Author Topic: Eston Nab / Moor - Xmas excess burnoff  (Read 3230 times)

ukmase

• Veteran Member
Eston Nab / Moor - Xmas excess burnoff
« on: 16:43:37, 30/12/07 »
I was starting to wonder when i would ever get out again, so i took the opportunity to go to the gateway to the North York Moors which is just down the road from me.

Eston Nab at 242m is a small Hump but is a reasonable hike up to the top. I parked at Flats Lane county Park. I walked out of the park and fell over coming down a hill. I was covered in mud and laughed at such a bad start to a walk. I picked up a footpath and headed for Eston Nab. The ascent was slippy but managable, the views over industrial Teeside are really good. On the summit were BT pilons, a trig point and a chimney from an old brick works. There are some small cliff drops to the North West which carry the usual North East graffiti you expect.

The weather quickly changed to horrible wet mist and i decided to descend around the eastern edge of Eston Moor. On the way down i could spot the outline in the clouds of Roseberry Topping and when it cleared Captains Cook mounement was visible. 

Once the descent had fininshed i picked up the A171 and headed back to the car. The walk was around 5.5miles and took no longer than 2 1/4 hours. I packed my backpack full of tins to the brim to give me an extra workout.

Photos can be found on my blog http://ukmase.wordpress.com/

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
Re: Eston Nab / Moor - Xmas excess burnoff
« Reply #1 on: 16:54:48, 30/12/07 »
Me and the dog bagged Eston Nab on a drizzly day in NOvember. Sounds like we did pretty much the same walk, though, due to being navigationally challenged, I got a bit confused leaving the Country Park (sad, I know...) and ended up battling some fast traffic at the top of the road..... The view is brill for connoiseurs of cooling towers, though!  I bet its a good view at night.....
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

ukmase

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:13:03, 30/12/07 »
Ha, that is exactly what happened to me, i ended up going [censored] first down a slippy bank and ended up on the A171.

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:13:13, 30/12/07 »
I quite enjoyed this report.  I especilly liked the picture of Carr Pond, rather a bleak, forlorn little place  :o

It never ceases to amaze me the extent people will go to to try and spoil it for others!  Graffitti all the way up there!  I can't fathom it, why would it enter their heads to drag a tin of paint up a big hill and splash some stupid tag on a rock? Odd. Very odd.

Still, good show UKmase, hope your bum isn't too sore  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy