Author Topic: Another zip wire plan, this time across Thirlmere  (Read 39851 times)

Lakeland Lorry

Re: Another zip wire plan, this time across Thirlmere
« Reply #300 on: 10:31:30, 22/02/18 »
I still haven't made my mind up about the Honister Zip Wire.   I was against it when they applied last time, but I'm not so sure this time around.   I haven't really had time to read through the application yet.

I am thinking about putting in an objection to the United Utilities retrospective application for widening the track up to Fisher Crag.

UU posted this statement on their Twitter page yesterday:

Zip Off have just posted this on Twitter page.   The tracks look identical to me.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #301 on: 13:09:00, 22/02/18 »
That is pretty much what UU said to me when I queried why they had done it. They would have more chance of me believing them if they had 'improved' any other tracks in the area.

I feel that retrospective planning permission should never be granted and particularly not for an enormous organisation who have their own infrastructure team and legal department.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #302 on: 19:25:11, 22/02/18 »
Perhaps people think that it is inevitable that there will be a zip wire somewhere, with a constant stream of planning applications, so at least if it is there it is less obtrusive than over Thirlmere.
But I'm only guessing, you know what I think.

Some people aren't just thinking along those lines though, they were totally against Thirlmere but very pro Honister. It is more than thinking it is not as bad.

Mike Turner was interviewed on BBC Northwest news last night about his withdrawal of the Thirlmere plan - In response to reporter Dave Guest's question  Would you think of trying this somewhere else ?   " Yes absolutely, I stand by 100% the concept we put together at Thirlmere.  We already operate zip wires and I think the Lake District can accommodate a lot more."

I saw that just before on iplayer. I can't really write what I think about him on here  >:(

What's he trying to do, win a popularity contest?

;D He won't be winning any of those, he has to be the most unpopular person in the Lakes!

I still haven't made my mind up about the Honister Zip Wire.   I was against it when they applied last time, but I'm not so sure this time around.   I haven't really had time to read through the application yet.

Honister have worked very hard to make the plan acceptable, all the reasons it was rejected last time seem to have been addressed. It does seem to be a very reasonable application. It will be a tricky one for a lot of people. Is the side of a fell going to be an acceptable place for a zip wire? The plan was rejected the last time (along with the other reasons) because it was from a summit. For me personally, I could never agree it is a place for a zip wire. I love Fleetwith Pike and Black Star and the thought of the shouts and screaming of the people on the wire will spoil it for me and a lot of other people. And you will hear the screams, regardless of what the noise report says. Also it is the precedent that will be set. How many quarries and mines are there all over the Lake District? There are enough for Mike Turner to build quite a few zip wires.

I have to admit, I just don't see the attraction of going on a zip wire, isn't it something that belongs in a children's playground? Sorry if that offends anybody who likes going on them but it is just my opinion about zip wires. Perhaps if I did think of wires as being a grown up activity I might think a little differently.

Hate will never win

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #303 on: 10:30:13, 27/02/18 »
The LDNPA Planners have recommended that United Utilities retrospective planning application for the track up to Fisher Crag goes through unconditionally when it meets on 7th March.

Here's a link to the Planners report:   http://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/swiftlg/MediaTemp/68447-272229.pdf

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #304 on: 13:16:42, 27/02/18 »
Not surprised just disappointed, by both the recommendation and how few people objected.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #305 on: 19:10:48, 28/02/18 »
I am shocked that the planners have no problem with the mess made around the ruined shepherds bothy  :(
Hate will never win

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #306 on: 16:49:34, 01/03/18 »
I have just received this email from UU -:

"Dear Mr Sharman
You wrote to us recently regarding your concerns over the Treetop Trek proposals for the Thirlmere Activity Hub. We wanted to let you know that, following publication of the Lake District National Park Authority’s draft report on the plans originally proposed by Treetop Trek, we have now withdrawn our support for the zip wire proposals at Thirlmere. On the basis of the findings in LDNPA’s draft report we will not be facilitating any resubmission of the plans by the applicant.
We will however be continuing our forestry operations as normal in the Thirlmere valley. Our work on the Fisher Crag track is to allow access for forestry work and maintenance in the plantation at the top of the track.   This forms part of our overall plan to remove some of the overgrown conifers in the valley and encourage the growth of native broadleaf woodland which is better for wildlife. We need to do this to continue to manage the estate and maintain a beautiful and biodiverse valley at Thirlmere, for the benefit of visitors as well as water quality and wildlife.
Thank you for finding the time to contact us. If you have any questions following this decision please do not hesitate to get in touch.
Yours sincerely
Gaynor Murphy
Head of Stakeholder Relations"

So - they are no longer supporting the plan, suggesting that, as the plan is dependent on UU land and "assistance" (I think - please correct me if I'm wrong), this might be the nail in the coffin for the Thirlmere plan.  Good news I think!!

Paul

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #307 on: 17:24:50, 01/03/18 »
Yep, sounds like it's dead and buried then.   Wonder where TTT will be popping up next....
Not all those who wander are lost

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #308 on: 19:39:07, 01/03/18 »
I got the same email. Yes thank goodness it looks like Thirlmere is safe. If Honister gets approved I'm sure TTT will be popping up in a quarry or mine, there are quite a few to choose from, I think the ones on NT land will be a no go though!
Hate will never win

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #309 on: 20:01:34, 01/03/18 »
I know you're right but I think the wording of the draft planning report will have informed everybody that the impact on the existing landscape is important.  UU's reaction is, I think,  quite encouraging. 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy