Author Topic: Spring just around the corner?  (Read 4138 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Spring just around the corner?
« on: 16:13:34, 05/02/19 »

The snowdrops have been out since late January, I've spotted several Lesser Celandines in flower on the Orkney clifftops, and today I saw and heard skylarks singing their hearts out.

Love this time of year; the nights are getting longer, and although we will probably still get some foul weather, spring is just around the corner and the year seems so full of promise.  :)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Skip

• Veteran Member
Re: Spring just around the corner?
« Reply #1 on: 18:29:28, 05/02/19 »
Hear hear to your optimism!  :)
I walked home on a local bridleway this afternoon and there were lambs in nearly every field.
Skip

FTSTTLB

« Reply #2 on: 19:03:03, 05/02/19 »
I do admire the optimism as well. Still very cold, grey, windy and rainy in Belgium.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:11:16, 05/02/19 »
Our snow drops are looking a bit battered but I did think only this morning as I got in the car to drive to work that it wasn't actually 'night' so the days are starting to feel longer.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:32:10, 05/02/19 »
Love this time of year; the nights are getting longer, and although we will probably still get some foul weather, spring is just around the corner and the year seems so full of promise.  :)

:) Aye, bring on Spring and some wild camping  O0
Hate will never win

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:31:06, 05/02/19 »
I hope I see signs of spring tomorrow, will be thrilled to see lambs, but not so much the mud around Great Witley , in the Malvern hills .
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

staggerindragon

« Reply #6 on: 03:49:10, 06/02/19 »
Ohhhh . . . flowery pictures please.  I need to believe.  Give something to go on for the next week.  ;)

Image may contain: sky, tree, cloud, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: people smiling, one or more people, closeup and outdoor

astaman

« Reply #7 on: 07:21:20, 06/02/19 »
Even in Shetland there are green shoots visible here and there. Snowdrops and some early daffodils and, as Richard says, the of the indestructible celandines. Only shoots mind so I'm keeping a lid on the optimism.

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 07:50:44, 06/02/19 »
. . . flowery pictures please...

Image may contain: people smiling, one or more people, closeup and outdoor
Wow!  What a hairstyle  ;)
Skip

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 09:51:38, 06/02/19 »
Yes, we've noticed the lengthening days too - it really does give you a psychological boost.

We have some shoots appearing in the garden but most of the signs of spring I've seen so far have been from people sharing pics on social media. We did go walking in the Dales last weekend but the snow was fairly thick on the ground at the time so it definitely felt like winter was holding fast onto the countryside there.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 13:55:38, 06/02/19 »
Just been on my first trip after 2 weeks laid up with a bad cold and chest problems.  Everywhere is still very wet but the snowdrops well on and the odd daffodil is out too. We can't count lambs as a spring sign - round here they start in November.  However, with all the wet there was a staggering amount of frog spawn to be seen.
Solvitur Ambulando

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 14:33:53, 06/02/19 »
So far this season I've only managed two days out on the planks. Once on alpine skis at Cairngorm there was only the shortened beginners tow open so we went off piste and hit rocks. Last weekend I had a day on cross country skis in the forest at Glenmore, lovely blue sky day on violet wax (0 degree C to -2 degree C). I was hoping it would last till this coming weekend but Friday into Saturday morning is forecast heavy rain, turning colder later in the week but might be too late.

Who know, last year the beast from the east wasn't until March so there is still hope but so far a very poor ski season. 

staggerindragon

« Reply #12 on: 15:53:37, 06/02/19 »
"Wow!  What a hairstyle   "

:P   Blow dried by the Polar Vortex 5000 deluxe!

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 16:40:42, 06/02/19 »
Hiked on Abberley Hill today, & it was grand. Did not see any lambs but did see, Daffs, Snowdrops, Deer with two Stags & plenty of birds. A Robin was singing his heart out at one stage..It certainly raises spirits.! O0 O0
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 18:37:45, 06/02/19 »
We don’t have snowdrops, but we still have snow in the garden.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy