Author Topic: New Boot suggestions  (Read 1679 times)

EnglishHiker

New Boot suggestions
« on: 11:55:46, 04/11/19 »
Hi everyone,

After a boggy trek through the Moors yesterday, I unfortunately found that my Salomon Comet 3D GTX boots have finally started to let water in. I've had these boots for years and I've been very happy with them. And to be clear, I think it was more than likely neglect on my part as to why they have finally failed.

Now I'm looking for a new pair of boots to replace them.
I'll primarily be using them in the winter (UK) for walks in the Moors and hill walking. I would also like to do some of our mountains in the near future - Helvellyn, Snowdon and Ben Nevis, though likely not in the winter.
I don't have an unlimited amount of money to spend and I don't want to go over £150, though if there is a pair out there that are really worth it, I could be persuaded.

I would perhaps like to do something like Helvellyn in the winter in the future (once I've had some training), and I've been told crampons would be necessary, so perhaps something crampon compatible just to future proof myself?

Any suggestions? Ideally nothing totally eye jarring colour wise  ;D

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: 12:00:11, 04/11/19 by EnglishHiker »
Check out my new blog at
www.EnglishHiker.co.uk [nofollow]

Pitboot

Re: New Boot suggestions
« Reply #1 on: 12:40:10, 04/11/19 »
Be prepared for a torrent of suggestions.

I recently got some Hanwag Tatra boots, non lined, they are superb, and also walking crampon compatible. They exceed your budget but consider that they can be resoled and should last for years.

EnglishHiker

« Reply #2 on: 12:47:47, 04/11/19 »
Be prepared for a torrent of suggestions.

I recently got some Hanwag Tatra boots, non lined, they are superb, and also walking crampon compatible. They exceed your budget but consider that they can be resoled and should last for years.

Well funny enough, I did see these online, well the GTX version anyway. They were the boot I thought at the back of my head I'd perhaps go over budget on...

Check out my new blog at

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:52:33, 04/11/19 »
All fabric/leather combination boots will fail eventually and it's usually the waterproof liner or stitching which fails regardless of the amount of care you give them or the sole unit starts to separate from the upper and to be fair Salomon do not have the best reputation for waterproofing or longevity. In todays market I personally think your budget of £150 is a little on the low side for the specification you are looking for.
My advice would be for you to buy boots which are suitable for and match the type of walking that you do the most.

I would advise against seeking out and buying boots which are specifically rated as crampon compatible for a one off trip which you may or may not do in the future as I'm sure that would find them too stiff and uncomfortable for the majority of walking you do. You will find a 3 season boot  from one of the quality manufacturers/brands will be more than adaquate for your needs and most are stiff enough to accomodate and be used with C1 flexible crampons for a short one off trip as long as the terrain and conditions are not too demanding.

Although slightly above your budget this earlier post may be worth a read http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=39039.msg555567#msg555567

Have a look at the Tethera and Nordkapp models in particular which will meet all your needs but it depends which model and width fitting suits and fits your feet the best. Although both models are not specifically crampon rated by Altberg numerous forum members here and elsewhere have used them with C1 flexible crampons in winter conditions without a problem. Of the two models the Nordkapp has the advantage of the higher rubber rand which gives more protection to the front of the boot than the rand on the Tethera. All Altberg boots can be resoled at the Altberg factory as and when required.

If you are within reasonable travelling distance I would also highly recommend that you visit Whalley Warm & Dry https://www.whalleyoutdoor.co.uk/boot-fitting-service/ who are an Altberg Premier Retailer and I cannot recommend their boot fitting service highly enough. Customers travel from all over the country to use their boot fitting skills and services and are highly recommended by many other forum members.

Once you have been properly measured and tried some on and have decided which model, size and width fitting you require there are occasional bargains to be had online if you are patient and prepared to wait for the right bargain.
« Last Edit: 15:32:11, 04/11/19 by kinkyboots »

EnglishHiker

« Reply #4 on: 16:14:06, 04/11/19 »
Thanks for the reply kinkyboots.

Whalley Outdoors is almost bang on 100 miles away unfortunately. It looks close to the forest of Bowl and though. Could perhaps make a dayout out of it.
Check out my new blog at

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:32:42, 04/11/19 »
Is the Altberg Factory at Richmond any closer for you?

2b Racecourse Road
Gallowfields Industrial Estate
Richmond
North Yorkshire
DL10 4TG

It wouldn't be my personal preference as the customer service (as experienced by myself and other forum members) isn't anywhere near as good as that at Whalley Warm & Dry but when needs must.........

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:44:32, 04/11/19 »
I agree with Kinkyboots views about fabric/leather boots, I have bought 3, or is it 4, my brain is beginning to become confused about thow many? Anyway, every pair has leaked. The one thing I have liked about every pair is that all of them were supremely comfortable, a real joy (when my feet were dry) to walk in.

Alongside these fabric/leather boots, I have had all-leather boots and have always bought Berghaus Superlights and have no real complaints about their waterproofness, comfort or ability to walk a long way in them. My last pair, in November 2018 finally gave up after two years and leaked. The two previous Superlights boots I owned never did, the soles just wore out. The boots also stayed comfortable when hiking with my rucksack on my back. I also prefer to wear midi-boots, I tried higher ones (Salomon 4D's) but they just cut into my lower leg. I like hiking shoes as well but not necessarily for hiking in.

I'm a hiker who tries to have a maximum spend of £120 and so far have always just about managed to get away with it. My Superlight's have taken me on the flat, up and down hills, up and down mountains and over long distances, e.g. Pennine Way. I recently bought a new pair. I did a minor change, instead of buying size 7, (or was it 7.5?) this time I bought size 8. I always insert Sorbothane's into them and the 8's seem at the moment are just that much more comfortable. Hopefully this comfort will last.

EnglishHiker

« Reply #7 on: 18:14:10, 04/11/19 »
Is the Altberg Factory at Richmond any closer for you?

2b Racecourse Road
Gallowfields Industrial Estate
Richmond
North Yorkshire
DL10 4TG

It wouldn't be my personal preference as the customer service (as experienced by myself and other forum members) isn't anywhere near as good as that at Whalley Warm & Dry but when needs must.........

Ah good shout. The factory is much closer (just under 40 miles away) Definitely a possibility!
Check out my new blog at

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:16:01, 04/11/19 »

Ah good shout. The factory is much closer (just under 40 miles away) Definitely a possibility!
We got our boots there.  Service not the greatest but adequate.  Top notch boots though.  Mrs N needed hers stretched to accommodate her bunion, they did a great job and she still swears by them, more comfortable than her trainers.
While I was there a chap came in asking what the wait was for custom made boots.  Apparently at the time it was 5 years as they were maxed out.
Solvitur Ambulando

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 20:47:14, 04/11/19 »
I’ve also been to Whalley Warm and Dry, and although the boot fitting I had was superb, I found the choice of boots limited. I did come away with the Alt-Berg Mallerstang. A great winter boot, feet always stay dry in any conditions.
But they are heavy, and after a few hours walking they become uncomfortable, as is common with a stiff sole boot.

I have just purchased a new 3 season boot to replace my Mammut Mercury GTX which I love, but are letting in water now.
My priority was comfort, waterproof and lightweight. So I’ve gone for the Scarpa Terra. This boot will do most of the year round with less uncomfortable Altberg days when crampons are needed.
« Last Edit: 21:46:11, 04/11/19 by jontea »
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

Ronin83

« Reply #10 on: 09:12:42, 05/11/19 »
This has been discussed to death, so...

Waterproofness = leather boots and keep waxing them. Gtx optional

Comfort = whatever suits you. Fine tune with insoles.

Budget = up to you, but don't scrimp on boots. This is the the area where you go all out (for your needs). Buy cheap fleeces, bags, socks, hats even raincoats if you must, but don't be tight with footwear. Doesn't necessarily mean spending a fortune though cos you might not need to.

Could always try some military boots from ebay/Facebook Market place. You can get them usually cheap and sell on without much loss if they don't suit you.
Eg...

Haix high liability or cold wet weather boots (gtx lined

Altberg defender boots (not gtx lined)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy