Author Topic: The little items that make hiking so much better.  (Read 8706 times)

Marsden Moor

Re: The little items that make hiking so much better.
« Reply #30 on: 17:24:15, 10/03/18 »
I’ve put some metal split rings on me rucksack zips so much easier especially with cold fingers

naturegirl

« Reply #31 on: 23:22:13, 27/03/18 »
Handwarmers!

My hands are always cold, and sometimes the tips of my fingers get white (Raynauds)
I've used the liquid ones (those you have to boil to reset) but the heat is gone after a few minutes.

My husband gave me a really good one - rechargeable - recently, from HOTT, just have to charge it via USB and once charged the heating can last for many hours. Just make sure you get a powerful one (mine is 10000 mAH) otherwise the battery won't last as long.

Rather be walking

« Reply #32 on: 12:26:29, 28/03/18 »
Use Solid fuel hand warmers, last about 4 - 5 hours. I get spare fuel sticks from angler shops.

Jon.
““The hardest part was coming to terms with the constant dispiriting discovery that there is always more hill.”
― Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

RogerA

« Reply #33 on: 16:51:36, 29/03/18 »
I’ve put some metal split rings on me rucksack zips so much easier especially with cold fingers

I just ordered some of these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B017W0Q1YE/
at 18p for 10 delivered you cant really argue and may be better than metal split rings - they havent arrived yet so dont know the quality.

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 20:18:05, 29/03/18 »
I just ordered some of these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B017W0Q1YE/
at 18p for 10 delivered you cant really argue and may be better than metal split rings - they havent arrived yet so dont know the quality.
How can they charge just 18p for 10 units with free delivery when a second class stamp now costs 58p ? :o
Regards Keith

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 20:37:26, 29/03/18 »

How can they charge just 18p for 10 units with free delivery when a second class stamp now costs 58p ? :o
Regards Keith

The Chinese Government supports manufacturers who export by funding the postage costs. The Chinese Post Office has a reciprocal agreement with Royal Mail, so China Post do not pay Royal Mail anything.

I buy quite a lot of £1 items off ebay and it still amazes me that even if you take the cost of a jiffy-bag (20-30-40p) how do they do it ?

Tin

« Reply #36 on: 20:44:31, 29/03/18 »

The Chinese Government supports manufacturers who export by funding the postage costs. The Chinese Post Office has a reciprocal agreement with Royal Mail, so China Post do not pay Royal Mail anything.

That makes sense...a bit odd though that if you choose the bulk buy you're paying 6 times the price.

GordonHorwich

« Reply #37 on: 21:41:20, 31/03/18 »
Gunwharfman -

Earplugs - In any weather a good nights sleep.

Ipad Mini - I'm a big reader and I have the Kindle app downloaded, good for music and the odd downloaded video.

I have to agree about the iPad mini. At first you might think it a bit of a luxury but I was backpacking (mix of camping/hotels) the Summer before last on the GR36 in Normandy and using Viewranger on it was all the mapping I needed to help my find my way back from the GR36 to the town where I was going to stay before catching the train back to Caen (although one footpath was challenging needing a diversion). Just load up your maps when you have WiFi or use a bit of data on your phone (which now costs the same as if you were in the UK). Also use it with my OSMaps subscription. Plus as stated above.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 12:42:53, 01/04/18 »
I wore an Ipad mini around my neck in a polythene soft case. One day a cow with horns charged at me, biffed me in the chest and knocked me off my feet down a bank. My screen cracked with the impact, its still works but my screen now often just shows horizontal lines. I should throw it away but its just nostalgia that makes me keep it.

Ozymandiac

« Reply #39 on: 11:07:59, 16/04/18 »
I didn't see it get mentioned yet: a blindfold (sleeping mask). I get to sleep much faster when it's absolutely dark, and we've seen multiple campings where the light pollution is dominant.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 11:47:04, 16/04/18 »
I decided against one of those. I actually like daylight and waking very early. I use one at home though, my wife can read in bed until the early hours. I've tried reading in bed but cannot get past a page before I'm fast asleep.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 14:12:37, 16/04/18 »
Fruit pastilles.  I love a tube of good old fashioned fruit pastilles.

If I can't get them,  then wine gums are a distant second best.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Ozymandiac

« Reply #42 on: 08:25:09, 19/04/18 »
I decided against one of those. I actually like daylight and waking very early. I use one at home though, my wife can read in bed until the early hours. I've tried reading in bed but cannot get past a page before I'm fast asleep.

Haha yes. I think we're agreed on preferring not to use them, it's more of a necessary evil for me when the camping is using lanterns.

I like the fruit pastilles suggestion: something to chew on when you're having a tough ascent  :)

Troggy

« Reply #43 on: 08:41:10, 19/04/18 »
If it's just a hike I'm on, I always fancy having a stove to make a brew, rather than carry a flask or bottle of water. There's something relaxing about the little ritual and I enjoy the rest and the view while I'm waiting for my tea.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 20:57:48, 19/04/18 »
On a wild camping wet night, miles from the nearest pub but with a hip flask full of brandy, hopefully with a good wifi signal, a decent sized screen and be able to watch a good film before dozing off.

I have to confess I've never done it but I often day dream about such an occasion. One day I'm sure my luck will be in.

I've just finished watching 'In the heat of the night' with Sidney Poiter and Rod Steiger, what a great film, good photography and colours, good sound and clear speech. An ideal watch!

So a full hip flash for me and the brandy, Courvoisier of course!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy