Author Topic: Two more Co durham walks  (Read 1802 times)

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
Two more Co durham walks
« on: 12:43:35, 01/07/08 »
Just catching up after my phone line crash (still not really working properly)
These two walks represent my final two guided walks as a steward for Durham County Council. I've decided its time to refocus my walking activities a bit - and, to be fair, I keep repeating the walks....
So these are my last two.
The first was another starting at causey Arch, but thisd time taking in a section of an old railway line which runs towards Sunderland (part of the CtoC cycle route) - and a new nature reserve and a bit more old railway line - this time passing some sculptures of cattle made out of scrapped JCBs. They are very realistic in foggy conditions and will scare anybody who's fearty about cows.
Ten miles and 18 or so "punters"
The second one started at Spennymoor leisure centre - an unlikely place to start a walk, you might think. The same number of punters as the previous walk - and we went to ferryhill (another unlikely walking spot) - and to Hett - a village around a green. There were lots of meadows and flowers on this one - quite good for an early summer day. We also passed along Butchers race. Scots may wish to avoid their gaze for the next bit - but the place got its name because there was a 14th century Scots/English skirmish here, a couple of hours  before the main show at Nevilles Cross - and the Scots were chased along this road and...er... well.... butchered....
As there were a couple of Scots in the group, we didnt dwell on this, though.
Another 8 miles.  And its my last one...
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

garyr

• Veteran Member
Re: Two more Co durham walks
« Reply #1 on: 12:14:17, 02/07/08 »
Mike - looks like a couple of nice walks, never explored that part of the county, prefer the more remoter parts!
Gary

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy