Author Topic: Replacing salt  (Read 2095 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Replacing salt
« Reply #15 on: 15:53:59, 03/07/19 »
I've never replaced salt, in fact I've never given it a thought, perhaps I should. The only time I think I needed salt was when I hiked from a long way off to St. Jean Pied du Port, France in very hot sunshine and a cloudless sky in 2015. When I entered the town about 5pm I was on the verge of passing out, I was exhausted, dizzy, could not focus my eyes and I know that my speech was slurred. I managed to stagger and sit down outside a cafe and have water, then coffee, cake, and a large Peach Melba ice cream (I still remember that Peach Melba!) and was then dreamingly OK. I found the campsite, put up my tent and slept until dawn the following day. No known after effects. Was this a salt issue perhaps?

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 17:33:48, 04/07/19 »
I've never replaced salt, in fact I've never given it a thought, perhaps I should. The only time I think I needed salt was when I hiked from a long way off to St. Jean Pied du Port, France in very hot sunshine and a cloudless sky in 2015. When I entered the town about 5pm I was on the verge of passing out, I was exhausted, dizzy, could not focus my eyes and I know that my speech was slurred. I managed to stagger and sit down outside a cafe and have water, then coffee, cake, and a large Peach Melba ice cream (I still remember that Peach Melba!) and was then dreamingly OK. I found the campsite, put up my tent and slept until dawn the following day. No known after effects. Was this a salt issue perhaps?

Not necessarily lack of salt.  Simply being very low on fluids can cause all of the above and is a dangerous condition to get into. 

Lack of salt tends to manifest itself in fatigue and muscle cramps.  I have experienced it several times mainly back in my youth when I knew no better.  I am one of those that sweats out a lot of salt. To the extent that it can sometimes leave salt deposites on my skin.  You can drink plenty.  But if you sweat out the salt and do not replace it, you will suffer for it.  Less dangerous than not drinking, but still to be avoided, if like me you sweat out a lot of salt.

gary m

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 11:31:28, 05/07/19 »
Thanks for the replies, I have just bought high 5 zero tablets, will try them
you have 1 life live it

Pitboot

« Reply #18 on: 13:46:50, 05/07/19 »
As a young soldier in Cyprus in 1974 I was issued salt tablets, in fact there were bowls of them on the table at every meal. My next tour over there was 1984 and by then you never saw a salt tablet. Serving in Belize, which is a bit warm and humid, salt tablets were nowhere to be seen. I think that by the mid 80s opinions had changed and common sense had prevailed, we get enough salt in our food, and some authorities say we take too much salt, so who to believe?

As an addendum, the latest ration packs issued to forces serving in hot conditions contain packs of isotonic drink powder, lots of them per pack for 24 hrs, and the salt content of the food therein has been much reduced. (If you ever get the chance to try some the cherry drink is great!)

I sweat like crazy on any walk and do not feel the need to take anything other than water but we are all different, take what ever works for you, would be my advice.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 15:43:09, 05/07/19 »
TBH my use of electrolyte replacement tablets is more about covering up the plastic taste  of the water.
Solvitur Ambulando

Pitboot

« Reply #20 on: 15:50:38, 05/07/19 »
 ;D ;D ;D O0

KimE

« Reply #21 on: 08:46:29, 22/07/19 »
I have put table salt in lemonade when i worked with brushcutting i also had a lot of water with me. Lapmen use to salt their coffee instead of sugar to not get shaky then they havnt eated so much. I bring dry meat or beer sausage on walks its salty enough for me.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy