Author Topic: Mountain rescue blasts 'foolish' families rescued from Welsh peak by helicoper  (Read 3891 times)

TheGUYuk

• Veteran Member
Mountain rescue blasts 'foolish' families rescued from Welsh peak by helicoper
Two families from Manchester were blasted by rescuers after being airlifted off one of Britain’s highest peaks.
The group of three adults and 11 children were branded ‘foolish’ after getting lost in the dark as they made their way down from the summit of Cadair Idris in Snowdonia.     
The  rescue mission cost more than £4,000 and went on until midnight. The group, which included children aged between eight and 15, had set off to climb the 3,000ft mountain at 11am  on Wednesday.
Around 10 hours later they became stuck on a slope while making their  way down the south side as it began to go dark
http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1585805_mountain-rescue-blasts-foolish-families-rescued-from-welsh-peak-by-helicoper
 >:( :-X

Peakbagger

• Veteran Member
Since when has Cadair Idris been a 3,000ft mountain?! And one of Britain's highest mountains? There's a fair few hundred other mountains in Britain that are far higher than Cadair Idris! Excellent piece of journalism with some really thorough research. ::)
« Last Edit: 20:42:12, 10/08/12 by Peakbagger »
Current Munro tally: 78 out of 282 completed so far.

All 190 Welsh Nuttalls completed.

TheGUYuk

• Veteran Member
Since when has Cadair Idris been a 3,000ft mountain?! And one of Britain's highest mountains? There's fair few hundred other mountains in Britain that far higher than Cadair Idris! Excellent piece of journalism with some really thorough research. ::)
;D ;D ;D You tell them Mike ;D

Peakbagger

• Veteran Member
;D ;D ;D You tell them Mike ;D

Take a look at the comments beneath the article on your link... ;)

TheGUYuk

• Veteran Member
Take a look at the comments beneath the article on your link... ;)
Don't know what your talking about Mike ;) :D  It is just health debate about inaccurate reporting ;D  ;) ::) :-[ :-X Never stops Politicians :o

Andy Broadley

• Veteran Member
The British press are not noted for letting something as trivial as fact get in the way of a good story.

I take the point about it not being 3000 feet, and granted I have yet to encounter Cadir Idris, but didn't they find a body there not long back? Which suggests it's not a mountain to be underestimated.
« Last Edit: 06:41:14, 11/08/12 by Andy Broadley »
The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step

Country Walking 1000 Mile Challenge 2017  623.5  miles :)

Peakbagger

• Veteran Member
I take the point about it not being 3000 feet, and granted I have yet to encounter Cadir Idris, but didn't they find a body there not long back? Which suggests it's not a mountain to be underestimated.

Cadair Idris, like any mountain in the UK, should never be underestimated. There are steep cliffs and crags where the unwary can find themselves in serious trouble. Being near the coast it often finds itself in the clag so navigation can be tricky. People have certainly died up there, and yes, there was a recent fatality. I'd say that it's no worse than any other mountain in Snowdonia and the well prepared will have no difficulties.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy