Author Topic: I wonder?  (Read 863 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
I wonder?
« on: 11:34:32, 16/02/21 »
I'm beginning to think that prices of hiking gear and equipment will go up soon, or could I be very wrong?

If lockdown eases and if we and others have the urge to get outside more in 2021 will prices go up?

I have been thinking of buying a few items including a waterproof lightweight jacket, to complement my poncho (which is now up from £30 to £40) and I started to look at the Alpkit Gravitas, now up to £160, I have started to think more about this and more importantly should I buy now or wait a while?

This also raises another matter in my head. As I look at different waterproof lightweight jackets I notice that the choice available to me, in all price ranges it seems is bewildering.

I'd be very interested if you have views about whether prices generally will rise soon or not?

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: I wonder?
« Reply #1 on: 12:27:00, 16/02/21 »

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:36:06, 16/02/21 »
Yes, I think that prices will continue to rise, and probably quite considerably.

Demand for exercise clothing and equipment has already been exceptionally high over the past year and I doubt that it will drop anytime soon.

Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:14:19, 16/02/21 »
Prices always edge up, of course.

But I actually think in long term more people wanting to buy walking kit will slow price increases rather than accelerate them...there’s bound to be a short term increase before industry gears up for extra production, but bigger sales ultimately allow fixed costs to be spread more thinly.

Alpkit Gravitas gets good reviews...but perhaps unfairly it strikes me as a running jacket rather than a walking jacket, and I tend to be sceptical about need for expensive running jackets...running generates so much heat relatively little need for any jacket.

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:30:10, 16/02/21 »
[quote author=pauldawes link=topic=41644.msg604099#msg604099 date=1613481259

Alpkit Gravitas gets good reviews...but perhaps unfairly it strikes me as a running jacket rather than a walking jacket, and I tend to be sceptical about need for expensive running jackets...running generates so much heat relatively little need for any jacket.

A coach at the running club I used to belong to had a saying “ if you are feeling cold you are not working hard enough”
It's all uphill from here.

Little Foot

« Reply #5 on: 14:33:22, 16/02/21 »
Hopefully people will want to spend their holidays abroad rather than here, once things ease, so I'm hoping prices go down.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 15:04:20, 16/02/21 »
The only way is up, I'm afraid.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 15:20:13, 16/02/21 »

By coincidence, yesterday I watched a video review for the Ronhill / Mountain Equipment Gore-Tex Jacket. It was on a Youtube Channel I follow called Run4Adventure. Perhaps sceptics who take a look might be persuaded that trail runners have as much need for waterproof and breathable jackets as do walkers.  ;)

Anyway, the Ronhill / Mountain Equipment jacket costs a hefty £230 (rrp). It packs down to a size that would easily fit a backpack bottle pocket but, as I think is also true with the Gravitas, it only has a chest pocket and no others. So I think it'd be great for running in, but not entirely suitable for hiking.

Perhaps this is a subject for another topic, but I must at least point out here that long-distance trail runners often work just as hard (and therefore generate just as much heat) walking up steep inclines as they do running on the flat or downhill!  :)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 15:49:09, 16/02/21 »
Perhaps this is a subject for another topic, but I must at least point out here that long-distance trail runners often work just as hard (and therefore generate just as much heat) walking up steep inclines as they do running on the flat or downhill!  :)

Possibly more so.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:26:52, 16/02/21 »
I've tried a couple of running jackets in shops ( Go Outdoors and Black's), but found they didn't cover enough of my backside as they are just not long enough, for me at least.

Too little, too late, too bad......

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 16:28:50, 17/02/21 »
Your certainly not wrong there.

I was just open mouthed, looking at the price of Buffalo gear, i certainly hope there is no further price increase, the market would not be able to cope.

Back in 1987, i invested in one of their rather nice long parka winter coats, cost me £64, serious money back then, and because its made from Pertex 5, the material is delicate.

It was new to the Buffalo range, and i just had to have one, and because it was so new, it came direct from Buffalo themselves, as nobody yet had them in stock.

It was being tested in Trail magazine, and it looked seriously cosy, full length parka coat, pile lined from collar to the hem.

I can remember the very long full length zip, becoming snagged, and tore a rather large hole down the front.

It was returned to their factory, and on recollection, it cost only £20 for a full repair, those certainly were the days

Browsing through the website of Crib Goch Sports in llanberis, that parka now retails for nearly £300.  WOW that's a healthy markup for the same item, same design.

The humble windshirt, i own two of them, £106 a throw, and back in 1985 they were £22 each, and their Special 6 Mountain shirt, even bigger bucks.

I think i paid in the region of £60 or so for that, which at the time, i thought was rather a lot, but their very well made, and last and last.

I know we are now in 2021,and 1987 is donkeys years ago, but a few quid shy of £300,  that's pretty tasty.

I suppose its all down to the acceptability of the brand, as back in 1985, Buffalo was still an emerging company, with few converts.

I just was blown away at just how expensive certain gear has become.
« Last Edit: 17:01:02, 17/02/21 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy