Author Topic: GO Outdoors taken over by JD Sports  (Read 7124 times)

fernman

• Veteran Member
GO Outdoors taken over by JD Sports
« on: 09:17:07, 03/12/16 »
Full article here:
http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2016/11/28/jd-sports-snaps-up-go-outdoors-for-112m

What I didn't know before reading it was that (I quote) "JD Sports owns the Blacks, Millets, Tiso and Ultimate Outdoors chains, as well as sports shops under its own and 13 other names. Pentland Group, which owns the Berghaus brand, is a majority shareholder in JD Sports."

Good or bad, what do you think?

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: GO Outdoors taken over by JD Sports
« Reply #1 on: 10:29:43, 03/12/16 »
Sounds like a paper-shuffling exercise to me.  These are all "retail outlets" and not "manufacturers" although, if Berghaus (a manufacturer) is a majority shareholder, we might see more Berghaus stuff in the existing stores, possibly  :-\

If JD Sports already own Blacks, Millets, etc. and they still exist as shops "on the high street" then I'm inclined to think we'll not see JD Sports shops replacing GO Outdoors and, as consumer, we won't really notice any difference at all.

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:35:40, 03/12/16 »
You seem optomistic, Mel. If GO become as carppy as sportsdirect then I think the few serious outdoorsy folks will be shopping elsewhere. Yes, I do occasionally buy items from sportsdirect but it tends to be sundries rather than clothing, unless its joggers for lounging around the house.
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:52:04, 03/12/16 »
You seem optomistic, Mel. If GO become as carppy as sportsdirect then I think the few serious outdoorsy folks will be shopping elsewhere. Yes, I do occasionally buy items from sportsdirect but it tends to be sundries rather than clothing, unless its joggers for lounging around the house.

It's JD Sports who are taking over Go, not Sports Direct.  I agree it would have been a disaster if it had been Sports Direct.

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:55:35, 03/12/16 »
Ah, my mistake.  O0
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:17:16, 03/12/16 »
It's JD Sports who are taking over Go, not Sports Direct.  I agree it would have been a disaster if it had been Sports Direct.

According to posts I've read on the forum today, in the "Recommend me a coat" thread in the Gear board, Sports Direct hold shares in JD Sports. If that's correct, then there is a link between them.

(I also saw in that thread someone had already mentioned the takeover being discussed here, beating me by 3 days. Sorry about that!)

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:00:00, 03/12/16 »
.... Sports Direct hold shares in JD Sports. If that's correct, then there is a link between them.

I think having shares in a company means you get a cut of the profits and a say in how the business is run. The more shares you have, the more money you get  :-\

I still think it' just a paper shuffling exercise and we, as consumers, won't notice anything particularly different  :-\

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 23:09:19, 03/12/16 »
As a former marketing director, I would suggest there is no point in taking over rival stores unless you intend to reduce costs by 'harmonising' stocks, so it is likely you will see a narrower choice of gear.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 23:58:50, 04/12/16 »
Mebby so, but they could possibly be shooting themselves in the foot by doing so  :-\

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 00:01:16, 05/12/16 »
........ won't notice anything particularly different  :-\
OR, maybe we will ?
I see a monopoly forming on the horizon, with all the attendant price controls and lack/narrowing of choice (limited brands on offer etc) that it brings.
Unfortunately, I see nothing positive for the outdoor market as a result of this.
Personally I much prefer the smaller local 'independents' - which occasionally I come across (see separate/new thread).
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 00:20:29, 05/12/16 »
Well, like I say, if they do reduce stock/choice, they could be shooting themselves in the foot cos the consumers will shop elsewhere and the profits will go down. 

I suppose it might depend on who other shareholders are.  I'm fairly sure there will still be Berghaus stuff in these shops so if the likes of Paramo are shareholders too, we'll still see their stuff in there as well.

Did anybody notice any particular difference when Blacks/Millets was taken over?  Same difference I think.

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 00:45:08, 05/12/16 »
I have to confess that I am not a particular lover of GO Outdoors (I know that may go against the grain with some folk).
Only because it holds so much promise and every time I visit, I find myself walking away feeling disappointed.
I can't fully explain why this should be although each time seems to be due to different reasons. For example, my last call I was looking for a group storm shelter (Bothy Bag). Spent long enough wandering aimlessly around until I'd had enough and thought I'd seek professional help.
I spotted an assistant who'd grinned pleasantly at me when we passed as I was looking in another part of the store. Asked, in plain / simple terms what I was looking for and could immediately see by the response that she hadn't a clue what I'd just said.
Good job I wasn't looking for anything technical then !
Anyway, there's me going off topic again - sorry folks.
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

domtheone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 09:04:37, 05/12/16 »
^^^^
What he said.

More often than not, come away a tad disappointed. 

That said, I do have a card and do shop there a few times each year.

Overall, i'd be neutral/slightly negative on this deal.
If they don't like you going out, they'll love you coming in!

*Money back guarantee does not cover for **** weather!

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 17:29:11, 05/12/16 »
I have to confess that I am not a particular lover of GO Outdoors (I know that may go against the grain with some folk).
Only because it holds so much promise and every time I visit, I find myself walking away feeling disappointed.
I can't fully explain why this should be although each time seems to be due to different reasons. For example, my last call I was looking for a group storm shelter (Bothy Bag). Spent long enough wandering aimlessly around until I'd had enough and thought I'd seek professional help.
I spotted an assistant who'd grinned pleasantly at me when we passed as I was looking in another part of the store. Asked, in plain / simple terms what I was looking for and could immediately see by the response that she hadn't a clue what I'd just said.
Good job I wasn't looking for anything technical then !
Anyway, there's me going off topic again - sorry folks.

To be fair, Go Outdoors are the outdoors equivalent of B&Q. For example, I wouldn't ask anyone in B&Q for advise if I wanted to rewire my house or fit a new heating system. However, OK if you know what you're looking for and just want pointing in the right direction.

I agree though, I often wander around GO with my wallet burning a hole in my pocket only to leave feeling uninspired.

jkm

« Reply #14 on: 22:07:52, 05/12/16 »
Diversity and choice are good things and this merger will surely lead to a little less.

Perhaps I am a bit of a gear snob, but the range in go has dropped considerably in the last few years.

Equipe brands (Rab etc) at in far shorter supply.
The 'exclusive' to go outdoors items are often made down to a price and have lesser spec.

Blacks was good 10 years ago but then it ended up just selling the same cheaper tat as milletts and to much casual outdoorsy stuff like weird fish. If you want eurohike and Peter storm, milletts sell it (and own the brands) so why sell the same stuff in blacks as well?

In the larger town near me there used to be a milletts, an independent and  an outdoors group store (owned by the scouts association and taken over by milletts) and a blacks. So we ended up with 2 x milletts and 1 x blacks, all selling the same low end gear in 1/2 mile of each other.
A couple of years on a Cotswold outdoors opened and the blacks and  one of the milletts closed almost overnight.
The independent and Cotswolds are doing fine though. The offer different ranges and brands and coexist happily.

Personally I would prefer to see less chains owning the brands they sell. A manufacturer-wholesaler-retailer chain seems a more healthy relationship to me.
« Last Edit: 22:11:52, 05/12/16 by jkm »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy