Author Topic: Tent Purchase - Made the decision today.  (Read 5166 times)

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
Tent Purchase - Made the decision today.
« on: 19:43:36, 12/03/18 »

Virtually house bound with a bad back for the last month - I can hardly bend over to put slip-on shoes on, let alone lift a rucksac so getting cabin fever decide to have a little retail therapy.
I have been looking for some time at a new tent - I want a 'Rolls Royce' but on a 'Ford' budget, like the looks of the MSR Hubba Hubba NX 2-Man tent but at £350-£400 I cannot justify it.
I have spent many, many 'happy hours' looking at various tent options, my requirements are :

1) Under 2 kgs, less is better
2) 2-Man (only 1 man but like plenty of room when staying somewhere more than just overnight).
3) Sitting head height.
4) With Fly-Sheet and plenty of ventilation
5) Packs fairly small.
6) Affordable on a pension.

The MSR Hubba Hubba certainly fits the criteria (except for No6), I eventually found a dead ringer Chinese copy of the MSR – in fact in some ways a slightly better spec.

Comparisons :
                                                        MSR                                                  Chinese Copy
Tent Sleeping area ‘footprint’         1270mm x 2130mm                          1350mm x 2100mm
‘Porch’ size (2-off)                          760mm                                              700mm
Height                                              1000mm                                            1000mm
Fly Sheet                                          20D 1200mm HH                             20D 2000mm HH
Floor / Groundsheet                         30D 3000mm HH                             40D 4000mm HH
Seams Double stitched                     Yes                                                    Yes
Seams taped                                      Yes                                                    Yes
Weight                                              1.77kg                                              1.80kg
Pack size                                          460mm x 150mm                             470mm x 190mm
Price                                                 £379*                                               £75**

*Go Outdoors price with membership card.
** Amazon UK delivered price.

The two tents :

The feedback / reviews on Amazon (for what they are worth) are all very positive - eg :

[font=]Would buy ? - a thousand times[/font][/url][font=]
[font=]June 13, 2017[/font][font=]
[font=]Colour: Eagle 21A-GY 2P[/font][font=]| [font=]Verified Purchase[/font][font=]
[font=]Just like the MSR Hubba Hubba. I camped right next to one and we could find only one difference, and that was the entrances. Mine zips straight down, and the MSR zips off to an angle and has a little more room on the outside vestibule. This one came with a removable hammock stuff holder that fits up in the ceiling, and that was way cool. All the ropes and zipper areas has reflective tape and really glows at night when you hit it with a flash light. Easy to set up. Been on two trips and the second one we had two microburst near by and tons of rain and this tent held up without any issues to wind and rain. I will buy two more when they come available I like it so much. Oh I did fail to mention it is only 3 lbs 9 oz with everything. Yeah!!!!!  

« Last Edit: 19:52:13, 12/03/18 by alan de enfield »

Jac

• Veteran Member
Re: Tent Purchase - Made the decision today.
« Reply #1 on: 11:27:21, 13/03/18 »
I now have tent-envy >:(
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:54:39, 13/03/18 »
Well done, looks a very good purchase. No worries if it goes wrong just buy the Naturehike again and again and still be quids in. I have chosen a different route for this year, Bivi and tarp but if it doesnt work I plan to buy a Naturehike Targa 1.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:03:21, 13/03/18 »

Well done, looks a very good purchase. No worries if it goes wrong just buy the Naturehike again and again and still be quids in. I have chosen a different route for this year, Bivi and tarp but if it doesnt work I plan to buy a Naturehike Targa 1.

Should anything go disasterously wrong then the individual components are available - just as an example the 'footprint' (Ground sheet protector) is available for £9 delivered, the MSR one is about £50.

If it turns out to be a bad decision I havn't lost a great deal and the Grand-kids have a play tent.

You (I) can always use the fly-sheet, footprint and poles as a 'tarp-tent'

shoarthing

« Reply #4 on: 15:21:30, 13/03/18 »
Brilliant find! . . . only iffy feature is the inner-first pitch; but at that price. . . . .

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 15:31:47, 13/03/18 »

Brilliant find! . . . only iffy feature is the inner-first pitch; but at that price. . . . .

Ahhhhh - but you can (I checked it out prior to purchase).
Just use the footprint which holds the poles in the correct shape / size and the tent clips in underneath.
(Horrible colour) here's a picture :

WolfWise 2 Person Backpacking Tent

shoarthing

« Reply #6 on: 15:48:40, 13/03/18 »
 . . . Ha! Well-researched. Interesting to hear how that works in practice.

Realistically - well, in my experience - in blighty, inner-first is not that big a hassle - on a multi-dayer in typical weather you're going to have the inner in a dry-bag, & the outer (footprint) in a net, draining on the outside of yer pack.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 16:53:47, 13/03/18 »

. . . Ha! Well-researched. Interesting to hear how that works in practice.

Realistically - well, in my experience - in blighty, inner-first is not that big a hassle - on a multi-dayer in typical weather you're going to have the inner in a dry-bag, & the outer (footprint) in a net, draining on the outside of yer pack.

See the video -  a brief shot of the outside-first starts at about 2 min 20 seconds to 3 min 12 seconds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtw4hU6Ca8Q

I did find several videos showing it done that way.
« Last Edit: 16:59:07, 13/03/18 by alan de enfield »

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 17:15:28, 13/03/18 »

Its arrived (next day delivery)

Total package (excluding footprint) weight 1810 grams (Advertised as 1800g)
Carry bag = 65g
Tent = 540g
Fly sheet = 520g
Poles & bag = 572g
4x Guy ropes = 37g
10x Pegs = 78g

Footprint separate = 230g

Not yet erected as I still cannot bend but the only two (slightly) disappointing features :

1) Its a bit of a 'shiney' green. Not the best for hiding away in the woods. 'Matt Olive' would be better.
2) Tent pegs are only 150mm, which I tend to find can be a little short in softer ground.

Sewing, Zips etc all look fine.
Will make a full report when I get it put up.

humansnail

« Reply #9 on: 20:39:05, 13/03/18 »

Looking forward to hearing how it turns out! Hope it does the job!  O0 Those nature hike tents do seem to be incredibly good value and your original requirements list is exactly the same as mine (just replace pension with poorly paid job!) :)

The Wondering Wanderer

« Reply #10 on: 00:41:40, 14/03/18 »
I recently started a post about a tent I was planning to buy. You may have changed my mind.

Dammit I hate being so indecisive!

Now I'm going to spend ages comparing. Looking at all the pros and cons and trying to decide which one is best for me.

Better get on it!
I'm wondering about wandering and wonder where I might wander if I wander while I wonder.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 08:03:20, 14/03/18 »

The world is now a very small place and the choices (almost) unlimited - they even do a 1-man version at 1063 gram

https://www.naturehike.com/taga-1-ultralight-one-man-tent/

If you click on the tabs at the top of the page you'll see the full range of their equipment.

Once found the one you want, select the item / part number then do a google search for sellers of the item (ie  NH17T140-J)  

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 16:54:57, 14/03/18 »
For me personally, I'd go for the Targa 1. I have used my Marmot Pulsar for a couple or so years and its proved to be a very good tent, especialy spacious and enough height to sit upright and be able to slide forward and back a few inches. It has one very imprtant feature, on the non door opening side it has a 18" horizontal zip, so useful to put out stuff you dont necessarily want in your tent while you sleep, perhaps a pole, a Uriwell, a small bottle of water perhaps, you know this and that!

When I was looking at the Targa I could see similarities, good head height and interior space (thats how I read and view it from the description, I hope I'm not wrong) and a circular zipped area on the non door side of the tent. I'm sure a great place to get rid of stuff that  can stay outside of your sleeping area but still be under the outer cover.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 15:06:56, 16/03/18 »

Amazing -m you can even get a 'conservatory' (extension) for these tents
About £45 and only weighs 750g

T2wvX_XnhbXXXXXXXX_!!72051245

The Wondering Wanderer

« Reply #14 on: 18:36:55, 16/03/18 »
Stop making me want things.

I'm very irresponsible and might end up on a spending spree I can't really afford.
I'm wondering about wandering and wonder where I might wander if I wander while I wonder.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy