Author Topic: Ringworm/jock itcch  (Read 1795 times)

sherpaboy

Ringworm/jock itcch
« on: 23:02:19, 01/12/18 »
Recently had to go to docs for above infection. Doc diagnosed it but says it is not a "worm" but something similer to athlets foot infection. Though i do not walk vast distances, usually about 5 miles a day, i have a shower every day. Does anyone have thoughts on treatment for this. He did prescribe some cream, but i would prefer something i can buy over the counter. Thank you.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
Re: Ringworm/jock itcch
« Reply #1 on: 23:42:07, 01/12/18 »
 Hydromol.Elderly people often suffer from this condition on a regular basis.Hydromol generally clears it up in a couple of days.What was the name of the cream the doc prescribed?

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:03:21, 02/12/18 »
How long has your doctor been studying medicine?

How long has the random strangers on the internet been studying medicine?

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:27:30, 02/12/18 »
Speaking as a random stranger but as one who has suffered this problem myself, your local pharmacy will probably sell cream called Clotrimazole. If not, they will be able to suggest an alternative, probably Canesten.

Moisture is the enemy. You need to make sure you are thoroughly dry after showering. I used to make sure I dried my "nether regions" first, whilst the towel was at its driest. In fact I still do. I also used to blow the area thoroughly dry with a hair drier, set on cool, before putting on the cream. From memory, you need to use the cream for a couple of weeks, twice a day to kill the infection off. I believe it is a form of yeast.

Depending on its extent, it can be helpful to remove pubic hair and clean underwear every day is obvious.

It is a horrible thing and I reached the point after an energetic hike where I was actually bleeding from the area!

Hope this helps.

Maggot

« Reply #4 on: 10:42:08, 02/12/18 »
Where is the infection?

Foot, groin, underarm or bottom?

Why is the word a..n..u..s.. censored?

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 10:47:07, 02/12/18 »
How long has your doctor been studying medicine?

How long has the random strangers on the internet been studying medicine?
To be honest with this problem the first person to consult is a pharmacist as they can often supply something to clear the condition up.If this dosen't work see a doctor.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:22:36, 02/12/18 »
It's a fungal infection that is a nuisance for anyone but more so for walkers.
You can buy a tube of ointment called Daktarin over the counter in a pharmacy for £4.
Rub it in morning and evening for at least a week and things will return to normal.
Your GP will probably prescribe a similar treatment that has the same active ingredient plus hydrocortisone. The latter addition relieves any redness / soreness / swelling, but it limits treatment to 7 days maximum.
Unfortunately, once you've had the condition you never seem to be completely rid of it, it comes back every 3 months or so.

sherpaboy

« Reply #7 on: 11:30:16, 02/12/18 »
Thanks for replies. Whent  pharmacy today and he recomended caneston. Did not want to keep bothering a doctor for something trivial.   He gave me the cream last time and it cleared. Mostly round groin. Just wondered who else has had this problem an what they had done about it. Thank you. O0

Sleepy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 17:06:31, 02/12/18 »
Dactarin also comes in an aerosol (powder). I used it for athletes foot but just thinking it may be a handy way of getting it to where it needs to be  ;)  if you choose to go that route that is.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:54:14, 02/12/18 »
Had it loads of times from judo and jiu jitsu.

Best OTC product is Lamasil and then use any athlete's foot powder to keep it dry too.

There's plenty of ringworm resistant to Canestan now.

Be careful with hydrocortisone as it can hide it and you think it's gone when it hasn't

Don't have long baths. Ideally just quick showers. Keep your own towels seperate and wash sheets etc until you've been treating it for a week. It spreads very easily to family members

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:02:43, 02/12/18 »
Dactarin also comes in an aerosol (powder). I used it for athletes foot but just thinking it may be a handy way of getting it to where it needs to be  ;)  if you choose to go that route that is.

You could end up with frozen assets if you're not careful  ::)
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy