measured response from the Lochaber team

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy