Author Topic: Devon/Cornwall coastal path  (Read 909 times)

Sean123

Devon/Cornwall coastal path
« on: 19:45:57, 22/10/20 »
Hi

I wanted to ask if anyone can help. My friend and I are hoping to walk the entire Devon/Cornwall coastal path. It’s going to take us a while as we’ll only be walking it a few days every month.

I wasn’t sure if anyone knew of an app or website were we can log each walk, so we can keep track of which parts we’ve walked And view All our individual walks it on a larger map of the coastal path.. I hope that made sense!!

Thank you!!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Devon/Cornwall coastal path
« Reply #1 on: 19:56:16, 22/10/20 »
ViewRanger will enable you to both plot and follow a route and to record your track.  Each walk can be exported as a gpx file.  The OS app will also let you record record a track but not to follow a route and record a track at the same time.  Neither app will let you view multiple tracks on a map but multiple gpx files can be viewed in GoogleEarth.
If you are using a gps unit, Garmin's Basecamp will let you see multiple routes and tracks.
Solvitur Ambulando

Sean123

« Reply #2 on: 20:25:15, 22/10/20 »
That’s great. Many thanks

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:19:39, 23/10/20 »
As it was before smart phones and apps I simply recorded our progress, sites of wild camps and interesting things (ice cream/beer/pasties/wildlife, that sort of thing) writing directly on the map in the sea.
Did the same for the Pembrokeshire coast path.

I now use Viewranger - good but not the same as having permanent souvenir of a fabulous walk.

Recommend doing both.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

cornwallcoastpathdweller

« Reply #4 on: 09:31:08, 23/10/20 »
As it was before smart phones and apps I simply recorded our progress, sites of wild camps and interesting things (ice cream/beer/pasties/wildlife, that sort of thing) writing directly on the map in the sea.
Did the same for the Pembrokeshire coast path.

I now use Viewranger - good but not the same as having permanent souvenir of a fabulous walk.

Recommend doing both.

I did exactly the same thing when i first walked the path, coloured the bits of coast in on a map covering the area as i completed them.  Also added notes to the four National Trail guides i used, time taken, weather etc.  Quite nice to look back through them, im a sucker for a nice book.
one step then another then another then a bench - please?

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 10:57:24, 23/10/20 »
Another who uses a printed map to record a memento of progress on coast path walks, together with my wife.  This map hangs in our utility room above our walking boots. As you can see we still have much to do.

I find The OS phone App handy on occasion.  But the level of detail rerecorded by such Apps is far more than I personally will ever wish to recall for most walks.  I find a few photos, a one liner in a log and this map serve as a far more friendly reminder of our SWCP walks.

The map is available here should any one want one.

https://mapgraphics.co.uk/product/devon-and-cornwall-county-map/

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 12:28:12, 23/10/20 »
Mine is all digital and can be zoomed or scrolled.  Clicking on any trace will show the details (Date, distance, height gain, average speed etc).  Here is just a section from Porlock to Woody Bay.  I can call up an OS map backrgound but the traces are clearer without.  I think this is the sort of thing the OP was looking for.
Solvitur Ambulando

Sean123

« Reply #7 on: 13:05:49, 23/10/20 »
Thanks for the link to the large map. that's great, I really appreciate that. I wanted the app just so I can get the exact location of setting off and finishing points, however I would have preferred a larger map and complete the walks in pen and join them up with other walks over time. I struggled to find one big enough but this ideal, I'll order one now!

Sean123

« Reply #8 on: 13:06:01, 23/10/20 »
That's great, I really appreciate that. I wanted the app just so I can get the exact location of setting off and finishing points, however I would have preferred a larger map and complete the walks in pen and join them up with other walks over time. I struggled to find one big enough but this ideal, I'll order one now!  
[nofollow]

I find The OS phone App handy on occasion.  But the level of detail rerecorded by such Apps is far more than I personally will ever wish to recall for most walks.  I find a few photos, a one liner in a log and this map serve as a far more friendly reminder of our SWCP walks.

The map is available here should any one want one.

https://mapgraphics.co.uk/product/devon-and-cornwall-county-map/ [nofollow]

Sean123

« Reply #9 on: 13:08:47, 23/10/20 »
Thankyou for this, I'm really sorry I'm a bit of a technofob so sorry for stupid questions!

I've just downloaded the app and noticed you can record a route, can you view multiple routes you have completed over the same map or are they all individually shown on the map?? Thanks again for your help!

Mine is all digital and can be zoomed or scrolled.  Clicking on any trace will show the details (Date, distance, height gain, average speed etc).  Here is just a section from Porlock to Woody Bay.  I can call up an OS map backrgound but the traces are clearer without.  I think this is the sort of thing the OP was looking for.
[nofollow]

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 13:09:38, 23/10/20 »
Thanks for the link to the large map. that's great, I really appreciate that. I wanted the app just so I can get the exact location of setting off and finishing points, however I would have preferred a larger map and complete the walks in pen and join them up with other walks over time. I struggled to find one big enough but this ideal, I'll order one now!
ViewRanger can link to photographs taken.  You get a little camera icon at the point on the trace where picture was taken and clicking on it will bring the image up.
Solvitur Ambulando

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 13:12:50, 23/10/20 »
Thankyou for this, I'm really sorry I'm a bit of a technofob so sorry for stupid questions!

I've just downloaded the app and noticed you can record a route, can you view multiple routes you have completed over the same map or are they all individually shown on the map?? Thanks again for your help!
What app are we talking about Sean?
Solvitur Ambulando

Sean123

« Reply #12 on: 13:19:28, 23/10/20 »
Sorry, the OSMaps app that was mentioned?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 13:38:09, 23/10/20 »
Sorry, the OSMaps app that was mentioned?
As I said the OS app can either record a track or follow a planned route but not both at the same time.  Any track you record can be saved in the app and be seen on the map on the associated OS website under the My Routes tab.  While you can see a list of all your tracks, you can only view one track at a time on the map in the app or website.  ViewRanger can record a track while following a route but again. you can only view one track at a time.  The screenshot I posted was from Garmin's BaseCamp.  Gps traces can be imported into this app and as you can see, it can show multiple tracks.
Solvitur Ambulando

Sean123

« Reply #14 on: 13:55:35, 23/10/20 »
Perfect, I understand! I'll look into the Garmin Basecamp site ... I really appreciate your help.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy